Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just returned from the MOT with a 57 Ford that passed. BUT the tester who has been testing it for 15 years now says I need amber indicators. Mine are red but seperate to the main/brake light. He also says I need red reflectors but my back lights have reflectors round the outside rim(round) but he says they light up with the lights. Of course they do as the light bleeds trhrough the plastic but reflectors are there for whenthe light is off isn' it? I know this has been answered many times before on many forums but could someone(kapri maybe) point me in the right direction to print something off so I can get him to see the light:oops::shake: I can only think he has had his collar felt by the MOT.
Thanks in advance:tup:

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the reply Kev. He did not say the reflector had to be lit he was saying that when the light was on it illuminated the reflector, but as they are made in one piece the light is going to have the effect of illuminating the reflector. I always thought the reflectors were in case of bulb failure or so that nobody ran up the arse of parked cars hence the police sometimes enforcing the law as to which way round you should park you car at night. The first link you posted couldn't be any clearer so many thanks for that I will let him see it.:tup::tup::tup:
P.S. He passed it this time but said I would have to change it next year

·
www.53catalina.co.uk
2,454 Posts
P.S. He passed it this time but said I would have to change it next year
I think it would be easier to find a new MoT station.
His loss etc etc.....
There must be another station who would welcome your car, after all there is less to test than on a modern car, and he still gets paid the same. Most garagres prefer 'our' types of car because they get bored with the new ones.

just my opinion.

Dan

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to bother you again Kev but am I right to assume the 1989 regs etc are the most current legislation and used in the SVA etc. Just getting my facts right before I see the mechanic tomorrow. It would be a shame to change garages as I have been using him since about 1985.
Tim:)

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,056 Posts
Yup, 1989 was the last statute update . He'll probably get the hump anyway, many MOT testers believe God looks up to them ;) . I use a rod /custom friendly garage run by an ex rodder, no leniency ( I don't want it, I want another pair of eyes checking over my maintenance 'just in case ' ) but who knows the regs and what the deal is with old cars.

I can also link to the Special Notices ,from VOSA ,that give updates to MOT procedure , I check them regularly :)

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This guy has always been okay in the past that's why I think he may of had a scare. He has a bloke that does some of his tests as he has had bad health with his heart over the last 5 years but he seems to know the score with old cars. I could go to a garage that will pass anything but like yourself I want them to tell me if my brakes are no good or the steering is flapping:)

·
Registered
437 Posts
hey im a tester

it has to have reflectors , full stop. makes no diff if the light bleeds over it got nothing to do with it
it has to have side lights , full stop .
like de man say aug 65 for amber indicators
what passes an mot may/will not pass sva . we do not have to check markings on lamps or owt like that (a few we do but only for newer cars , gets a bit tecky but only for wrap around lamps and stuff)
did he issue a v32 form ???? or was it just a comment ?

you can complain about a test even if it passes

rob

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes it does have reflectors around the outside of the rocket thruster style lights found on most 50's yanks. In the past he got me to make the indicators seperate to the main red/ brake light(I used the reverse light facility inthe centre of the lights) but looking at the link to the testers info this was wrong. He passed it this time as if it was a favour but said to get some self adhesive reflectors and change the indicators to amber for next year(also wrong)

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,056 Posts
The only lights at BIVA that need E marks are the foglight and gas discharge headlamps , the Statutory Lighting regs are used for position etc.
Like I said not ALL MOT testers are are pain but many like to be , shall we say, 'authorative'...it what happens when you give a guy a peaked hat :incheek:.

·
Registered
437 Posts
hey its a bit of a ride but bring it to wolves . we sell nice big shinny 40 foot yank campers all v8 or v10 hhmmmmmmmmmmm . i test by the book but by the sounds of things you would have been better off (not my garage mods and i get wages only . no bonus and no plug intended)

rob

·
Burn out champ 2010
1,698 Posts
You could use Complete Autocare in Wellingborough. Roy is a rodder and Pro Et racer.

He MOTs and services all of our cars..my rod and mine, my wife's and our two daughter's dailies.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts