Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Valve train tap on a rebuilt engine ............... replaced the new lifters with another set still there !!!!!!!!

Adjusted the lash ........ still there !

Checked pushrods .......... still there !

causes ?

(Can be heard at 2.30 onwards )

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,055 Posts
Warm it up til it ticks again, use a screwdriver as a stethoscope tp pinpoint the cylinder . Pull the plug lead and see if the noise remains, if it goes look at the exhaust gasket on that cylinder. if it remains check valve gear on that pot.

PS Still waiting on some measurements from you .

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Warm it up til it ticks again, use a screwdriver as a stethoscope tp pinpoint the cylinder . Pull the plug lead and see if the noise remains, if it goes look at the exhaust gasket on that cylinder. if it remains check valve gear on that pot.

PS Still waiting on some measurements from you .
Hi

As Kev said if it's not exhaust leak :beuj: I take it their Hyd tappets, if so why not try adjusting them while engine at very lowest idle possible, makes abit of a mess, but at least your find the bugger :tup:

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Cyl's 3 or 5 and not exhaust (checked :tup: )

I know im having sleepless nights and he is WELL PEEEEEED OFF WITH IT (im keeping the 9" here)

Could pressed steel roller rockers Fail ? and become noisy ?

The noise is there from start up but is most prominent on the vid from 2.30 :tup:

·
Stroker
5,458 Posts
Hi Vince,

if it aint an exhaust blow by...

I took Dr Dee's advice and adjusted my lash like this...

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11495

I was surprised how much some were out by my earlier attempts.
It sounds funny but the nuts on the rockers weren't that level looking across them before the adjustments and I just thought
that was a mix of tolerances. With the new adjustment the stud coming out the nuts all look the same length.

Purrs like a kitten now.

I did try winding them down with the rocker covers off, engine running but feck me the oil goes Icelandic volcano all over ya bay.

cheers
KJ

ps I had to change pushrod length to tidy the 'geometry' up as it had ali heads with thicker deck height.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts