Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Never confused
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Ok......

Following on from the other jukebox threads, I've noticed a vast lack of Prog Rock.

Now come on......... there must be a few old farts on here who love a bit of Prog Rock.

I'm not ( too ) old, but I do love a bit of " Old Grey Whistle Test " O.T.T. organ.

So come on..........What do YOU have stashed away on double gatefold vinyl ?

How many 10 minuate tracks can you name.

There are loads of obvious ones out there, but how about educating us with some solid gold 70's rareitys :tup:

Of course I'll start off with some of my favorites.

First up...............

Can................Halleluhwah ( from the epic 1971 album Tago Mago ).
A german act with a Japanise singer.
Radiohead's major influance ( listen & you'll see why ).

More fantastic Prog from Germany from the early 70's.

Frumpy...........Duty ( From the 1972 album Frumpy Live 2 ).
Loads of fantastic Hammond / Leslie / Wah-Wah & Super Fuzz action.
Really must have been Germany's answer to Pink Floyd.

Must be followed by the Prog masters...........

Pink Floyd...........Set The Controlls For The Heart Of The Sun ( Live at Pompeii ).
Must be the most haunting track they ever did & unfortutatly now ever will.
Cant put it into words, other than " perfection ".

Closely followed my another huge favorite.

Genesis...............The Fountain of Salmacis ( studio live in 1972 ).
Genesis how they should be...........
Peter Gabrial at the helm with his trademark flute & Steve Hackett sitting down.

Finally ( for now ).............

Emerson Lake & Palmer.

Not really my bag to be honest ( just too way out there ).
But for Prog, they really had it all.
A huge gong / Classical music played on a Hammond / Synth EA / Moog / yeh they had it all.

So come on..........please post up your Prog Rock :tup:

·
20th Century Schizoid Man
101 Posts
What about Van der Graaf Generator?
Peter Hammills voice, Jaxon playing 2 sax's together, Bantons custom organs and Evans drumming. Hammill has released 30 solo albums and VDGG are still going strong.
Another major Radiohead influence. Try this one.

·
20th Century Schizoid Man
101 Posts
Doesn't count. Black Lace never did a 10 minute song. (It just felt like it)

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
Not rare but ... ahh Stacia

Good old Hawkwind..
The band that were being intervied on a San Francisco radio station denying all rumors of drug taking and saying that they were shoucked at the suggestion, while lemmy was being interrogated at the canadian border after being fornd in posession of a 'Substantial' quantity of speed...:lol::lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Been feeling old of late, and this is'nt fucking helping any !!!

'Back Street Love', Curved Air........brilliant, oh, Sonia Kristina:p goth band needs to do a version of that !!

'Split 2' , Groundhogs....Now thats a REAL song, Tony TS McFee, best guitarist in the world, saw them in 72/73, however seen recent footage and its shit, time to give it up Tony.

ELP is great, saw them at Wembley in the day, but they lost the plot towards the end.

Genesis....yep, only real Genesis is with Peter, but Phil done well on those first 2 albums as singer, again, lost the plot.

Silver Machine, Hawkwind.....friggin' fantastic, saw them on tour that year.

It was all good then, my fav's were: ELP, Groundhogs, Pink Floyd, Stray, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, although couldnt stand YES (but had all the Wakeman albums) or Tull.
I play this stuff from time to time and my wife (25 years younger then me) hates it. She says it musical wanking, showing off, and Rick Wakeman said very much the same in a recent interview.
I'm really into music so have not been like many folk who never embraced anything after that time. However, those were exciting times and never to repeated.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
My missus just hates ELP; good enough reason to crank it up on the stereo. What heady days the 70s were. I used to travel all over of a weekend to catch bands. Regularly remember coming home in the minibus at 1 in the morning with my ears ringing -probably why I'm have mutton now.

Leon Russell, Mad Dogs & Englishmen tour, Atomic Rooster, King Crimson, Blodwyn Pig, Mountain, Quintessence, Flock, Spirit, Grand Funk Railroad, Tull, Free. Well I'm straying out of prog rock a bit here but it was 'my generation'.

These days I'm starting to sound just like my old dad did in the seventies, when he used to rant on at the OGWT - "bloody hell, what a racket/are they males or females/you can't hear what they're singing about" etc etc. Just as I can't relate to (generally) crappy modern music. What an old fart I am.

Thanks for the memories guys!

·
Stay cool, admit nothing
1,836 Posts
The spoddy kids at school, the ones with dandruff and slip ons, used to like Yes. Is that Rick Wakeman's band?

Don't get it myself. :shake: Won't be dancing or whistling along to this. :roll:

Anyway, 8:30 mins of prog rock heaven. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.