Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think everyone is missing thee end point. It's NOT about anyone having cars electric or otherwise, it's purely about controlling free movement of the masses.

All of this is beingh driven by the UNs drive to sero road deaths by 2050 ...that they started in 1950 .

All very noble but surely there are far more important issues that claim far more lives than motor accidents , like wars, famine, illnesses etc etc.

If the need for oil can be done away with there will be a HUGE shift in world power as well.

IF the end game is about pollution then stopping manufacturing new cars should be the first step to keeping low emissions and then develop fresh sources of fuel for existing IC engines.

Stop shipping cheap crap from one side of the planet to another, make your OWN country fully self sustaing so little need to buy in others produce. Oh wait, there's no profit in that and,like it or not , that is what drives our current 'civilisation'.

So much of what we purchase is what we are told we want rather than what we actually need.
Yep, you're onto it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I blieve that in 10-15 years tops we will see up to 60% of EVs on the roads. The only drawback EVs have at the moment is low range, slow charging and relatively high prices. If vendors manage to fix these issues that will make mass adoption a matter of time, my opinion.

·
1,145 Posts
Electric cars are only environmentally friendly at the point of use. Nobody factors the environmental (and human) cost of mining and refining lithium, let alone the actual production process. I'm with Martin Harris on this one

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Electric cars are only environmentally friendly at the point of use. Nobody factors the environmental (and human) cost of mining and refining lithium, let alone the actual production process. I'm with Martin Harris on this one
The Manufactures of electric cars are running scared, 40% of folk who have followed the sheep and got one have replaced it with a fuel burning car...it can NOT work, ever, there will never be an infrastructure to support the whole shit show IMO.
Rock up to a gas station and there are 10 cars waiting for fuel, you are in and out in 10mins, rock up to a charging station and there are 10 cars waiting...you are in a fkn B&B for the night.

·
1,145 Posts
......and what happens if everyone (that can) goes home after work and puts their car on charge and makes a cup of tea?😂

·
Registered
181 Posts
As soon as the 'suits' who decide they've saturated the market (and used up all the worlds lithium resourses etc) selling so called Green Electric new cars to the gullible sheep, they will then create the 'new must have' such as Hydrogen powered ULTRA GREEN save the planet vehicles. It's just us , Joe Public who will loose out.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Saw a gag somewhere on FB today where Columbo asks the question “If you run out of Electricity on the Freeway can you walk to fuel stop to fetch a bucket of Electric to get you going “?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
One of the 'green' issues lurking in the background is transporting the cars from point of manufacture to point of sale. Most will sit on a ship at some point, and the fuel that cargo ships use is the dirtiest and least efficient fuel known to man!

·
Registered
921 Posts
These are all good arguments, but if you go along with the current orthodoxy of electric good/petrol bad you'll never be persuaded. If you do limited miles then driving a '70s Cadillac Eldorado (remembered from my Observers Book of Cars), for all the reasons stated previously, is greener than buying a new Pacific Basin electric vehicle. However, all the bloke in the street sees is the exhaust pipe of an existing vehicle, rather than the raw materials, manufacture and subsequent supply chain and disposal that goes with a new electric vehicle .

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,198 Posts
The problem is that the bulk of people think a 3 year old ca is 'old' and it' stim eto swap for a new one. 10 year old cars are old bangers...attitudes all fed by therir inability to understand the workings and paying main dealer prices.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Yes, a good point. Possible future repairs at main dealer rates, or UK labour rates generally, hang over people like the Sword of Damocles, particularly as many these days live to the limit of their income. All those wonderful features that were so attractive when they first got the thing can come back to bite subsequently. Even changing a light bulb can be £60. I guess this is why PCPs have taken off.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
My Ford Focus is twenty years old, I've had for ten years and it cost me 4K. I've never bought a new car because I have never had the money to do so. Will a ten year old EV even be usable due to relatively limited battery life. I doubt I would be able to afford the cost of a new L-ion battery. When IC powered vehicles are finally legislated of the road there would be millions of low earning people pushed into public transport while only the more affluent will be able carry on buying/leasing cars that have the latest (allegedly) green technology.

The existing infrastructure needed for EV charging will struggle to keep up with the relatively rapid growth of EV's and the power needed will not be achievable by existing generating sources. Future technology may be developed that will change every area of transport, whether it be for cars, trucks, planes or ships. The aim for a totally carbon neutral modes of transport is a laudable one but I think it's going to take many years to develop.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Last night when returning from a fantastic dragstalgia at Santa Pod I stopped at the services on the A1, when walking across the car park I noticed 5 Tesla's parked up with occupants inside on charge, went in got my meal deal came out sat on the bench stuffed my face while looking at the Tesla occupants sitting there motionless, life draining from their faces, walked back to my 15 year old diesel car drove round to petrol station filled up, then drove back past the Tesla's and back on the A1, - is this what we've got to look forward to ? doesn't look good to me.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Last night when returning from a fantastic dragstalgia at Santa Pod I stopped at the services on the A1, when walking across the car park I noticed 5 Tesla's parked up with occupants inside on charge, went in got my meal deal came out sat on the bench stuffed my face while looking at the Tesla occupants sitting there motionless, life draining from their faces, walked back to my 15 year old diesel car drove round to petrol station filled up, then drove back past the Tesla's and back on the A1, - is this what we've got to look forward to ? doesn't look good to me.
Ha ha , fkn hilarious....and its not even in full swing yet, ..........."quick ,drag the reliable fuel burner out, we need to get there on time":ROFLMAO:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,198 Posts
The REAL solution is an alternative furl for existing vehicles. I daren't even think how long it will take to cover teh emmissions created by scarppingperfectly good ICE vehicles to make way for electic.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I can see a lot of new cars being pre-registered on Dec 31st 2029...
Thats if you can find one with an ICE for sale. Most manufacturers will have stopped making and selling them way before 2030. Its going to happen faster than we think.

Mal

21 - 40 of 80 Posts