Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as we don't have a "special needs" build section for idiots like myself, I'll just pop this in here seeing as this is now more truck than anything else :shake: ruining a hotrod forum here int I :D

So as a few of you may have noticed theres been talk of IVA as well as a few pictures of oversized axles and military 44's.......the series chassis up for sale etc etc

Well basically what I've done is to keep the 454 engine, axles and bulkhead.

The bulkhead is being chopped in half and widened by a foot and then dropped onto a new custom chassis based on a 6x6 truck.

I've acquired a third axle for free so that sorts out the missing one and all are a matching 5.13 ratio. The second axle shall drive the third axle meaning it will either be a 4x6 or a 6x6 depending on how I have the transfer box.

The body will for the most part be welded onto the chassis along with the roll cage leaving just the bulkhead, wings and doors as bolt on pieces as I'm having the entire thing galvanised so it wont rust out.

The 6x6 suspension set up is copied from here 6x6 M715 where dana 70's and a 4 link system have been used on the axle set up. I will use the 4 link set up with pivoting common leaf but will also be using shocks unlike him and I will also be running the third axle off the second axle using a bolt on transfer box which goes onto the pinion set up on the front of the second axle.

In hindsight I should never have bought a Landrover......its been a waste of time and money but had I not I doubt I would have ever reached this point so silver lining and all that bullshit.
Anyway the chassis is partially blue printed at the minute with dimensions and I'll be picking up the steel for it at the end of the month. It will feature a built in rear fuel tank, bolt in engine mount crossmember (theres a reason for this being bolt in and its name is 8v92t) and be made of 6mm box section in 80x140, this shall then have additional bracing and a beefy crossmember on the rear for my large recovery points to go on.

I have no intention of using this as a greenlaning vehicle given that it'll have a rear track width of 78" which is rather silly.
I've downloaded the IVA checklist and been through it now as well as asking the ever so helpful Kapri on here :tup: to make sure everything is going to be built to the correct standard (luckily I don't need airbags for this or anything safer than a seatbelt and two stage door locks)

Anyway, Thursday I'm off down to collect my Dana 70 axle and the other Dana 80, I will be sourcing some springs from the scrappy as theres a big truck being broken there and as to the central spring pivot that will be hand turned on the lathe and then I'll use some truck or landrover bushes so they're easy to source when they wear out.

Bushes for the 4 link will again be LR so I can get them easily and I shall be fitting the hydrosteer system from a truck to assist with the extra weight up front.

This engine that is going in now (the 454) will be a baby step engine before next year when I go back to derv so it'll at least sound kinda landrover like again.

My friend has also given me the Cadillac Coupe Deville bonnet from his scrapped 64 so I may well fit that as it could be made to look quite cool :D

Anyway I'll update this thread with pics of the axles and other bits as and when they arrive

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am looking forward to this.
I am too :D been wanting to do a proper scratch build for a while and this has pushed me to it so it should be interesting!

Me too, subscribed so I don't miss anything :tup:
Thanks fellas :) well the best I can do at the minute is give you a sit rep on the engine as well as a to scale rear end cad sketch I did, need to dimension it and re draw in 3D but the dimensions are as such

7ft 11" on the rear axle, wheels are 20" 10 stud duals on the rear and the rubbers are 44" tall 12x20 military tyres, will probably get myself some Michelin XZ's for them

Axle isn't to scale on the diff housing as I didn't have the inclination to remove it from the crate just to measure up the housing so but its centred and the tubes are the right length as is the axle (just over 76" to the drive flanges)

Body is to be made of a galvanised steel frame with ally panels riveted on which means, luckily I'm friendly with the local metalworks so they'll send it off to the galvers for me and hopefully get a decent rate on it :) lights are set out as standard 2.5" diameter dome shaped ones, fog and reverse which are the ones on the drivers side are 5x2.5" so the same size as a couple of the Hella units and the large lump under the crossmember will be the fuel tank with the filler in the tank bed under a flap like some older military trucks or possibly above the fog light, not decided on that yet.

