Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Russ Hancox cars

Hi, Above is a picture of the ex russ hancox vauxhall victor fb wagon which i have dedicated a seperate thread to, being my all time favourite custom car,

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/history-archive/vauxhall-victor-fb-wagon-ahw360b-history-70312

i believe that he sold that to build a low, red oxide 1951 plymouth suburban (also very nicely detailed).

So, heres a thread for Russ, a guy that ive never met, so dont know, but, in my eyes has a great talent for building my favourite style of custom (ie understated and subtle).

That victor was the car that got me into old vauxhalls in the first place. and, the plymouth...... A very unusual choice for a custom, which i reckon is Russ's ace card when it comes to that car.:tup:
cheers.paul.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It certainly is mate, he sure knows how to put together a good looking subtle custom. i keep telling my step son 'all you need for a good looking car is to, slam it and add a nice set of wheels'.
This is where in my opinion russ gets it just right, heres some more, including one of the inside and one of the engine bay

Has this been featured at all in classic american or american car world?
cheers. paul

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Does anyone know if this has been featured in the mags and does anyone know of any more that have been modified? i know of a pale blue one that was at the drayton manor show a couple of years ago, and gregg coddington (son of the late boyd) had one featured in a 1998 issue of street machine.
cheers.paul

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Hi, ive posted a thread about the ex russ hancox fb vauxhall victor wagon elsewhere, i believe that he sold that to build a low, red oxide 1951 plymouth suburban (also very nicely detailed), i know the car as ive seen it at various shows over the years, i also remember a gold n white one being featured in street machine around 1998 built by gregg coddington, (son of the late boyd).
Does anyone know if russ's car has been featured in any of the magazines?
cheers.paul.
Can't recall seeing it featured Paul. Probably see him on Saturday i'll ask.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Hi, ive posted a thread about the ex russ hancox fb vauxhall victor wagon elsewhere, i believe that he sold that to build a low, red oxide 1951 plymouth suburban (also very nicely detailed), i know the car as ive seen it at various shows over the years, i also remember a gold n white one being featured in street machine around 1998 built by gregg coddington, (son of the late boyd).
Does anyone know if russ's car has been featured in any of the magazines?
cheers.paul.
Paul, had a word with Russ
He said the Plymouths never been featured. Rough spec with bad memory as follows :
Chassis cut and Z'ed, front & rear ends are narrowed Jaguar. Engine is 355 Chevy with Edelbrock performer package . apparently 3:5:1 gearing makes a breeze of continental driving with all day low 14's on the track.

Russ would tell you all about it himself but he's visiting the dark side at the moment :shock::giggle: ...................

PS: The picture doesn't do the colour justice, it's a stunner :tup:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I dont think id paint the plymouth either, looks cool as it is. Has russ built anythin else cos i love his less is more approach? So, whens the bus due to be done then goat? I suppose it'll run american racing mags too eh, or empi 5 spokes? Definetly another one to look out for!!
Can you keep us posted on the bus please mate.
cheers paul.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Love the Plymouth, some of my friends in the VW scene know Russ and there is often talk of that car, it's always parked in the Slough swapmeet car park. and Palm green/sand green is my favorite colour for a split bus, i restored the outer body of this 57 below which belonged to my late friend Ben...

Paint was finished in satin as he would have liked.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Re: Russ hancox 51 plymouth suburban

In the feature of Russ,s fb wagon in custom car, it mentioned he was running around in an old fiat twin cam powered fb wagon before the green one and that he was building a pro street ford consul mk2 too, does anyone have any pics of them?
Ive also found this picture of his wifes low pinto powered ford 100E prefect in a pale green colour and this matching vespa moped fitted with a tunnelled cadilac tail light from an old 1996 issue of custom car magazine, again, very subtle.

Heres a picture of the 100E (BELOW) a few years later 2006 i think, when it was owned by someone else, i wonder if this is still about? Do you own it and what does it look like now?

In my opinion, A very tallented car builder with a good eye for detail!!!

cheers. paul.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts

Also, in the feature of Russ,s fb wagon in custom car, it mentioned he was building a mk2 consul too, does anyone have any pics of that?
I also seem to remember a picture of his wifes low pinto powered 100e prefect in a pale green colour and a matching vespa moped fitted with a tunnelled cadilac tail light in an old custom car magazine.

cheers. paul.
Hi Paul.

If it was the 2 door Consul I believe he parted it out :S

Did take one or two more pictures of the Russ-bus but it was gone and fitted up before I had chance to take any more.
It was at wheels day, did you get chance to check it out ?

Tim G, Your mates Bus looked just the job. Dig the roof light !!!

·
Registered
491 Posts

he was building a mk2 consul too, does anyone have any pics of that?

cheers. paul.
It may never have been finished, but I do have pics of it :D. Unfortunately now packed away in an unidentified brown cardboard box, probably not to see the light of day for a few months as we are packing to move house.

Russ is not only very talented, but a very nice bloke as well.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)

It may never have been finished, but I do have pics of it :D. Unfortunately now packed away in an unidentified brown cardboard box, probably not to see the light of day for a few months as we are packing to move house.

Russ is not only very talented, but a very nice bloke as well.
Cheers for that mate, im hoping he's at billing this year as id like to meet up with him and ask about his old victor and plymouth projects.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts