Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,198 Posts
Thats if you can find one with an ICE for sale. Most manufacturers will have stopped making and selling them way before 2030. Its going to happen faster than we think.

Mal

Exactly Malc , it's obvious they are not going to be making cars up to 2030 that will overnight become unregisterable . I think about 2027 will be the last date you can buy a new OEM car .

A lot depends on HOW the government are going to stop sales . If they stop NEW registrations of ICE then I see it impacting on importing ANY cars .If they want to lower emmission I see the registration of imported vehicles also being hit . I wonder how many importers , and involved businesses , have even thought about it ?

·
Registered
921 Posts
This might be a glass half empty thought, but nobody will be buying new ICE cars (other than Ferraris etc) in three or 4 years because they'll be worried they won't have a resale value a few years on from that. Same goes for companies supplying cars on PCP. Therefore, the payments every month on a PCP will have to be very high to compensate. We're obviously in love with the petrol engine, but think about it from the general public's point of view and all they're bothered about is an affordable new vehicle that can be charged up easily (look how cheap it is to run at point of use compare with my old petrol car!). PCPs will partly address that, and the Govt will go all out on fast charging points everywhere. The other morning they made the announcement that HGVs will need to be carbon neutral by 2040. The woman interviewing the Govt representative, I thought sensibly, pointed out that all this was reliant on technology moving along at pace and wouldn't it be better to get people to change their behaviour first ie do less miles, fly off to less places etc?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I'm waiting for a price drop on the new Mustang. I don't think it will happen, til the day after I buy one of course

·
Registered
879 Posts
the love afair with electric cars wont be so rosy when the sales rise and there is a point of no return. At that point you will plug in your electric car, your smart meter will see its your car your charging and automatically switch to a car charging tariff. That charge will cost you pretty much the same as a tank of fuel for a full charge or an equivalent amount for a partial charge .. and thats where the loss of fuel revenue will be generated .

So the carrot of charging up for free, in car parks, and cheap home charging, will cease , and home charging by tariff will be the normal ...

Now consider the cost of the average electric car. few can afford a new car and a new electric car is out the equation. However lots of folk have been getting used to the PCP method of vehicle "Hire" . Thats all you will do with the electric stuff ..Hire it ..

You will own nothing and you will be happy.. The new world order ushered in right under your nose .

We will be able to use petrol cars for years to come , but given that electrics are already heavily promoted by prety much all manufactureres already , 9 years ahead of the 2030 deadline , that decline in ICE cars will gain momentum and way before 2030 manufacturers will have transitioned to electric or electric hybrid . Ful will still be available but at what cost ? It will be so expensive you as average joe wont be able to afford it .. or at least not to zip around on a whim.

Thats what I have been saying about the value of classics , why would anyone want one in say 10 years time when the chances of being able to use it as and when you wanted affordable will be a thing of the past .. ? We already signed the death warrant by allowing stuff to be registered HISTORIC .. and sold ourself down the river by gratefully accepting free road tax and no MOT.. Since when did we get anything for free without there being an undelaying agenda..

Classic car prices were inflated, nice if you managed to offload them but try shifting a run of the mill classic or a hot rod in a few years time .. seriously, unless there cheap enough to use and discard whos gonna wat it ? Add to that the fact that so many are so badly maintained given the free MOTd get out that most will be no more than scrap in a few years anyway ..

Say it aint so ? well im currently doing some work for a fella on an MOT exempt motor .. In all honesty its a fucking death trap and would NEVER pass an mot .. and im 100% confident to say that there are a shit load just like it out there .. . By the time its done it will be safe and ride nice but questionable if its still retains its entitlement to its reg.. officially..

At the end of the day its not worth bothering about .. the axe man cometh , the life span of the hobby is limited as we knew it . It will probably survive in a new format , There will or at least might be more electric motors available , along with reliable battery packes . On the back of this, industrious folk will produce electric conversion kits that are affordable , not £30k for a shit conversion that will get you 100 miles in your vintage VW camper, whats the point ? Perhaps conversions will drop in price and classic cars and hot rods ( if they can be called that) will survive converted to electric .. The good thing about that is I will be long dead and not really to worried about the scrap i leave behind..

Irony, Climate summate in Glasgow this month. 120 world leaders , 20,000 delegates and 10,000 police officers from across the country policing it .. Police Scotland received £10million to buy new vehicles for the summate ..

In the age of on line conferencing why do all of these cunts need to converge in one place for a climate summate .. ?

just some thoughts , :)

·
Registered
879 Posts
this video discusses the demand for classics in the future . Of course the dealer in high end classics isnt going to admit that these old boilers will be totally obsolete. He has to offload his stock and make a handsome living doing so for the next while , but when the curtail falls, rest assured that he will have zero stock and made sure hes sold up and moving on ..

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
I think you're wide off the mark with classics.

Speak to any rod shop and see how busy they are,and its not slowing down with blokes who want to throw 50 k at their stock pops etc.

Petrols not ending so you may find the price of second hand petrol cars start getting more expensive closer to 2030.

Think about it.bloke buys electric car but needs to travel a lot of miles,but cant do it in the timespan needed due to range and time wasted charging on route.

So a cheap petrol car is needed.just everyone will be the same.

And classics.live in or near a city with an lez zone.one car that you can go in with is a historical vehicle.

And until they say you cant please dont make up scenarios.

I often wonder why you bother with any cars considering youre doom and gloom outlet on the future.

Average age of my customers,is 60 plus. No fucks are given by any off them regarding the future of cars after they are dead.

And they will have done what they wanted,and not worried about what ifs

·
Registered
879 Posts
time will tell I guess.. In the meantime Im happy to beat around in the coupe, with the flathead doing its thing for the environment LOL.. What we need is a crystal ball..

But like you say Wayne if its guys in there 60s spending cash and as mentioned on the video , if the average age for this aspect of the hobby is mid to late 50s it stands to reason that interest will dwindle as us old farts die off ..

just a thought ..

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,198 Posts
As you know all your post has pretty much been my prediction as well . I din't see it as gloom and doom but rather just being aware of problems we MAY ( but I personally believe WILL) in the future .

Historics and 8 points builds are a world away from ground up rods re their future fragility. That's why I've promoted BIVA as apukka registered build WILL have a longer life , and usabilty , and are bulletproof.

I've just bought another rod ,on the road running and pukka :)

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
predictions are great but pointless unless you can put a set date on to them.

since i joined the internet about 20 years back the same predictions have been said time and time again,but yet nothing of significance to rods has changed in that time.

sure at some point,maybe all cars will be banned,but why care about it now.

youre dead forever,so you may as well do what you can ,while you can. .

theres still as many cars being built today that will fall fail of the eight point system as there way 20 years ago. still no fucks are given,and youre scene,surely must be better for that.

building youre car to biva spec may well be the way to go,but lets be truthfull,most people really shouldnt be left alone in a garage,let alone pocess tools to work on vehicles.but thats ok as long as the fuel pipe clips are 200mm apart.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,198 Posts
Of course you can't put a set date on predictions, thta's why they are called predictions NOT fact ;)

40 years ago we could do what we wanted no 8 points rule even or Q plates.

A mere 5 years later we WERE going to be banned from building .

Those who cared fought it off and got SVA so we could legally carry on a mere 23 years ago.

Historic Tax class came into being about now.

Roundabout that time computers kicked off in a big way .

A mere 10 years ago SVA got upgraded to BIVA .

MOT exemption came into being

5 years ago we were fighting off a definition of Historic which would have stopped rodding dead.

3 years ago we started having to declare our Historics standard or not .

Now we have a world wide campaign to go elsctric and do away with polluting vehicles with an end date for sales of those cars by 2030 ( latest) . This is pretty significant DEPENDENT of how they plan to actually stop sales, most likely through DVLA and will there be any knock on from that such as stopping importing dirtly old polluting cars when we already have enough of our own? Who knows for sure until they announce a date .

I agree nothings changed for those who still ignore the writing on the wall or remember what HAS happened.

I'd have thought you might be concerned as it is your business but as you've said in the past you will simply walk away and find something else to do.

Go BIVA and get another 20/30 years out of the correctly registered car . Don't go BIVA and maybe ,possible never , have an issue .

Interestingly BIVA already has a section for testing one off electric vehicles.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
why should i be concerned.

it never has been or never will be my responsibility on how my customers register their vehicles..half will never finish their projects anyway.

and every single one of them knows the score.

all adults.all capable of making there own choices.

the writings isnt on the wall is it.unless you want to wait for eternity

like i said nothing has changed if you want to build a rod.certainly not since iva came in.

so you may have to declare if youre historic is modified.unless youre pretty stupid,no one is.

as much as you and many others may worry,and some will worry for others,everyone else like befor,will bend or read the rules to suit themselfs.

now that will go on forever.i know some dont like it,but if it wasnt for that and pure ignorance,youre scene would not excist today.rod runs with the same 30 q plated cars at them.

and my business.i recon it will see me to retirement,i wont care if it doesnt though.its just work.it has no real meaning

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Hopefully one day folk will see through all this crap electric stuff and discover all the "band aid" programmes that need to be in place to bail the garbage out of trouble.
....as I said previously, the public are the "Guinea pigs"
The "World" record to travel from L end to J o'Groats in an electric vehicle done a few weeks ago was fkn hilarious, a full "Team" of techie nerds from Ford had to go along for support, done at night, minimal traffic, blah blah, all these pro electrics idiots are fooling themselves, it took 8hrs more than an ICE.... :LOL: .

·
Stroker
5,488 Posts
Getting back to some earlier posts I kinda get it now about the drop off of fossil cars way before 2030. A mates van is not compliant to the new save the planet zone introduced to Bath a little while back. He claims the older vans are now worthless, no trade in value, booof overnite older workhorses condemned by the stroke of Greta's quill.
so who the feck is gonna buy a new fossil car now let alone five years time. As fear sets in, fuel and road tax rise and even after a short while Bath council are saying acutally commercial vehicle environment charges aint enough we may need to chase cars off the road. This craps gonna get up a lick o speed in no time.

Also, maybe the one off baby boomer period where theres a load of 50 60 somethings who really can burn £40-50k on a garage ornament will keep things bobbing along funnily enough until 2030 but when that dosh is burned off and the tax burdened young uns paying the £Gazillions back the government has pissed in to covid and fuck knows what else like woke workshops, reparation and trans ops a bastard e scooter's gonna be a fecking Ferrari.

Carry on :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Hopefully one day folk will see through all this crap electric stuff and discover all the "band aid" programmes that need to be in place to bail the garbage out of trouble.
....as I said previously, the public are the "Guinea pigs"
The "World" record to travel from L end to J o'Groats in an electric vehicle done a few weeks ago was fkn hilarious, a full "Team" of techie nerds from Ford had to go along for support, done at night, minimal traffic, blah blah, all these pro electrics idiots are fooling themselves, it took 8hrs more than an ICE.... :LOL: .
Those of us who are into and know anything about cars did see through the electric nonsense a long time ago, but the wider public just don't care, as a result they go round feeling smug about saving the planet by scrapping their perfectly good five year old car for an oversize Scalextric. The same car they'll take their two year old electrical appliances to the tip in when they want a new one. The manufacturers couldn't give a hoot, all they want is more sales and they see electric cars - and whatever cash bung Governments are giving them to gee up the switch - as a route to more profit. Put it this way, I don't like sprouts, but if I'm hungry and that's all that's on offer, what am I going to do - it's electric or nowt.
It's interesting, doncha think, how this global pandemic has also positioned a lot of us into a place where we don't need to leave home to work. Just beaver away in the little box you call home, pay you're taxes and stay quiet. Personally, I think electric vehicles are just the next step toward outlawing personal transportation altogether (unless you're super wealthy of course and the rules don't apply)
I've got my old musclecar and I'm prepared to throw some money at it to make it even better over the next few years, but I'm not banking on making anything back on it at the end of the day. I can see it all being over, not today, but possibly in my lifetime, but not today or tomorrow, so we may as well carry on. The writing is on the wall, but we've at least ten years to go at it in my view and that's a long time at my age!
I always look at it in the context of going to my local. I like the beer and the company, I have a great time, but the return on my investment is literally nil (unless men with large bellies suddenly become marketable, then I'm in)
It doesn't make sense, but we're not like 'normal' people, thank God
There may come a critical moment for the wider public, when a lemming like charge to dispose of ICE vehicles is triggered and it probably wouldn't be that hard. Look how easy it was to get everybody to lock themselves indoors and mask up every time they breathed. Until then, I think we need to just have at it

·
Registered
879 Posts
Old geezers see it looming , it a bit like when cars were taking off and folk never believed they would swap there horse and cart for a lorry . Not to many horses pulling carts these days . Its now our old oil burners Vs self driving battery powered bullshit . The buzz is far to big for the automobile not to change and pressure from the movers and shakers on the environmental scene are pushing hard , emotionally blackmailing the general public AKA sheep to buy into the money spinning lie .. . Its not that the scene is dying it will hang in there till the bitter end , but its hard to argue that its in its twilight years , last one out put the lights out and close the door behind you .. the internal combustion engine is dying as we knew it .. But if you pull your socks up and fit a fully fandangled ecu equipped fuel injected modern misile launcher under the bonnet you might and indeed probably will extend the life of thigs for a wee bit longer .. but then what.. Im guessing that because we are what we are its inevitable that folk will fit electric motors into modified cars .. its got to happen and to be honest a modified car , for argument sake let just call it a hot rod , will be fitted with an electric motor it will extend the legs of the hobby further . its just a matter of time before tesla shit and other electric crap is easily available as accidnet damaged, but with autonamous driving accidents shouldnt really happen :unsure: but as the tech gets old the old stuff will be available.. Young guns will find our old fossils, bin the old petrol motors, fit out of date electric motors and cruise around the local area well within the range of there old school nickel cadmium power source ..

check out this snap shot of the future 🤮 it will still exist but not as we know it .. :(

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Once the doners become cheap enough you will see electric rods over here.

Ive had a couple of customer's look into this.

Not sure why the old boys are so worried about whats going to happen in ten years or so. Highlight of their days then will be what nurse is going to change their man nappy

41 - 60 of 80 Posts