Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

So i have an 81' vette with a 383 stroker ready to go in.

I went to town on this engine the only thing original is the block.

I want to upgrade the TH350 i now have (not TH350C i got rid of that S**t) to hold up to the 400+bhp & 400+ft/p torque i will be producing.

I know first i need to change the intermidiate sprag on the trans as that is a common weak point.

I want you opinions on what other upgrades i could do to improve the ride.

First lets clarify that i do not want a TH400, a 700R4 or the much loved 200R4. the car is designed for a TH350 its a bullet proof trans and i will not change it.

Cheers all,

Scott

P.S - ill post pics along the way.

·
drag race addict
1,392 Posts
Hi All,

So i have an 81' vette with a 383 stroker ready to go in.

I went to town on this engine the only thing original is the block.

I want to upgrade the TH350 i now have (not TH350C i got rid of that S**t) to hold up to the 400+bhp & 400+ft/p torque i will be producing.

I know first i need to change the intermidiate sprag on the trans as that is a common weak point.

I want you opinions on what other upgrades i could do to improve the ride.

First lets clarify that i do not want a TH400, a 700R4 or the much loved 200R4. the car is designed for a TH350 its a bullet proof trans and i will not change it.

Cheers all,

Scott

P.S - ill post pics along the way.
Your quote in bold isn't true. If it was GM would have put it behind everything.
Just clarifying that for ya.. ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Some TH350 have less clutch frictions, this can be corrected by machining pistons to the correct size, different thickness steels and retainers can be used to correct sloppy clutches, a hardened spragg, extra bush on the sun gear, higher stall converter and a governer calibration kit will move WOT shift points. As Redvictor pointed out broken transmissions keep him in business

·
drag race addict
1,392 Posts
Redvictor - what kind of cost am i looking at to get you to upgrade my trans to cope it a more powerful small block?

What info would you require?

Thanks

Scott
A HD rebuild without a converter overhaul, with my shift mods is around £700 + vat inc labour/parts etc. Add a 36 element drum and outer race and that would be £350 + vat extra from the last time i bought one. That is if everything is in good shape hard parts wise in the trans. If not i have some good core parts available at reasonable prices.
Stripping it to let you know the exact price is a better way...

·
Registered
681 Posts
agreed The question is well built, which can cost potentially more money than a stock built th400, yes they use slightly more power . the same can be said about 9 inch axles. Most people want the strongest but do not have the engine to make use of it.
I have a th350 behind a 383 truck motor 4 wheel drive , and that has been extensively modified, if a th400 would have bolted up i would have used one.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
if you install a 700/200 you really should install a lock up kit, this is a wiring kit that uses a vac signal from the engine to get the converter to lock and unlock as it would have done in its original vehicle.

Just a bit of wring, no biggy.

The 200 is a good swap in the vette as it's a smaller box than the 700 and doesn't require the prop to be shortened unlike the 700.
..but they were never a hi-po box so they do need to be built, the Buick GN boxes were stronger apparently.
I appreciate you want to stick with the 350 though.

P.s I've got a '71 vette with a Tremec TKO 600RR 5-speed so i'm familiar with them.

Here's some 700/200/350 pics -

http://s877.photobucket.com/user/aaroncorvette/library/Stude engine rebuild?sort=3&page=1

·
Registered
336 Posts
I use a stock TH350 on my MGB. Its been dragged since 2006 and is still working ok. It was brand new in 2006. I do have a spare to drop in with trans-brake fitted so I can send the stock box to Andy for a refurb at the end of this season. I guess a lot depends on the weight of the vehicle as well. The MGB is only about 2600lbs. On Nitrous only it made 400hp with 600ft/lbs. Now with the blower and less nitrous it makes just under 600hp and 545ft/lbs on a safe tune. I run slicks and only race the car on the Drag strip. Actually!!! Make that 2800lbs with me in the car :)

When I roll the MGB out in a few weeks I'll be hitting it harder with a better tune in the engine to see how it does. I think I will need to look at the converter next as well. I think it may not be up to the job for the next phase of the cars tuning. I'll have to talk to Frosty about the converter soon i think.

Perry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.