Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Administrator
9,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all like to rant about losing our pride & joy and how the govt is dumb with electric cars.
We also like to say 'green' cars are not green at all and our old cars are the greenest.

Well, spend 30 mins of your time watching this video (and another 30 with the link in the video to the European rules on ICE powered cars) and be educated.

Very interesting and unbiased reporting with some very relevant facts. Our cars are not as doomed as it would appear.
The only slight worry is the '1000 miles per year' figure uoted for classic car mileage.

Watch & discuss.

·
Registered
919 Posts
We all like to rant about losing our pride & joy and how the govt is dumb with electric cars.
We also like to say 'green' cars are not green at all and our old cars are the greenest.

Well, spend 30 mins of your time watching this video (and another 30 with the link in the video to the European rules on ICE powered cars) and be educated.

Very interesting and unbiased reporting with some very relevant facts. Our cars are not as doomed as it would appear.
The only slight worry is the '1000 miles per year' figure uoted for classic car mileage.

Watch & discuss.
Thank you for posting this! Well worth watching and some really good nuggets to quote in the pub (if only virtually!). I came away with quite a positive take. My thinking on the 1000 miles is that's the average quoted by the FBHVC. If we continue to spend £7.2bn and employ 34,000 people then we are a significant contributor to the British economy. My main miles, which are relatively few these days, are in 'historic' vehicles. I rarely see any other old vehicles on the road. In other words, we're spending the money, but not taking the p*ss by doing high miles in them. Because of that, I don't think the Govt has to legislate against us. The average person doesn't want to drive an old vehicle, they want new, so I think we're seen as an entertaining oddity that's a nett contributor to the economy. Good point, though he made, that because of the high CO2 created in making an electric vehicle people can't keep on updating their electric vehicles like they would with ICE ones. I wonder how they'll convince the general public obsessed with the bella figura.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,195 Posts
I think everyone is missing thee end point. It's NOT about anyone having cars electric or otherwise, it's purely about controlling free movement of the masses.

All of this is beingh driven by the UNs drive to sero road deaths by 2050 ...that they started in 1950 .

All very noble but surely there are far more important issues that claim far more lives than motor accidents , like wars, famine, illnesses etc etc.

If the need for oil can be done away with there will be a HUGE shift in world power as well.

IF the end game is about pollution then stopping manufacturing new cars should be the first step to keeping low emissions and then develop fresh sources of fuel for existing IC engines.

Stop shipping cheap crap from one side of the planet to another, make your OWN country fully self sustaing so little need to buy in others produce. Oh wait, there's no profit in that and,like it or not , that is what drives our current 'civilisation'.

So much of what we purchase is what we are told we want rather than what we actually need.

·
Administrator
9,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Although I see your idea/point Kev, I don't think it will necessarily happen that way.
As the guy says in the video - they cannot produce/sell enough cars to replace the fleet by 2030 not even by 2040 possibly not even by 2050. That's assuming everyone wants to shell out for a new car/contract. There are 33 million cars registered in the UK, need to watch the vid again to check the stats but I think its 10% of those are hybrid/electric. Sales currently of electric/hybrid are 2 million per year in the UK. Yes that will increase but not that quickly.

They would have to force/offer free cars to everyone to achieve this - and that's not going to happen.

It was interesting to note that car manufacturers are quite concerned about 'brand' with electric. All electric cars are virtually the same to drive aparrently and how do you 'sell' your brand over others if they are all the same??

As he states - it's only Europe pushing this agenda, the rest of the less developed world will be using petrol engines for decades to come. Ferrari have stated they cannot produce a 100% electric Ferrari - it would not be a 'Ferrari' anymore. So, this would mean Ferrari moving from Italy to a country where it would still be legal to make/sell Ferrari's. Europe will actually lose out a lot of jobs/sales because of this.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,195 Posts
I know about the arguement for brand retention and the two main EU players both have different ideas on that. I've spoken directly to people who have SEEN the future who work there .Biggest issue stopping autonomous cars on the road right now is the laws need to be amended .One is pushing the Johnny cab agenda so loyalty won't matter you won't have a hoice about what turns up at your door. This also solves a vast amount of charging / infrastructure issues.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The glaring 'elephant in the room' IMHO is tax revenue. If we do not drive petrol/diesel cars where are the government going to get the billions in lost tax revenue from?
Expect electricity to be taxed at the current fuel rates (about 80%) and not just for people who have cars.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Reasonably optimistic outlook. I like the idea of carbon neutral fuel for internal combustion engines. It will be interesting to see how modified cars are viewed I think. Fit EFi and an overdrive gearbox to a big V8 powered car and you automatically make it greener, but will it still be seen as a classic by the powers that for the purposes of historic purposes?. It should, but you only have to look to the blunt emissions view in the US and California in particular when the smog laws were passed and even cleaner running cars failed because they had been modified.
The biggest worry with something like a 1,000 mile limit is finding the money for 5 cars to bump up your mileage allowance:pmsl:

·
Registered
916 Posts
carbon neutral

can someone explain how that works.

on some of my delivery,s,on the address notes by one of the big corriors,its states there a carbon neutral company.

but the bloke delivered it in a deisel van.
I believe the idea is part of the cost of the delivery goes to planting some trees...

·
Registered
879 Posts
Hes speaking from the perspective of a multi millionaire farmer and high end classic car owner with a collection of £60k watches .. the reality for me and thee is probably different .. watch as he sells off his more valuable "investments" and turns his farm land over to solar panels for a tidy income without even firing up his tractor.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hes speaking from the perspective of a multi millionaire farmer and high end classic car owner with a collection of £60k watches .. the reality for me and thee is probably different .. watch as he sells off his more valuable "investments" and turns his farm land over to solar panels for a tidy income without even firing up his tractor.
That may well be the case, but I thought he came out with some good general points. For example, you can buy a quartz watch that operates very efficiently maintenance free until the battery goes, but it's not quite the same as the experience of mechanically operated watch where you need to wind it up, and even possibly see the works inside. You can buy an electric car that's really quick and sits on the road well, but it's not quite the same as going up and down through the box on your Ferrari F40 (or Mazda MX5). I thought it quite measured and backed up by stats ie not jumping up and down and saying we've nothing to worry about, but equally 2030 shouldn't mean the end of all we hold dear.

·
Stroker
5,486 Posts
I don't even do 1000 miles in my daily!!

All the likely stumbling issues have been highlighted and guess what the deadline is, just words on a bit of paper.

We're about to have a no deal Brexit after four years of arguing, covid still has the world guessing on many aspects, it seems unlikely to be able to manufacture enough green vehicles for the western world let alone enable all the population rich or middle class to plug the feckers in.

By 2028 the goal posts will be moved and they wont even admit defeat just bluster about hydrogen technology coming or feeling guilty for raping the poor countries of the materials needed for batteries.

Imo

Reactions: redoxide and kapri

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,195 Posts
2030 won't be the end , just the OFFICIAL start of the end.

What we like to do can be stretched out by playing by their rules and using the same rules against them .

However in reality we will be doing it for ourselves not for any future generations with the same interests :(

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
It might be the "end" of new car sales but petrol and derv is NEVER going to disappear, Merc is on it already with new ICE engines.....and my mate wants to know how big the battery would have to be for his 100ton wrecker that pulls artics out of ditches down the side of the Motorway......
It will never be mainstream fully.

....should say, in "our" lifetime....dont give a fk what happens after that, that's for the snowflakes to sort out.

·
Administrator
9,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
carbon neutral

can someone explain how that works.

on some of my delivery,s,on the address notes by one of the big corriors,its states there a carbon neutral company.

but the bloke delivered it in a deisel van.
Easy to explain - it's all total bollocks.

Nothing is carbon neutral , it's just a catchphrase of the modern world to make money.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
As far as i'm aware the CF to make an electric vehicle is something like 35% more than a petrol one......no one ever mentions that...oh wait, plant a tree or two and its ok 'cos it offsets it, fkn bollox all of it, lying bastards to "get their own way", its not working and they fkn know it.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Easy to explain - it's all total bollocks.

Nothing is carbon neutral , it's just a catchphrase of the modern world to make money.
Exactly!
I was approached recently by a carbon-neutral start-up company. They wanted a 'donation' to get the company up and running, after which they would charge me to basically plant trees. Absolute total utter bollocks. How planting a few trees can offset the emissions from a hot rod, a muscle car, a V-twin motorbike, a turbo road car and a diesel van eludes me.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I'll make a prediction, all the ads for electric junk will stop "soon"....watch the same Muppets start pushing hybrids.....tick tock

1 - 20 of 75 Posts