Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I've been doing the same on my trailer. Like a the Mustang but finer lines, more sophisticated.

View attachment 295443
:rofl:

Are you trying to tell me that my 'Mexican Tractor' is less refined than your trailer? :shocked:
Yeah, probably a fair point! :whistle:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
With the front wings and bonnet back on it begins to look more like a car!

On to the back wings. The LH wing took ages to get back to metal. The paint was more than 2mm thick in places, but I'm glad I made the effort as the surface rust under the (seemingly) smooth paint definitely needed attention.
The arch had obviously been in the wars, so I dug out all of the filler and removed/treated the rust underneath and then re-filled & shaped it. After this it had a coat of rust inhibitor, but then the rains came forcing me indoors.....

But not to be put off, I restored the bonnet badge using my wife's acrylic 'artists' paints:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
LegendLives - Always amazed at how fast you work, the car is already a big improvement. :cool:

I've posted a link to this thread on another forum I use.

As they have just restored their first 1992 Mustang ( sold in 1997, found and rebought in 2018 ).

Thread here:
https://www.ffcars.com/threads/found-my-old-fox-mustang.635780/

Good luck, Paul. :)
Wow. cool story. Thanks for the compliments, nothing stopping me working on projects at the moment due to the COVID lockdown here.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
A few people have asked why I'm taking the effort to bare-metal the whole car. This is the reason:

Doesn't look bad, does it? a couple of scabby bits but nothing that a quick scour out and fill wouldn't cure

But start looking underneath the paint and the extent of the rust, and rust capillaries become more obvious:

A few hours later. This was all done by hand as it's Good Friday and apparently the noise of a grinder is a no-no :shake:

I'll finish it and prime it tomorrow - weather permitting!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The screen scuttle is the last permanent panel on the car to be bare-metalled and primed (except for the sills which I'll do when it's up in the air).

I gave the rear wings a couple of coats of hi-build over the rust-inhibitor which has been on there for a couple of days:

Looking very grey!
Over the next couple of days I'll take the doors off and give them the same treatment.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Riders on the storm

....It's a doors reference......

Doors. What a blinking nightmare! They didn't look too bad until they were stripped which revealed all kinds of nasties (this is the driver's door):

Horrible previous repairs with gallons of filler:

Holes, presumably from another previous repair:

Rust holes under the (never to be refitted) side trims:

The only thing to do (as none of the shops and suppliers are open) was cut the old repairs out:

Renew the bottom frame lip (already done in above pic) and find some suitable metal the correct thicness:

Yeah, that'll do!. Now weld it into the hole and beat the cr*p out of it to get it near-enough straight:

Weld up the rows of holes:

And just for good measure, weld up the original door mirror holes:

Once all that is done, give it a good scour up and apply filler. There isn't actually a lot of filler on it, it's like a fat politician - covers a large area but with no depth!
(This is the passenger's door):

Then apply a coat of rust inhibitor:

Both doors are near-enough at the same stage. I won't bore you with primer pics until they're back on the car.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
1pm. One Primed Mustang!
Very happy with the progress. It's now been three and-a-half weeks of lockdown here, and aside from other projects / house projects I've managed to strip, de-rust, repair, fill shape and prime all of the steel body panels of the 'Tang. Back together now and everything fits. Very happy. :D

Compare this with the 'as bought' pics. :tup:

You can see how bad the doors were, but not the rust that lurked beneath the paint.

Now I just have a few weeks of blocking out and it will be ready for paint!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well first off...top job that man, should be a doozy once it's all sorted....:smoke:
and in the interest of anything that'll stop me getting that Covid 19 ..... BTW anyone know what happened to Covid 1 through 18 :S

So here is my Muuuuuustang ...certainly didn't need as much doing to it as yours, but british winters and American cars are not a happy mix ... so it did need a full refresh off all the suspention and brakes ...fortunately upgraded mustang stuff is fairly cheap, so out with the std stuff and in with a host of stuff from BMR/ Pedders /GT500 lower arms/SR springs etc etc

Anyhow keep rocking with the Fox...mebe you are channeling some of that famous Kiwi make it yerself attitude of Mr Burt Munro

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well first off...top job that man, should be a doozy once it's all sorted....:smoke:
and in the interest of anything that'll stop me getting that Covid 19 ..... BTW anyone know what happened to Covid 1 through 18 :S

So here is my Muuuuuustang ...certainly didn't need as much doing to it as yours, but british winters and American cars are not a happy mix ... so it did need a full refresh off all the suspention and brakes ...fortunately upgraded mustang stuff is fairly cheap, so out with the std stuff and in with a host of stuff from BMR/ Pedders /GT500 lower arms/SR springs etc etc

Anyhow keep rocking with the Fox...mebe you are channeling some of that famous Kiwi make it yerself attitude of Mr Burt Munro
Gotta love an S197. I've done loads of work on those! I'm guessing it's a 4.6 3-valve?

·
Registered
133 Posts
legend ...yes it is the 4.6.... it's the 45th anniversary one with a ROUSH kit on it

I was originally after a 1970's Mustang II or a Maverick ...

cos I think they look brilliant, and are a better size for UK roads.... but finding a decent one, or a reliable source to get one (especially after my experience with my Model A and PSS) ....Anyway this 197 came up in Scotland and was just great...all there and just needed some mechanical TLC with the running gear after being out in the weather for too long.

Anyway I don't want to load this post up with my pics but I'll be following this build to see how it turns out.... :tup:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
OK guys, I need opinions:
I'm at a bit of a crossroads with the car. I know what I want in the overall looks department, but do I go road/drag or road/track?
Reason I ask is that there is an independent rear axle available for not a lot of money which would make it the perfect track day car. There's also a manual box in the offing that I'll probably fit anyway.
Also, the Hot Rod is going to be very drag orientated so do I need two drag cars?
What do the great unwashed think?

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
a track day car would as you say give you a bit of both so i'd do that.
neil.

·
Registered
786 Posts
As Robert and Neil say, big rears and you can have the odd run up the strip as well.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts