Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it costs a lot to build a rod these days, but was looking at rods for sale, and does £25,000 - £30,000 for a glass bodied rod seem a lot to be asking ?
I'm sure that some will say thats how much the guy has in it, or "try building one for less", but really, I mean REALLY ?

·
American Truck importer
11,742 Posts
well if it's cheaper than you can build it, it's a bargain to a guy who either can't build or doesn't have the time to build.
you can't really fault somebody for trying to get their money back if they have to sell, whether or not they get the asking price depends on what buyers are looking at the time it's for sale.
and in the case of rods being built by a 'shop to be sold on, then it would be financial suicide to sell for less then the build cost, a business needs profits to pay wages and survive.
what would be too expensive for me will be cheap to a big businessman/celebrity/footballer/etc

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,363 Posts
I think the problem is that the average person couldn't afford to spend that on an essential mode of transport to use every day let alone a hobby-car. Are they worth it? If the seller thinks so and someone buys it then "yes".

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,127 Posts
The thing is Kim, they seem to sell while the lower priced ones take awhile ? So there must be a demand and the money to pay for them. As you know trying to do it in a budget CAN be done but it takes a longer time to wait for the bargains that you need . Certain cars, like Bs generally need a fair amount of 'correct' parts to make them look right and to achieve a better resale value.

Talking of which I don't know whether to put the price on mine down or UP! I know what I want for it bottom line, if I put it up for that then someone will try to chip me ,so my STARTING price allows for that.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I know its not a model B, and pops have been done to death, but my ford pop with a pinto and 4 speed auto is costing me less than 3 grand to build, I know im lucky enough to be able to do 98 % of the build myself, only farming out the paint and a good friend is doing that for me, but im sure ill enjoy it just as much if not more than something that has cost £30,000 and that I might be to scared to use just in case its gets scratched or broken, its about your own personal needs, abilities, and finances if I won the lotto on Saturday I would be building a car for well above £30,000, I know cars that have cost double than just so they can say,look my car has all the right parts and looks just the same as his over there, but that's what they want, personally I wouldn't pay £30,000 for anycar but that don't meen there not worth it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I doubt anywere near the build cost ever gets recovered by the original builder and a top quality rod build (even with glass body) must be £30,000 + probably a hell of a lot more if professional services are used. There are a number of traders on ebay that buy rods from the likes of this forum and then move them on at much higher prices. Good luck to them if they can find a buyer at the higher price, but I feel sorry for the guy that has put all the blood, sweat and tears in to the build not getting a better price.
example:
On here in Feb:
http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/vehicles-sale/32-roadster-%A324-500-a-161929

on ebay now:
1932 Ford Model B Roadster V8 Hot Rod | eBay

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
ive got a glass rod.its of reasonable condition.done it all myself bar trim and electrics.i used the best stuff available at the time and spent around 40k.i purchased all the parts ten years ago.

think I could add another ten if I choose to do the same today.another twenty to twenty five to build it for someone else

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
was chatting to a mate at the hayride who has a shop that builds rods,he told me £40-50k is what people are spending in his shop on a rod that still might need finishing,one he has there is glass and i think the owner is up to 70 on it and its not finished yet and he told me there is not the big stigma with steel vs glass in america as there seems to be here at the moment.....oh yeah and then you have to register it lol

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
they are worth what someone want to pay, when they are for sale

My Glass 32B was a lovely rod that the builder put 000's into, the next owner spent 36k on changing engine, trim, electrics, wheels, I paid 17k ! ran it for 18 months and sold it at a profit. I doubt you could have built the car for less than 20k in parts alone, rods are built and owned for love, not money/profit.

Classic cars are the same, I have a very special little mk1 Mini, paid top price at an auction (drink talking, me paying) not really using it so thought I would sell, few people on here were interested but thought it was a bit pricey, look it to a local car show, with a for sale sign and no price, car sold giving me a 1k profit.

