Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just acquired this:

1979 'Four Eyed Fox' Mustang.
Has a 302/C4/8.8(possibly!). LHD. Been off the road for 18 years but still has live plates (that's a thing here).
Looks rough but the bodywork is straight as a die, comes with everything to put it back together, spare set of alloys, lots of new parts.
The previous previous owner started to restore it and the underside is absolutely mint. Not sure I'm a lover of the purple tho'.

The previous owner fitted new brakes and suspension with (allegedly) lowering springs.

Plan is to paint it, get it low, stick a nice set of wheels on it, throw a cam in the motor and go have some fun.
(Inevitably it will end up tubbed with a blown 460 in it but it's nice to dream that I won't.)

To those that know me this will come as no surprise as I've always had a 'thing' for fox Mustangs, having owned a couple of pace cars and a few GT's (one with two turbo's and a nice Tremec).
A good friend of mine is a designer illustrator who penned this when I was dropping a 460 into my last pace car:

More on the build as soon as I get it home!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It struck me that although I've owned a few Foxes, I've never owned a notchback.
Looking at Google it reckons that the notch and the hatch weigh the same, but anyone who has tried to remove a hatch from a car will know that they were made by welding two black holes together and then blending them together with lead.
Anyhoo.....
It's started already :roll:
Whilst browsing a 'local auction site' last night I found this:

It's a Rotomaster turbo kit for a 302 Windsor. Mine for $50!

I know it's not an up-t0-date kit, but it is most definitely 'of the era' and it probably won't make it go slower.

·
Stroker
5,456 Posts
Wow! Jackpot!! :D

Reactions: legendlives

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Make sure you put a B303 cam in!!.................................................. mandatory on fox bodys since 1990 LOL
Looks like a good solid car mate, ill be watching your progress on this:tup:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Day 4 of lockdown here in NZ, and about time I did more car stuff.
The bonnet (hood) of the 'Tang had a rusty corner. It looks like at some time the bonnet has been off and stored on it's side as there is a rusty (but not rotten) line all along that seam.
This is one of only three small rust repairs I'm going to have to do, so here goes. a third of the rust gone in one small photo sequence.
Bonnet as removed. You can see the bad spot from a distance and it doesn't get nicer up close:

So cut out the offending piece. Clean up a bit and rust-protect the exposed bits:

Make up new panel, weld in, clean up. Ready for a bit of plod and then paint:

I even matched the original shapes of the corner seam folds:

More soon!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Boot lid:

"I'll just give it a buzz off then a coat or two of primer." Famous last words. The lid was quite rusty but had been coated (primed?) with some white stuff that was obviously made of unobtanium or similar.
I tried everything: DA with 60-grit discs (this worked OK of sorts but would blunt the discs almost instantly), Sander with 60 grit sheet, sander with 40 grit sheet, grinder with flap-wheel. Nothing seemed to be truly effective so I resorted to 40 grit paper on a sanding block and then using just the edge. It took about 6 hours to get it down to clean-ish metal, then I realised that these holes:

Weren't a spoiler mount but had been drilled to pull out the dent in that area. Out with the TIG and welded them up:

Not pretty due to the thickness of the metal etc, but sealed up none-the less.

A quick skim of filler and it was evident that the depression in the boot was quite large. Very shallow, but large:

So after a quick spray over with rust inhibitor it was time for a couple of coats of etch primer.

Had I been in the US I would have trashed it in an instant and been down to NPD before it hit the scrap pile, but I'm in NZ where these things just aren't plentiful.
I might see the logistics of replacing it after lock-down, but for now at least it's presentable.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More boring bodywork, but this time with modifications!

After stripping the wings, a few holes became evident. These ones obviously from a side-repeater light:

And this one at the base of the wing from???? Possible a trim piece or mud flap:

After a bit of TIGgery, grindery and beatery:

And then a small skim of filler-y:

At this point I'd normally blab on about etch primer, but unfortunately I've run out!
Leaving me the last resort of Red-Oxide primer:

This will be coated with hi-build primer once it's fully cured.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Love it dude. I like the purple as something a bit different. If you’re looking for conversion mounts sump and headers they turn up quite often on the 429/460 page on Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The RH wing went very similar to the LH one, except for the humungous series of holes that was the aerial mount:

I don't know why Ford saw fit to bolt half a ton of (ugly) metal to the top of the wing just to mount the aerial. Even back in the 70's there must have been better options.
Anyhoo, bare metal goodness:

Followed by the usual weld, grind, red oxide and then a few coats of hi-build primer. Front end now has no side marker holes, trim holes or aerial hole:

Apparently the weather is due to change a bit tomorrow, so the next step will be removing the doors to bare-metal & prime under cover.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts