Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
how about a modern ish jag as a donor, the 2.0 diesels basically a ford underneath right? might be abit pricey for the engine though

·
Registered
394 Posts
how about a modern ish jag as a donor, the 2.0 diesels basically a ford underneath right? might be abit pricey for the engine though
It is - the 2.0 and 2.2 are PSA/Ford - so could also be had from a Mondeo, but all are FWD (only petrol X-types got 4wd). The RWD Jag diesel in the S-Type, XF, and X350 XJ (2.7 V6) is good for 200 BHP and 40+ MPG - but it's probably a bit high tech for what you need - came with a six speed manual box in the S-Type though. Basically the same engine but with single instead of twin turbo is in the Landy Disco 3, and Peugeot 407 and citroen c6. All probably a bit recent for a reasonable price donor car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
true, coded pumps are a right pain in the arse! however, if its blue oval power he's after, maybe i can help....
im doing a td conversion on my own van over the next few weeks (collecting donor engine tomorrow!) not posted any progress on here, i feel its the wrong place for it.
anyway, ive recently found out how to overcome the immobilizer system on the older ford 89ps 1.8td intercooler engines and with abit of tuning and fettling can see 120bhp+ and over 200nm torque and not so expensive engines either.
problem is turning it round to work rwd. The bellhousing pattern is the same as any other 4 pot ford so your not stuck for gearbox choices, personally id go for a sierra td gearbox, slightly higher ratio's inside to its petrol counterpart and should give it a comfy and economical cruising speed

·
Rod'a'holic
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Thanks for all your input guys, I have bitten the bullet and am picking up a 146K mile 525 with service history tomorrow it is the early one pre coded pump.

Just in time for the start of the Chevy build

Rich

·
Rod'a'holic
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Picked it up and drive it on a private test track. I have only driven the 1.9 disel turbo van I borrowed to tow it back and I was impressed with that.

The BMW pulls really well I parked it up with the biggest grin knowing I had made the right choice.

Follow the build up here

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/garage/41-chevy-coupe-45265

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Hey, there seems to be a shortage of 325 or 525 BM's for sale so do you guys think a 330 or 530 would do the job OK or is there a reason that loads of you say get the 2.5 litres?

·
American Truck importer
11,742 Posts
Hey, there seems to be a shortage of 325 or 525 BM's for sale so do you guys think a 330 or 530 would do the job OK or is there a reason that loads of you say get the 2.5 litres?
Ady, I could have sold you my 325tds complete car along with the van, but delivery would maybe have made it too dear anyways. I'm thinking of putting the 325tds and manual gearbox into a '55 or '56 second series panel van to use as a 'shop truck. Too busy restoring that '57 Chevy truck to get near it just now though.

·
starting to crawl back up
3,029 Posts
Hi,
Saw this in Spain last month at High Rockabilly, bloody great truck diesel engine in this sedan, looked completely mad and sounded great !

Ignore the date on the photo, I took it with an i phone app and it put the wrong date on the photo.

that looks very much like a cummins 6bta ,,,

41 - 49 of 49 Posts