Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
its all down to the labour costs, I think rod builders in the uk are a damn sight better than that in the usa, I build my own because its what I love to do, farming out the work is expensive, but at the end of the day not everyone has the room, time or knowledge to put something cool together, and some of the work done by hotrodders in the uk is outstanding workmanship, the europeans know this to, and are willing to pay the top money for a decent uk built rod,

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
you would think that would be the case, it doesnt look like it though
isnt that also a reason, besides the EU crap, that the authorities are going to have a closer look into this matter? lots of wrongly registered or dubious builds are found all over the UK.

·
Premium Member
7,490 Posts
isnt that also a reason, besides the EU crap, that the authorities are going to have a closer look into this matter? lots of wrongly registered or dubious builds are found all over the UK.
Lets have some facts with that.you shouldnt read too much into what others think may happen.

No ones actively seeking anything thats modified.what happens like lots of stuff in life other things change that may or may not effect you even if it wasnt aimed at you in the firstvpkace.

Interested in these dubious builds you mention.can you elaborate on what you mean.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
we also have a different buyer these days, the guy that bought Custom Car mag thirty years ago, but house, kids, life interfered, kids left home mortgage paid up and now living there dream and getting some one to put that dream car into place spending the big money, a mate of mine who builds for a living booked up for a year at least building quality stuff..........

what baffles me is what folk pay and have paid for years for type 1's and 2's and they have been paying mad money for 20 years..........

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I can see how it could cost well over 25k to build a car and if somebody is willing to pay it than that is what it is worth to them. My build is costing pennies by comparison eg donor car (irs, ifs, engine, box, steering column, brakes) £400, steel £300, seats £10, Tank £3. The service parts such as discs, pads, seals etc have so far cost another £300 or so, 30 quid in welding electrodes, another 30 quid on paint and so on. I expect to have it built for well under 3 grand. What it will be worth at the end of the day is anybody's guess. I honestly don't care, I am building it because I love building and I hope to have a half decent car that will be unique at the end of it. It will be sold one day, hopefully to somebody else that will enjoy it rather than to somebody that will make a profit on it. One thing is for sure, I won't get back £35 an hour labour costs on it:lol:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts