Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Rodders,

The 76 Plymouth 318 in my F100 has all of a sudden started making a tapping sound that gets faster as I rev up. I'm assuming it's a lifter or rod that needs attention, but whilst I try to find time to investigate, will it hurt to drive it about for the time being.

Thanks.

·
Full Bloody Rebel!
3,426 Posts
I know some folk run like that for a long time, but I'd rather not risk it! Best be safe and get investigating!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Exhaust manifold bolt/s loose/blown gasket, does it go away when you take your foot off???

Rocker come/ing loose, pull valve covers and check when on tickover (have plenty of rag around) also have a mate to switch engine off...!!!

Coupla things to keep you busy...!!!

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Is your oil pressure good?
My old Galaxie started doing that, it was the oil pick up was blocking up with black death and staving engine of oil!
Would damage engine big time if its a case of no oil getting around engine!!!

Cheers Rich

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
I had a horrid knocking noise that was driving me made and sounded like metal flexing on the bulkhead/chassis area

Drove me mad every time i went out ................ it transpired to be a metal bracket in the glove box

BUT

After changing my inlet for an after market one i developed a mis-fire which i went through everything dizzy carb timing even down too 3 inlet gaskets due to checking to see if the problem was blocked runners turned out to be 2 broken push rods 1 on each bank and only visable when the rocker covers were pulled it was due to 2 bolts being a tad to long :wanker:

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I had a horrid knocking noise that was driving me made and sounded like metal flexing on the bulkhead/chassis area

Drove me mad every time i went out ................ it transpired to be a metal bracket in the glove box

BUT

After changing my inlet for an after market one i developed a mis-fire which i went through everything dizzy carb timing even down too 3 inlet gaskets due to checking to see if the problem was blocked runners turned out to be 2 broken push rods 1 on each bank and only visable when the rocker covers were pulled it was due to 2 bolts being a tad to long :wanker:
That was on a small block chevy right?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts