Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Historian
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
great footage here from the first Big Go at Anderstorp including the visiting UK slingshots of Dennis Priddle and Clive Skilton.:tup:

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Why is it that Sweden was so heavily into hot rods and classic American cars more so than us in England? I always wondered about that.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
And strangely they drove on the left like we do till they changed over to the right in the 60s or 70s i think Mike. They changed over at 5am Sunday 3rd September 1967. All there cars were already left handdrive. There joining neirhbours all drove on the right Norway and Finland. I think every one was banned from the roads 24 hours or so while the army etc changed every thing round what a job that must have been.

·
[url=http://www.nobrain.d
14,365 Posts
Why is it that Sweden was so heavily into hot rods and classic American cars more so than us in England? I always wondered about that.
Steady Mike you keep wondering your give that nice on the tread-wheel an heart attack,>>

Come on it wasn't hard for them to change over as there's more people in London them there are in the whole of Sweden

Bob.......

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Hello Ken. Thanks for letting us know how they went about changing over. I had always guessed that they all stopped driving at a certain time and moved over to the other side of the road. Makes a lot more sense not driving for 24 hours.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
Don't quote me but I think it was for 10 minutes they stopped...

From the Volvo site:

On September 3, 1967, at 04.50 in the morning, the traffic everywhere in Sweden was directed over to the right side of the road and stopped. Everything stood absolutely still for 10 minutes, and at 05.00, when it started again, all road users in Sweden from heavy trucks to cyclists were already on the right side of the road, and they have stayed there since.

I hear the Irish are going to do it next year... starting with buses and lorries first!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts