Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new here so apologies if this question has been answered (I did search!). I'm thinking of building up a '32 Ford based on a new repro chassis with an early 60's Mopar (I know purists will cringe). I'm not 100% sure this is realistically possible with the BIVA and road tax bands. So, my main questions are:

• Are the BIVA regulations prohibitively restrictive for this sort of project (safety aspects for example)
  • If it does get through, what tax band would it fall in (I heard that it could be engine age related? If emissions-based I'm knackered!)

Thanks!

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,345 Posts
Link to manual below

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-vehicle-category-m1

Ever growing number of vehicles being put through. It DOESN'T have to look like a kit car if you take you time in choosing components. I have variety of pictures here of different vehicles which have been through the test though no 32s so far I have pics of 34s and 30's A, which all present the same sort of issues . ease of passing is also based on style of build / components used.

Taxation class is based on proven date of engine manufacture but apre '74 engine WON'T make it 'free' tax though it will put it in the basic tax bracket of £230pa ( or whatever it is currently). As a prove pre 73, it will be visiual smoke only both for teh BIVA test and for all future MOTs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! will have a read through that. It's all pretty interesting. and re-assuring in the end I suppose... would ideally like an old base vehicle but it seems cheaper to go with new chassis/body...? (something like Wisbech Engineering provide)

I was hoping it would be the standard tax class. Yay! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ah-ha!

I'd like to go for a traditional look, beam front suspension ideally but that's prob getting pricey... Jag IRS I suppose at back as it's less visible? Those units aren't that cheap anymore are they?!

Model A would be nice too - love this one: http://www.americandreamcars.com/1929fordpkupsr102810.jpg

The Wisbech Model A chassis seems a lot cheaper than the 32 - because no curved rails perhaps?
Chassis_Sections

I was thinking of one of the Hardy County body (http://www.hardycountyhotrods.com/) as they're reasonably priced. They reckon the 32 pickup body would fit the Model A chassis if you trim the pickup bed slightly...

what chassis is your Model A based on?

cheers

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,345 Posts
There is now a commercila BIVA test as well ,that N1 and has some laxer rules on some stuff still.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-vehicle-category-n1

B on B rails with beam front and solid rear axle will be more expensive to build than an A on A rails.

Are you planning on fully fendered and what sort of budget / timescale?

Does it hav eto be 100% trad or are you looking for something that looks more trad than billet ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mmm - interesting. Presumably ok if the pickup bed is usable for commercial activities.

prob thinking more towards rat rod look - so cycle fenders I reckon... Budget is limited I suppose but timescale isn't! It's the building I enjoy really. I've done a couple of classic restorations but tired of poking holes in rusty bodywork hence the attraction of new chassis and GRP body!

just hoping for a more trad look - I realise a 100% trad build would be £££... and I'm planning on sticking my old Mopar in it so it's not authentic Ford anyway. I reckon the Model A chassis might be the way to go although the beam front end is very attractive. What are the options though? are there any UK fabricators or am I looking at old stuff or DIY only?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I reckon the Model A chassis might be the way to go although the beam front end is very attractive. What are the options though? are there any UK fabricators or am I looking at old stuff or DIY only?
Are you aware that Model A Chassis would be as just as suited to beam front as the 32 chassis would? (depending on it having suitable front cross member etc).

If your leaning towards traditional look then beam front end would be more in keeping (especially on a car with cycle fenders). Plenty of places to buy an A chassis or have one made. Or you could save money by building your own chassis and then putting more cash towards beam axle.
(this what I did) Based my chassis on model A dimensions.

Gav.

·
Grown up? Never!
2,171 Posts
Link to manual below

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-vehicle-category-m1

Ever growing number of vehicles being put through. It DOESN'T have to look like a kit car if you take you time in choosing components. I have variety of pictures here of different vehicles which have been through the test though no 32s so far I have pics of 34s and 30's A, which all present the same sort of issues . ease of passing is also based on style of build / components used.

Taxation class is based on proven date of engine manufacture but apre '74 engine WON'T make it 'free' tax though it will put it in the basic tax bracket of £230pa ( or whatever it is currently). As a prove pre 73, it will be visiual smoke only both for teh BIVA test and for all future MOTs.
Hi Kev,
If you were to use the engine from let's say a 1000cc VW polo blue motion would you only pay the £35 you do on the VW?
Just thinking aloud.
Sorry

Chaley.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,345 Posts
That's a very good question Chaley :) As far as I'm aware you ARE correct . However, in my mind ,that emission based tax figure is the whole package of the blue motion ie aerodynamics as well etc. I'm pretty sure VOSA and DVLA have probably missed that fact.

·
Grown up? Never!
2,171 Posts
That's a very good question Chaley :) As far as I'm aware you ARE correct . However, in my mind ,that emission based tax figure is the whole package of the blue motion ie aerodynamics as well etc. I'm pretty sure VOSA and DVLA have probably missed that fact.
Gawd you are good Kev, you even got why I asked.

Chaley

·
Registered
600 Posts
mmm - interesting. Presumably ok if the pickup bed is usable for commercial activities.

prob thinking more towards rat rod look - so cycle fenders I reckon... Budget is limited I suppose but timescale isn't! It's the building I enjoy really. I've done a couple of classic restorations but tired of poking holes in rusty bodywork hence the attraction of new chassis and GRP body!

just hoping for a more trad look - I realise a 100% trad build would be £££... and I'm planning on sticking my old Mopar in it so it's not authentic Ford anyway. I reckon the Model A chassis might be the way to go although the beam front end is very attractive. What are the options though? are there any UK fabricators or am I looking at old stuff or DIY only?
Have you tried Adrian at Buckland? fantastic quality

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,345 Posts
Gawd you are good Kev, you even got why I asked.

Chaley
You wouldn't believe how in depth we have to go with some of the regs , even a comma can change the entire meaning of a reg wording . Hence trying to factor in what is often left unsaid as 'we' believe it goes without saying :lol:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,345 Posts
Have you tried Adrian at Buckland? fantastic quality
Having professional help can change eligibility for using Amateur build . That's not to say that they can't build you something to a certain level but there are procedures involved to make sure you can still use the scheme. If anyone wants to put a vehicle through using professional help I can help clarify.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.