Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

461 - 480 of 492 Posts

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #461 · (Edited)
hi robert, are 2 of the inlet ports siamesed? i wondered if those 2 should get larger bore inlet piping to allow for them feeding 2 cylinders each?
neil.
even worse Neil ,that are all siamesed ! like so ..

O.......O......O......O......O......O ......CYLINDER INLETS
.... O......O...............O......O ............MANIFOLD INLETS.

and yes that does suggest no.s 2 and 5 get more .

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
i am really stuck for a name for the new design , so if anyone is struck by inspiration do pipe up and let me know .

here's a last picture that may help..

regards
robert
Oooh you are awful :oops:

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #469 ·
forgive me father for i have sinned, it has been ten days since my last confessional.

no probs my son , have a beer !

well ...that went better than i have expected .

so the story so far , the manifold welding went ok ish , it turned out the plate had some sort of coating on it , and it was a bit of a mess until we floppy wheeled the hell out of it ,and redid the black manky welds ,unfortunately during this process my friends welder ....

went a bit belly up .. it overloaded,and tripped its cuttout , then after a cool down , it would not spark properly and sounded very disturbed , bit like a petrol engine with a v rich missfire , so if anyone knows about tigs please do chime in .

luckily , we could borrow another tig from next door , and got it all done .

next day i went for a nice thames walk ..

and watched moto gp/foyles war .

back to work , i realised my throttle body was a mm too wide on the bolt spacing , so a bit of creative drilling got that on , just ..

you may notice that gopping big hole on the side where the idle valve would go , since i don't have one (nissan primera/largo).... i quickly made a plate for it ..

also measured the throttle pot ..

that says 1300 ohms closed , and 2050 ohms open , across the two outer terminals .

Now it seems appropriate to start dragging out my lpg stuff ...

pressure reducer/vapouriser..

the small 42 litre doughnut tank ,missing its solenoid ,

this may just squeak into the spare wheel slot , with a bit of persuasion,its 200mm deep , and the slot is 190mm....

bit of electronics i can play with that control mixture for me ..

with this stepper controlled flow valve ..

now onto the mixer question .

i have two very different designs of mixer , one is a normal venturi one with an insert like this ...

the gas comes out of those slots you can just see , if you squint.

the other one is like this ..

then has one of those plastic inserts put on it like so..

i have used them both on the past , but on different engines , so i am not sure which is best, obviously a lot of thought has gone into the plastic insert one , and i can see how a flow of air , going round the edge of that plastic ring, would curve in and create a good pull on the horizontal holes .....hmmm...food for thought.

oh ,also i have a 36mm 38mm and 42mm ring , so it would give me a calibratable orifice too.

lastly , not sure if you remember , but that plate for the inlet , had a groove machined in it on one side , so i knew to weld the pipes on that side so that groove would not line up with a water way....

er...

yup i completely forgot in the welding excitement , so out with the jb weld..

typical !

regards
robert

·
Registered
685 Posts
We have all been there, I make stupid mistakes from being gung ho and forgetting stuff. Waiting to see if your tree of life works !!

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts

that says 1300 ohms closed , and 2050 ohms open , across the two outer terminals .
o_O Which just proves, as we've known all along, that you inhabit a whole alternative world of wizardry that the rest of us mere mortals know nothing about!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #472 ·
Budetta "tree of life ".... like it !

Bernard , oh shtop ! :)

good news .

i acquired the flange for the o/d box ,and a spare full input shaft ...

so if the welded on sleeve breaks free , i can *** in the whole shaft ,and use that.

also been painting the dash a bit ..

rub down and one more coat to do .

oh , also got the inlet on the car ..

enough bonnet clearance ..

and ditto the distributor drive ..

onwards.

regards
robert.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #474 ·
Had a good day today, i accidentally shut the bonnet completely , so that gave me a chance to check clearance..

ooodles of room .nice.

next i tackled a boring job that had to be done , this is the water take off from the bottom hose that feeds the heater/vapouriser/turbo. its a very difficult job to get the pipe on the hose with the rad in but i stubborned it with a bit of hand laceration..

pipe off and marked up ..

little bit of pipeski make up ..

and blobbed on and painted..

spent a happy half hour inserting that , and then fitted it to the car. oh ..wait..

After that i thought i would check the temp switch for the rad , i had two a cooler one and warmer one , so wopped them in the sauce pan of water hotness , and waited for it to switch as the water boiled , but , stuff me it didn't work !

the hotter one did ,but that's too hot , this engine should run 78c to 86c ,apparently ,according to the handbook , so i searched ebay for a low one and found an 88c on ,one for 6.75 , so that's on its way .So pleased i checked that faulty fan switch .

nextfully , i started on the intercooler to inlet connection . i found a nice rubber section that fitted nicely,

there it is with the mixer ring in.

one thing i am concerned about with the car is it should be refined ,smooth ,and sensitive to the throttle, so i was particularly happy my rubber section was ribbed..

next i found another rubber bit ..

which was just right for the twisty path it needed to follow , it connects to this ally pipe..

and lines up nicely with the mixer ,or it would if supported ,but in the photo its just resting.

and that's it for another day , don't be a stranger .

regards
robert ;)

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #477 · (Edited)
Well! would you believe it ,

i was in mid house move at christmas time , but then a deed related problem occured , and i am still stuck in limbo 6 months later ,waiting for the halifax legal dept to get on ith it ..anyrdup , i put the two good r90 lpg gas regulators in a box , and stored it at a friends garage , and stuff me , i cannot find it ...............!

My only turbo type r90 , lost .

so i have another r90 , that i can take to pieces check out , and then weld a fitting on the back for the turbo pressure balance .but ,basically ,frustrating.

in other news , the plastic insert mixer(36mm insert) is on the welded manifold which is now on the car in design mode ..

which, with this big rubber addition is now named,

"the squid ".

there's the picture of it again .

regards
robert

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I feel your pain about losing things. As I've been hurredly assembling stuff I've been buying Stainless nuts & bolts as I go. Just after assembling the rear suspension and diff links using the aforementioned newly purchased SS loveliness I decided to have a play with the indicator warning LED's, so found the box marked 'LED's' and lo and behold - no LED's at all, but instead a huge bag of shiny SS fixings labelled 'Rear suspension and links' that I'd bought about 18 months ago............

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yes, I agree. Don't you just hate it when you are 100% sure that you know where something is...

... and then it isn't.

461 - 480 of 492 Posts