Buy a car when the owner needs to sell it and sell a car when someone wants to buy it....... that way you get you money every time, if you sell a car because you have to or buy one off someone who does not need to sell, then you will be left with empty pockets.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I was reminded the other day when selling something non car related, price it up !! some of us might be skint, but there are still plenty out there with the ready's. And i think there can be a bit of a snob thing. If its too cheep some will say " is that all you paid for it cheepskate ! " if its expensive, its something to brag about. Have tried to sell stuff cheap (or at a realistic price) and it wont sell, double the price..and its sold , and you just think WHY !!!
To maybe Mr average £20,000 - £30,000 for a rod is expensive, but to other's maybe that's pocket money.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
good build, AND properly registered rods will be higher in price than average build and dubious registration.

read a while back that some asked why all the good rods go overseas, well read first part of the line :)
what's a car worth? for the seller the price he wants for it. for the buyer what he wants to pay for it. think that goes for every car. i spend a shitload of money already restoring a old kadett c-coupe and instaling a ford zetec engine and t9 gearbox. if i would try to sell it what i spend on it so far, people laugh at me and walk on. if i would sell it when done i might get normal value for these cars, wich aint that much. bout 2500-3000 euro. yes, pictures of build will be up very soon if there's interest for that.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
try making a list of new parts you would need for a build all brand new then a list of second hand parts the same then assembly time as and when you do it or pros do it then allow for the things you cant do fuck me that scares the shit out of you lol

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've just put this up on carandclassicmart.im asking £23k.well put together rod that's just returned from the supernats around 1000 miles and never missed a beat.it has all the right bits fitted.am I asking to much I would like to know.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sure I read somewhere that you can build a 67 Mustang fastback entirely from repro parts but it would cost $120k before labour !

·
Registered
264 Posts
25k is probably not that expensive in comparison to build costs if you pay someone to do the work.
A lot of people being freaked out by the numbers are not accounting for their time or labour because they do it for fun, and certain combo's fetch less because theyre less expensive to use and are less desireable to a wider audience and fetch fewer buyers.
As a for instance, I was watching the price of Pop's last year because I already have loads of irons in the fire taking my limited time up but wanted to get another as I had one as a yoof, a four pot powered one would often go 2-3k cheaper than something with a v8 in it. Average price for a v8 powered example was about 7k and I could have sprang 9k for the right car as my wife was nagging me not to buy yet another project and just buy a done car (yes really!). There's people that'd fancy a rod for whatever reason, but lack the skills to diy, don't have the space, some might even not WANT to get involved with all that side, mad as it ,who can just go out and work o/t instead and have the cash to just buy what they like. That's who the 25k rods are targetted at.

I bought a project instead so I could do it how I wanted as I wasn't totally happy with every aspect of each car I looked at, and I'm slowly working towards it being how I want simply because I dont think I'd be happy with the choices someone else would make and thats not how I roll. But I'd be stunned if it costs me less if I include my man hours than the money to buy a done one, it'd probably be close if I included tooling for the machine, power, gas for the tig etc never mind time.
When you start getting into model b's or 34's etc, the parts just cost more because you can't buy a old wrecker for under a grand and have at it like a Pop, the rarity goes up, the market gets bigger because of snob value so the price goes up.

So yes, really.

The cars that p*** me off are the ones you see for sale in sites for a decent price, get sold quick, then turn up on ebay for 8k more the next month and sell. The middlemen there are just parasites. The builder/seller thinks he's selling to a likeminded soul, the reseller takes advantage of that and just inflates the price for profit. You might say that the middle man is just doing what others could do, but its not cricket in my book...
Having been taken in a few times selling stuff cheap to someone because they wanted it for themselves after being begged by them for months to flog it only to find them flip it a week later at a profit, it just sucks. The only defence seems to be to charge the elevated price yourself and ignore all the sob stories of people unless you know them first hand.
Someone after my bay window camper parked in the field at the moment, just made my mind up to tell them to foxtrott oscar again. I'll drag it out and run it when I want, dont owe me more than 100 quid so it can sit and wait.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Thats what i did Kev, got sick of chancers bidding me, so put price up 500 and got asking price, :D

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Nothing has changed since I can remember
There are some key cars that are the backbone of hot rodding and Customising such as a 32 Ford,36 Ford,40 Ford,39 Mercury and 49/51 Mercs that fetch a lot of money.
The Japanese and Chinese have started buying hot rods and Customs and prices are through the roof at the moment.
I'm sure you can have fun in a slighty wobbly bodied glass car for 12 grand if you're not fussed on marque (33 plymouth for example)and will probably enjoy it more than those of us who own the expensive steel cars that we're afraid to enjoy because of their value;
£25,000 for a well built glass car is about right in my books if buying second hand

1 - 20 of 26 Posts