Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I need to tap a hole to fit a 1/2" x 18 bolt, but nowhere seems to sell taps this size. Have I got a really odd size bolt or am I not looking in the right places for a tap?

Ta, Ady

·
Registered
274 Posts
Have you tried these?

RDGTOOLS

TELEPHONE 01422 845222
They have an online shop and also sell on fleabay
Nige

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
What's it off. UK or US?

Just had a look through my bible, and it's none of the usual ones.
Any chance you could drill and cut a new thread such as M14?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
im fairly sure 1/4 NPT is 1/2"od x 18tpi, it may also be a UK conduit thread? ll have a look tomorrow and see if I have a tap

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi V8Ian,

1/4 NPT makes sense as my bolt size measurer would only go half way up the thread in the 1/2" hole. It's an American throttle cable with a threaded bolt attached. How do you tap out a tapered thread or is the tap the same diameter through it's whole length?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
NP & NPT, or it may be NPT & NPTT, cant remember, National Pipe,& National Pipe Taper, then it may be National Pipe Thread, and National Pipe Taper Thread, havent had time to check my boxes of taps yet.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
it might be 1/4 npt, that is about 1/2" and 18 tpi. im sure i have 1/4 npt taps in the workshop, i will have a look in the morning, could pop one in the post for you to borrow (cheaper than buying one just for one hole). all it will cost is the postage and a donation to charity.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
i had a look and i have bspt but not npt (npt is the american thread) i will see if i can find one at work monday, if i can i will borrow it for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts