Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Deviant
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been thinking about making one of these for a while Im making it in my spare time using reclaimed wood windows ally and chassis from scrap caravans so in theory it wont owe me anything and I wont feel the need to sell it also it wont take up much room in the workshop

Its going to be pretty basic and its giong to be ready for billing

This is where its at

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
i hoping to turn my old trailer tent trailer into one soon do you have old windows and a door and roof vent spare bri going cheap i would be interested if you have cheers rick

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good luck with the build . The teardrops are good fun and easy to keep around with the size of them . Me and my mate have done a few over the years , sharing ideas and helping each other with the bigger jobs . Heres my first attempt

Heres my second go.

I,ll be watching yours progress :tup:

·
Deviant
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck with the build . The teardrops are good fun and easy to keep around with the size of them . Me and my mate have done a few over the years , sharing ideas and helping each other with the bigger jobs . Heres my first attempt

Heres my second go.

I,ll be watching yours progress :tup:
Cheers Mark they look great :tup: What did you use for axles?

·
Deviant
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we sell the steel AL-KO chassis whole so Ive been waiting for an axle from an aluminium AL-KO chassis they are always always snapped and nobody wants them we normally have a few axles lying about and they get weighed in but ive been waiting a month for one to turn up

This morning there was a swift corniche sat on this its a bit rusty its kinda overkill its plated at 1200kg and braked im thinking the tear-drop is going to be about 200kg when finished

so I gave it a going over with the wire brush wheel to get it free from rust n crud

And Painted

·
Deviant
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Made the frame tonight I bought the angle iron couldn't be bothered climbing the scrap pile in the scrap yard cleaning it all up to save £20 the box section draw bar was robbed off an old static and the brand new tow hitch was found in a scrap caravan I think I will put a hand brake on it and some stabilizer legs

The body will sit 100mm lower than this and I may add some4 side skirts yet

·
Deviant
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bolted and welded the axle on then painted the chassis red is just what I had it will never be seen its just to stop it rusting

Then bolted the ring beam on the floor will be attached to this then the walls screw in to it

Then a plastic sheet is stapled on

Then the insulation goes on the plastic is to hold this in place and to stop the floor getting wet

Then the ply

·
Deviant
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't use it but you could try oleay motorhome magnum motorhomes woolies trim metals for you your local metal stock holders there are lots of trim places online who do mail order or just caravan parts suppliers

Ive not decided weather or not to skin it in ally or wood but if it is ally I will lay the ally on the sides cut to fit then lay the roof pannel about 10mm hanging over the side put non drying bedding sealant round the tops of the walls and beat the roof overlap over the wall sanwiching the sealant in the join then bend this Woolies Trim - Half Round to shape over the join put screws every 6 inches or so it will give a much better seal than angle section

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Looking forward to seeing how you bend the half round strip. I've been toying with the idea of building a full size teardrop that you can stand up in. Would need a suitable donor caravan with lightwieght chassis and try to get the whole thing built under 600kg

·
Deviant
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Looking forward to seeing how you bend the half round strip. I've been toying with the idea of building a full size teardrop that you can stand up in. Would need a suitable donor caravan with lightwieght chassis and try to get the whole thing built under 600kg
Heres some bending ive done before I did this with a blow torch but would be quicker with oxy acetalene

Clamp it to a flat metal surface to keep it flat obviously then pull it round gently not focusing the heat in one place keeps the bend smooth

:tup:

·
Deviant
3,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not really done a lot due to being lazy but got the tow hitch / jockey wheel bolted on and started framing the roof

If I were to clad it in wood I would buld up / laminat the edge of the roof to about 50/70mm using strips of thin ply then put a radius on to that so the eges are not boxy looking maybe next time eh this one is going to get clad in ally i think

·
Registered
523 Posts
thought about doing this before i found my Portafold,

1 - 20 of 85 Posts