Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
We're just tiny specks in the history of time. There was a miniscule blip between about 1900 and 2040 when to provide propulsion people poured a volatile liquid into their conveyance. From about 2025 to ???? electric propulsion became popular until the advent of **** in whenever and that was the thing for the next few years. It was fun while it lasted. I guess there must have been people in the late 19th century restoring old carriages. I wonder where all those have gone. It's the pace of change. But what I think is amazing is that I can still hop in my 71 year old vehicle and still readily get fuel, easily available tyres, lubricants etc.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Once the doners become cheap enough you will see electric rods over here.

Ive had a couple of customer's look into this.

Not sure why the old boys are so worried about whats going to happen in ten years or so. Highlight of their days then will be what nurse is going to change their man nappy
Think I would rather shit my nappy than consider an electric NOT ROD .. A bunch of rich old guys or worse still rich young guys in plastic bodied elctric mobility vehicles LOL(n)

·
Administrator
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Having driven a Tesla recently and tried out the 3.6 second 0-60, I'd be happy for an electric motor from a performance point of view.
But to me the beauty of hot rods IS the V8, so I would dearly miss the sound and the shake of the car at idle. I expect though that subwoofers and audio tracks will also appear in the future (the BMW i8 already has this and sounds fantastic) that will completely mimic the sound of any engine you care to buy the audio file of.
On the plus side, it will make trying to fit axles & exhausts into tiny spaces a lot easier :)

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
LMAO, "all" these electric rods look great ....on display or putting round a fairground, you are never seeing one going down the M1...ever, because of the insecurities of the potential owners.
they daren't even set off anywhere in a Nissan Leaf, its all "look at me" garbage....and that stuff has had massive development by a factory.
Lots of people can/will try it....come on then, lets set off on a tour of Scotland...."err, no got to go to me Mams for tea".....

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Once the doners become cheap enough you will see electric rods over here.

Ive had a couple of customer's look into this.

Not sure why the old boys are so worried about whats going to happen in ten years or so. Highlight of their days then will be what nurse is going to change their man nappy
Us old boys are worried because we care not just about ourselves, but the history and aura of combustion engines, the sound, the smell, the feel, which are inextricably linked with the development of the hot rod. People who think the end of ICE is no big thing have no soul. It saddens me to think of their demise, inevitable as it is

·
Registered
916 Posts
Us old boys are worried because we care not just about ourselves, but the history and aura of combustion engines, the sound, the smell, the feel, which are inextricably linked with the development of the hot rod. People who think the end of ICE is no big thing have no soul. It saddens me to think of their demise, inevitable as it is
I do wonder if humans connect with reciprocating engines in some primeval way because they have a 'beat', which purely rotating motors lack?

Phew, that was heavy, I'm off for a lie down...

·
Registered
921 Posts
With an ICE there's a link that you can trace all the way back to the Industrial Revolution with steam power and threshing machines and the visible bits of steam trains. It's why traction engines have such a following and are a popular attraction at steam fairs. It's a very blokey thing, methinks.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
I was at the Pod last year when a guy took the world record for an electric motorcycle. My mate turned to me and said "what do ya think?", I said "if thats the future of drag racing then I'm done", "me too", came the reply.

·
Registered
921 Posts
My late uncle had a Mitsubishi hybrid and prided himself on mainly running it on electric (not in a Greta kind of way, but so he didn't have to buy juice). To do this however, he said that meant everything was switched off - heater, A/C, radio etc etc. If you've a fair old commute in an electric only one on a rainy, cold day with poor visibility and want to listen to traffic reports it could all end in tears. We've all driven stuff where the dynamo/alternator has packed up and know what you've got to do to eke out those last few volts. But out of choice?

·
Registered
916 Posts
There's a radio ad for the new hybrid Transit that 'boasts' of the range on pure electric running... (drum roll)... 26 miles!

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,393 Posts
Very true, my daily is a 2018 Volvo V90 with the 185bhp D4 diesel engine and 8 speed Aisin auto box. It’s brilliant but Volvo have now gone the hybrid-only route and don’t do any ICE only models anymore.

Enjoy it all while you can, times are changing, we can’t stop it, but don’t get miserable, just enjoy the freedom we have with what we’ve got.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Yet in 100 days time the G7? summit decide to , or not, to build a new drilling rig off the coast of Shetland Isle...hmmmm.....
"Rainbow...ugh...warrior" ship is already there, wonder what fuel it runs on.....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Yet in 100 days time the G7? summit decide to , or not, to build a new drilling rig off the coast of Shetland Isle...hmmmm.....
"Rainbow...ugh...warrior" ship is already there, wonder what fuel it runs on.....:rolleyes:

isnt that the irony of it all.

like the superstars who fly across the world to preach about green issues.

you know what to do.when we cant buy petrol, any more,move to some third world shithole with a bigger population as us,and youre be able to drive a proper petrol and diesel, car for eternity.
they will be the same shitholes that will never do anything for the enviroment.

makes you wonder who the stupid are in the world.and were supposed to be the inteligent ones.

all the 1st world country,s will have given up all their freedoms,but not the rest of the world

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I think we're all screwed really. There's a generation in this country who will eventually vote in the imbecilic greens because they have an idyllic painted unicorn view of the world. Once they put the powerless in power, then we're done in this country. The nations who don't give a shit about all that will move in and take over

·
Registered
921 Posts
An interesting point, and it may well have been covered, but are manufacturers not allowed to sell ICE into the UK after 2030 ie could manufacturers in the UK (what's left of them) be still allowed to manufacture and sell ICE abroad?

If you recall, the original date was 2035, or maybe later, and it was Boris's girlfriend, now wife, who persuaded him to move it to 2030. This was part of her power struggle with Dominic Cummings, who she persuaded the PM to get shot of. An internecine power struggle behind the throne. And because of this we'll all have to suffer.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Think I would rather shit my nappy than consider an electric NOT ROD .. A bunch of rich old guys or worse still rich young guys in plastic bodied elctric mobility vehicles LOL(n)
Same here, clowns want knocking out for even thinking about it....casuals LOL.

·
Stroker
5,488 Posts
Reactions: kapri
61 - 80 of 80 Posts