My mate has just acquired a laser cutter at work so I'll be round his at some point to borrow it :D means I can make up the 4 link pieces easily and to a perfect fit if I draw them out on Alpha Cam or Solid works

Thats about it really :D just been out to rewire my disco's trailer lights so they actually work instead of flashing the brake lights when I put the indicators on :wanker:

Looking forward to getting on with the welding at any rate, if its under 3mm my old stick welder just pisses through it so it'll be right at home burning some 1/8th rods on 1/4" wall box section :D

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,125 Posts
Alpha cam ? Solid works ? Sounds more far complicated than a tape measure and steel square ? LOL :tup:

·
Registered
919 Posts
All sounds high tech to me ? I'm sure I just make it up as I go along,and still have lots of tea breaks ?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got bored, looked on ebay USA after a good look on youtube, for $2-5000 you can get a rebuilt or low mileage 8v92t and then another $1000 maybe for a good recon 7 speed box or I could buy a Scania box here and make up a bellhousing adaptor then get the flywheel drilled for the correct clutch for a lot less as the local breaker likes me, call shipping/imports $1000

These things sound awesome, have crazy torque figures and if they give 13mpg in a Kenworth truck then in something half the weight it should hopefully give me 20 or thats the theory here :D

I've always liked diesel engines, they may not sound as nice as a petrol V8 but they are more fun and a lot noisier plus they go on forever and can be run on veg oil which is very good for annoying your neighbour as every time you fire up it releases a great cloud of chip smelling smoke :D

Yes this engine may weigh in at just over a tonne but I'm building a chassis out of 6mm which is the same as a Peterbilt or Kenworth is but they're c section instead of box ;) and you cant argue with the figures its offering!

1,250 lb·ft (1,690 N·m) @ 1300 rpm; 392-550 horsepower governed at 1800-2100 rpm although I think the redline is 3000

·
Lurking Loon
96 Posts
I dunno about not sounding as nice, but I'm just weird like that. I love the sound of the 2-stroke Detroits (...and the 2-stroke EMDs, a nice TS3, etc. Basically, 2 stroke diesel for the howling win.) :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well after a major gridlock this morning what fooking twat crashes a corsa on a three lane motorway, single car crash btw

After this I went and collected me axles and had a nice chat with the guy who sold them to me, fecking beastly things! Ignore the tratter tyre :D they're 5.13 ratio like the other one I have and the front has Warn free wheeling hubs for "helping economy" :wanker:

Will get some more pics of them tomorrow anyway but they're big, dirty, in need of a clean and rather lonely looking without a chassis :(

Anyway after arriving back home I found a parcel had arrived for me :D Nice bit of engine bling!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chassis is now fully dimensioned for rails, cross bracing and outriggers.

Based to an extent on the Russian platform but the outriggers have had to be moved in order to accommodate my bodywork, the bodywork has grown a bit too on the front end and central just so it can be a 4 seater

Odds are due to the thickness of the steel I'm using this will come in seriously close to my weight limit but I have other vehicles I can tow trailers with :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this progress Dr Evil. I'm guessing the axles are off a 'Tavern' like mine? I thought about doing something similar when I first bought my chassis, but with a Discovery body and keeping the 6.5 diesel. Kinda like a Discovery/Hummer cross breed!

I'm guessing too if you're using AutoCAD then the body proportions are correct? If so, it's going to be a crazy looking beast!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looking forward to seeing this progress Dr Evil. I'm guessing the axles are off a 'Tavern' like mine? I thought about doing something similar when I first bought my chassis, but with a Discovery body and keeping the 6.5 diesel. Kinda like a Discovery/Hummer cross breed!

I'm guessing too if you're using AutoCAD then the body proportions are correct? If so, it's going to be a crazy looking beast!
Yes they're all off a tavern, one is brand new and two are used but in decent nick

Not a fan of the 6.5TDI engine in the hummers, very prone to cracking! But they do work nicely up until then ;)

Yes it is indeed proportional, I just need to decide if I want to drop the centre of the chassis in order to increase head height a bit in the cab :)

If you wanted to keep it "Land Rover"-ish you could always turn it into a Llama.....
Nah, scrapped the idea of keeping it LR ish

CBA, the only part still landrover ish will be the split screen and the bulkhead but they will both be widened

·
Heavy Oiler
2,504 Posts
Reminds me of these

Have you ever worked on a 2 stroke Detroit? They have about 3 times the moving parts of a 4 stroke, and are expensive on parts (do sound good though)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reminds me of these

Have you ever worked on a 2 stroke Detroit? They have about 3 times the moving parts of a 4 stroke, and are expensive on parts (do sound good though)
Never worked on one but the idea would be to get a military rebuild one, I like messing with engines anyway so could be fun :D

As to the final drive, no idea but 5.13 diffs and a .73 overdrive should be ok for 55 ish at a decent rpm I'd think

·
Lurking Loon
96 Posts
They have about 3 times the moving parts of a 4 stroke
Eh? How's that? I can only think of an extra piston-ring per piston, and the blower, extra over the equivalent 4-stroke.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts