Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... but we can save it :tup:

No , nothing to do with Leonard Nimoy , I'm talking about the airplane . Got sent this the other day and thought it was worth passing on to you lot , be good to spend a couple of quid and help save this icon of the air don't you think ...

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
right with ya on this ratty ,:tup:
watched it flying over my workshop last year along with the bbmf , fantastic sight and the noise makes the hairs on your neck stand up !
:smoke:

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Fookin thing scared me witless the other month, thought something was gonna crash into me house!!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
My favourite plane ever. I remember seeing one at the Manston airshow in Kent years ago and as it flew over it cast a huge shadow with that beautiful delta wing and the roar of the engine was memorable. This MUST be saved.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Sorry guys its fuckin rubbish not even worth moth balling ,could'nt even do what it was designed for.

melt the fuckers down for street signs:tup:Jeff

Sorry Ratty

·
scavengers cc
2,897 Posts
This was on our local news last night, they said he needs £200,000 by the end of this month to keep it flying and then another £300,000 by the end of next month...why?, now its a shame with an iconic war plane but christ a total of £500,000 in 2 months then what happens?.........£500,000 should go to our injured soldiers who really need it, than to a plane that a lot of us may never see in the air ....just my thoughts.....toad

·
Registered
246 Posts
This was on our local news last night, they said he needs £200,000 by the end of this month to keep it flying and then another £300,000 by the end of next month...why?, now its a shame with an iconic war plane but christ a total of £500,000 in 2 months then what happens?.........£500,000 should go to our injured soldiers who really need it, than to a plane that a lot of us may never see in the air ....just my thoughts.....toad
Ive got to agree.I put into the pot to get the thing flying again in the first place (admittedly not a lot) Now if it was a case of needing £200,000 so they could use it to bomb the taliban Then i'd be happy to do it again.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
This Flew over Shakey Last years Hot Rod Drags, about 4/5 on sunday. Very high but unmistakable. Lots of cameras pointed skywards. Anyone here get any
good pics?

·
Registered
261 Posts
why can't they moth ball it and only use it on special occassions :S:S

i would love to see concord rise from the ashes :sniff::sniff:

that truly was the best bird in the skies...............

·
richard rawlplug
8,114 Posts
Sorry guys its fuckin rubbish not even worth moth balling ,could'nt even do what it was designed for.

melt the fuckers down for street signs:tup:Jeff

Sorry Ratty
disagree,its about the historical element not the design..
alot of things in them days didnt do what they said on the can...

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
i would love to see concord rise from the ashes :sniff::sniff: that truly was the best bird in the skies...............
I saw the Vulcan fly over Milton Keynes last year as i was driving my car, at my first glance upwards my thought was - what the hells Concorde doing up there, its supposed to be grounded. Another look and i realised what it was.
Be a shame if it got grounded again after all the work thats gone into it.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey , I didn't tell anyone the had to donate , there's plenty more worthwhile things to spend money on than keeping some out of date hunk of metal in a good enough condition to be used purely for enjoyment . So what if it looks better than whats out there today and raises a smile when its seen being used . Maybe they should shut it up in a museum where people can walk past it imagine the sight and sound of it screaming around .

Just off for a drive in my Prius , back later , can't stop :roll:

·
Registered
280 Posts
It is certainly an amazing aircraft when you see it flying, but my memories of this type of aircraft are from a previous era, when the politicians were playing brinkmanship with nuclear weapons.

We had, for days, had news broadcasts about the Russian threat, with reports on how our early warning system would give our forces time to scramble in order to retaliate, and that how the threat was currently so serious that the Vulcans were manned 24hrs ready to respond.
This particular day was sunny, a nice day with folks out in the open air, when there was a thunderous noise, but very high up in the sky, but clearly visible, a flight of English Electric Lightnings heading eastward, and from the sound pedal to the metal.. Everyone lost interest in what they had been doing, and were looking to the skies when there was a new sound, and a flight of three Vulcans flew over and they were very low; we had never seen them so low before, and before they were out of sight there was another three and then yet another three, all heading eastwards, and malking one hell of a noise. People were really alarmed, most conviced that we really were heading to war, and possible nuclear oblivion. Later that day there were convoys of army vehicles heading up the A12, which did nothing to calm people down. Nothing happened of course, but we shall never know what was going on or how near we came then, or on other occasions. What was noticed though was that the news broadcasts made no mention of either these events or what the politicions were up to on the global scene...hmmm

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
In the 'hottest' period of the Cold War some of these Vulcans were on standby-fueled running and armed,ready to go on less than 15 mins. notice. Some of the airmen left instructions to their wives to go to remote parts of the country as the only hope of survival. We may never know how close we came...
Later the Vulcan proved its worth by its ability to reach the Falklands,the Argies didn't expect that!

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
In the 'hottest' period of the Cold War some of these Vulcans were on standby-fueled running and armed,ready to go on less than 15 mins. notice. Some of the airmen left instructions to their wives to go to remote parts of the country as the only hope of survival. We may never know how close we came...
Later the Vulcan proved its worth by its ability to reach the Falklands,the Argies didn't expect that!
they were that far off the target they nearly missed the Island, and they could'nt fly any lower because they were scared they would get shot down,
but it was the only heavy bomber we had

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
they were that far off the target they nearly missed the Island, and they could'nt fly any lower because they were scared they would get shot down,
but it was the only heavy bomber we had
And who won that particular war again ..? :beuj:

·
Global Warmer
1,200 Posts
Read Vulcan 607 by Rowland White.

P.

·
Registered
548 Posts
what do port stanley runway and spocks mother have in common, they have both been f*c*e* by a vulcan. But seriously its the only one of its type flying in the world at the present time they were an awesome sight in their day it deserves to be kept flying. why do we preserve old cars?.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts