Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never really had to do this before but just stuck an amp in my car with different speakers and test wired it. I only had output on one channel so changed the speaker over to see if speaker faulty or amp faulty . Now have no output from either speaker wired any way :( Have continuity at speaker terminals and correct resistance . What do I use to check the amp speaker output clamps ?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No shorts to ground unless internal on amp :) Resistance tested across the speaker terminal with no other wiring attached. Normally I'd simply pull a speaker from my spares pile and try that but none to be found. That's what you get for clearing up :(

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are two methods.
The first involves the use of a big resistor to act as a load, and a calibrated oscilloscope to measure the voltage across that resistor, having first shoved a sinusoidal waveform up its' input.
The second method is slightly less technical. You stick the amp in a car, drive to an electronics engineers place and get them to do it for you.
Not really feasible to test at home.
Not a hope on either really, test cost would be more than amp cost new ! I'll see if anyone has a speaker hanging around I think

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sorry not with you ? Speakers are 2 in a self contained box with just 2 external contacts marked + and - . Tested continuity and resistance across these 2 and had continuity and , as stated on speakers, 4 ohm resistance.

Both pods test the same , the one that did work from the amp and the one that didn't.

Amp is showing leds responding to mp3 input , pull that pin out ,or switch off mp3 and leds cease to respond.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers John, I'll sort out getting over to you at some stage . Got to pick up a NEW fuel tank tomorrow so may do it then so you can have a look at it ?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well after borrowing bits from John found some time to check the amp ,wiring ,and speakers. Speakers wire is faulty internally :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.