Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, got a little problem with my truck with regards to our ridiculous dvla points system.
my truck is a 1989 ford bronco that has had the engine and box fitted from a daf 45 lorry tuned up to the bollocks and i have re-modelled the front grill/bumper lights to uk parts,.. (transit, etc).. now i have to get rid of my front 4x4 axle due to it being redundant, heavy, and crap in general,.. want to go for either a solid beam axle from a van or some kind of ifs system from a uk type van (better parts availability),... now i'm pretty sure the dvla will q plate it as this mod would tip it over the points system,... the body and chassis are pretty much un molested otherwise,... am i right in my fears, or can i change just one axle and suspension and keep my reg,... rears staying as its a good tough ford 8.8

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would say heading for a biva test.
even though its main identity is pretty much still there?,.. bugger,..i hate this country sometimes,... there was a fabled 2wd bronco developed but hens teeth and rocking horse sh*t spring to mind lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
.. want to go for either a solid beam axle from a van or some kind of ifs system from a uk type van (better parts availability),... now i'm pretty sure the dvla will q plate it as this mod would tip it over the points system,... the body and chassis are pretty much un molested otherwise,... am i right in my fears, or can i change just one axle and suspension and keep my reg,... rears staying as its a good tough ford 8.8
I can't claim to be an authority but been doing quite a bit of research on my own rebuilds and DVLA website notes 2 points for axles can only be counted if both are original / like-for-like new.

However, not quite sure if you've already informed DVLA of the engine & 'box change?

If you have, there are examples of DVLA not being interested in subsequent 'minor' changes (NOT chassis or engine numbers). They have even issued 'clarification' to a magazine / club (can't remember which at the mo') to that effect; which is unusual because I couldn't get a commitment to anything when I visited my local office to ask specific questions on a project of mine!

But are you actually 'in danger'?

5 points (Chassis; providing not changed, you only mention bodywork which wouldn't matter on Bronco) + 2 points (suspension) + 2 points (steering assembly - keep this the same when changing front end, just mod axle to suit)

= 9 points therefore NOT radically altered

·
Registered
38 Posts
Its not the Q plate you want to worry about, its the BIVA!
Does the Bronco not share its chassis with other Ford trucks? Might well find you can swap 2WD front end parts straight over.
But why is BIVA a prospect? While DVLA can insist on testing if they doubt it's identity, that's the point of the 'points system'. If you can claim the required minimum 8, then the identity is not in question & remains that of the original vehicle. That being the case, there is no need for a test as far as I can tell?

While fitting an axle from a compatible truck would make things easier (if such a thing exists) it wouldn't help in staying clear of Q plate as it isn't original to the Bronco. In theory, even a 2WD Bronco front wouldn't count if the recipiant was originally 4WD (though you might 'get away with it').

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not an authority but been doing quite a bit of research on my own rebuilds and DVLA website notes 2 points for axles can only be counted if both are original / like-for-like new.

However, not quite sure if you've already informed DVLA of the engine & 'box change?

If you have, there are examples of DVLA not being interested in subsequent 'minor' changes (NOT chassis or engine numbers). They have even issued 'clarification' to a magazine / club (can't remember which at the mo') to that effect; which is unusual because I couldn't get a commitment to anything when I visited my local office to ask specific questions on a project of mine!

But are you actually 'in danger'?

5 points (Chassis; providing not changed, you only mention bodywork which wouldn't matter on Bronco) + 2 points (suspension) + 2 points (steering assembly - keep this the same when changing front end, just mod axle to suit)

= 9 points therefore NOT radically altered
mods i done so far is engine and box which they know about,.. they asked for my mot man to verify the change, nothing major done to chassis other than two strengthener xmembers fitted to the front,.. one cylindrical that i was going to use as an engine mount point but later did'nt use still welded in there,.. and one bolt in section right at the very front to carry the new transit front end plus act as a small nudge bar (behind the plastics of course front coils have helper airbags in as they need to hold a half ton lump ,.. no steering mods as such,.. other than a safetey valve to regulate the pressure to the steering box,.. re-geared the rear diff for economy,.. lower numbers,.. and a bit better top end,... thats really it i guess,... still under you think? would be a relief if it is cos ireally want rid of that crappy dana44 lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its not the Q plate you want to worry about, its the BIVA!
Does the Bronco not share its chassis with other Ford trucks? Might well find you can swap 2WD front end parts straight over.
as far as i know some f150 models had a 2wd axle on leafs,.. but again,.. finding one is a ballache ,.. theres nearly none around to break it seems :(

·
Got salt
1,305 Posts
Well very probably BIVA isn't a worry here, I was just observing the way lots of people are still worried about having a Q plate, when its the least of their worries if you are bounced by the points system.

If its all factory parts, who's ever going to know its been altered? A non-original type front axle might well attract attention whereas stock Ford parts probably wouldn't. Thats if the feared prospect of a 'does the vehicle appear altered?' aspect being added to the MOT ever comes to pass....

·
Banned
4,329 Posts
I know of a moggy van with a rover 3.5 v8,home made chassis etc etc,he runs it on the normal v5 with 1098 engine and has done for six years!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'm lucky in the sense my mot guy is quite sorted,.. his mantra being if it starts , stops, steers, and don't pee fluids or have stuff hanging off,.. he's happy.... that said he hates yanks too so he would'nt know what would be non stock or not i guess

·
Registered
38 Posts
mods i done so far is engine and box which they know about,.. they asked for my mot man to verify the change

nothing major done to chassis other than two strengthener xmembers fitted to the front,.. one cylindrical that i was going to use as an engine mount point but later did'nt use still welded in there,.. and one bolt in section right at the very front to carry the new transit front end plus act as a small nudge bar (behind the plastics of course
Think you're in a pretty good position there as they haven't come back to you about BIVA / Q plate. Although you've made changes, some 'clarification' by VOSA backs up that you are 'in the clear'. Section of Q and A between VOSA and the Association of Car Enthusiasts:

Q) As chassis strengthening is allowed, are we correct in assuming that additional crossmembers would also be allowed?

A) It is important that the original chassis structure is retained unmodified, and while it is acceptable to strengthen areas and include additional brackets or crossmembers, It would be limited to additions within the existing chassis frame structure. Additional chassis structures, i.e. extending the outward parameters of the original chassis structure would be considered a modification.

Source: Chassis and Monocoque Modification - Association of Car Enthusiasts (ACE)

front coils have helper airbags in as they need to hold a half ton lump ,.. no steering mods as such,.. other than a safetey valve to regulate the pressure to the steering box,.. re-geared the rear diff for economy,.. lower numbers,.. and a bit better top end,... thats really it i guess
Seems like those could all be seen as unmodified - think diff is considered part of transmission which you've already discounted with 'box change.

... still under you think? would be a relief if it is cos ireally want rid of that crappy dana44 lol
Only way to be sure is to go to DVLA I'm afraid, but Yes I would say 9 points total so no need for BIVA or Q plate. Suggestion of just removing Dana 44's internals might be worth considering to start with but if you really think it's not up to the job, swap to something Ford as a preference!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well very probably BIVA isn't a worry here, I was just observing the way lots of people are still worried about having a Q plate, when its the least of their worries if you are bounced by the points system.

If its all factory parts, who's ever going to know its been altered? A non-original type front axle might well attract attention whereas stock Ford parts probably wouldn't. Thats if the feared prospect of a 'does the vehicle appear altered?' aspect being added to the MOT ever comes to pass....
my thinking being a mk2 tranny front beam axle with discs would be ideal

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
i'm lucky in the sense my mot guy is quite sorted,.. his mantra being if it starts , stops, steers, and don't pee fluids or have stuff hanging off,.. he's happy.... that said he hates yanks too so he would'nt know what would be non stock or not i guess
youre mot guy isnt there to tell anyone its modified.
he,s their to test the car presented to him,modified or not

·
Premium Member
7,534 Posts
I know of a moggy van with a rover 3.5 v8,home made chassis etc etc,he runs it on the normal v5 with 1098 engine and has done for six years!
why would he do that.
does he not insure it as a v8 moggy.it costs nothing and no inspection for an engine change on the v5

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Think you're in a pretty good position there as they haven't come back to you. Although you've made changes, some 'clarification' by VOSA backs up that you are 'in the clear'. Section of Q and A between VOSA and the Association of Car Enthusiasts:

Q) As chassis strengthening is allowed, are we correct in assuming that additional crossmembers would also be allowed?

A) It is important that the original chassis structure is retained unmodified, and while it is acceptable to strengthen areas and include additional brackets or crossmembers, It would be limited to additions within the existing chassis frame structure. Additional chassis structures, i.e. extending the outward parameters of the original chassis structure would be considered a modification.

Source: Chassis and Monocoque Modification - Association of Car Enthusiasts (ACE)

Seems like those could all be seen as unmodified - think diff is considered part of transmission which you've already discounted with 'box change.

Only way to be sure is to go to DVLA I'm afraid, but Yes I would say 9 points total so no need for BIVA or Q plate. Suggestion of just removing Dana 44's internals might be worth considering to start with but if you really think it's not up to the job, swap to something Ford as a preference!
aye could look into gutting the dana as a last resort maybe if it can be gutted without the wheels dropping off lol

1 - 20 of 41 Posts