Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Chevrolet 3100 should be arriving into the UK soon and will need a SVA test do anyone know where the best one to go to.I have of some places that rip you off any help would be most helpful Carl

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
so you've gone to all the trouble of importing and not looked at what else is involved :beuj:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's why i joined this forum iv'e applied for a 55/5 form a first time registered car,can someone tell me want's the best route.I know i should have looked into it before i bought it but it's done now.

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
That's why i joined this forum iv'e applied for a 55/5 form a first time registered car,can someone tell me want's the best route.I know i should have looked into it before i bought it but it's done now.
At least your in the right place now, lots of folks on here have a great deal of experience importing vehicles into this country. :tup:

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
It basically hinges on whether you have the original usa title. (logbook) and whether its modified or not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for all your help it's a 1953 350ci v8 engine,lowered,disc brakes,ECT.I have had message saying as it's over 10 years old it just needs a normal MOT.And is it true it dosn't need another MOT after that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The car as a US title,The guy i bought it from builds these Chevrolet 3100's and can have a completed one in around 1 month.I paid 20.000 dollars around £11500.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,138 Posts
Thank you for all your help it's a 1953 350ci v8 engine,lowered,disc brakes,ECT.I have had message saying as it's over 10 years old it just needs a normal MOT.And is it true it dosn't need another MOT after that.
It doesn't need an MOT to register it at all. Only time a pre 1960 vehicle needs an MOT is to transfer a number from it.

I'll be back in a bit and tell you legally what should happen and what, if you're lucky WILL happen.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,138 Posts
What SHOULD happen...

Higher rate of duty paid as low rate is only for STANDARD Historic vehicles.

This SHOULD make DVLA aware that it's not standard and request verification from a club on the Authorised V765 list.

They say it's modified outside 8 points system and needs BIVA.

You apply for BIVA test they say you can't because you bought it not built it.

YOU have to take it to pieces photograph yourself rebuilding it to BIVA spec and then reapply.

It passes and you then register it .

What happens if you are lucky.

Your shippers fill in HMRC form believing it to be standard and you get reduced rate duty.

You apply for registration using the Title document.

DVLA accept that without you being the 1 in 10 that gets inspected ( if that happens see first part of post ).

You drive it.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
They say it's modified outside 8 points system and needs BIVA.

You apply for BIVA test they say you can't because you bought it not built it.

YOU have to take it to pieces photograph yourself rebuilding it to BIVA spec and then reapply.

It passes and you then register it .
Therein lies the utter nonsense of this system. Someone who knows what they are doing builds something but for it to be legal someone without a clue has to take it apart and rebuild it......boy I feel safer knowing that now. Sheesh.....

Depending on where you live what will probably happen is tou send in your docs and your cash and they send you a V5c.
Your mileage may vary....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Kapri i have made inquiries and as soon as the engine's changed you must pay 10% duty fee.Thanks for reply mate

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,138 Posts
Therein lies the utter nonsense of this system. Someone who knows what they are doing builds something but for it to be legal someone without a clue has to take it apart and rebuild it......boy I feel safer knowing that now. Sheesh.....

Depending on where you live what will probably happen is tou send in your docs and your cash and they send you a V5c.
Your mileage may vary....
The guy that built it ( were he in THIS country ) could put it through and then sell it ,legally the correct way to do it. At least if they allow you to rebuild a BOUGHT motor you still have the opportunity to register it , they would be even more of a kick off if it was a simple NO?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts