Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

481 - 492 of 492 Posts

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #481 ·
Thanks my fellow compatriots,

i did have a good system ,where everything was on shelves in the greenhouse , it looked chaotic but i found stuff easily , now its all stacked in different locations , and i was in such a rush before christmas i have no idea where it all is until i go and search .

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #482 ·
i managed to pop a couple of hours into the old girl today ...oh..wait , that sounds wrong .

what i meant was i worked on the car .

Now , the r90 vapouriser normally has a back like this ..

there is a huge rubber diaphragm behind it , and that hole makes sure the pressure on one side is balanced by atmospheric pressure on other .then when the mixer ring crated a slight vacuum the diaphragm moves to open the gas flow valve .

all well and good when not using boost , but , with boost in the inlet , the diaphragm would move towards the back plate , and shut off the valve .

so , with a turbo version you seal the back plate , and have a pipe from boost to the stub mounted in that hole ,or , you would if you had not lost your one and only turbo type r90 !

so i made one. i welded a stamp sized bit of metal in the rectangular hole under the mounting flange , and put a threaded fitting in the hole like so..

this went well and i managed not to warp the lid or "dish" ,as veronica calls it .

then made a bracket out of stainless plate ..

this serves 2 puposes ,one is to support the reducer , the other is to remind me of how blunt all my drills are .

on the reducer ..

fits in the wing like so ..

and reducer in place ..

i may make a support strut ,there seems a lack of stiffness in the inner wing area , but i think this is just age .

regards
robert.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I never comment on anything but... Just in awe of this entire project! I am looking at buying a 1946 Chrysler Windsor that is in such good original condition, I feel turbocharging and injecting the flat 6, (which is a very strong engine, not like the chocolate flathead Ford V8...) but of course it's siamese port, so a whole load of extra fun, so the LPG route is interesting for that reason. The later 265 Spitfire Mopar flat heads are pretty good and swap right in. Back to the cave now for another 5 years.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #484 ·
Well that's bloody nice of you V6 , thank you for those kind words :) :)

Well i only went and got a bit more done today in the 23c hot sunshine .

firstly i fitted the inlet for the tank ..

pretty straightforwards , with the flap on its all gone ..

an interesting thing to note about the flap , it has a very clever over centre spring on it so it stays open , or shut , nice .

oh... something else of interest is , the car was originally elephant grey , and you can see the flap is now gold ,but under it is the grey , so at some point i think my car was gold ....isn't that weeeiiirrddd !?

next ,now i was onto a sweat soaked roll , fitting the reserve tank .

this beam needed straightening ..

so i gave it some herculean blows with the big long handled sledge hammer ..molnierrree ....and it decided to go straight ,like a newbie from wormwood scrubs.

it may not look it, but it is now straight .

next on the agenda , was the inner boot floor bracing strut ..

that ^^^^ poxy bit of metal , was a right palava to get off , it was about a foot in under the floor , and i could only cut one side , then try to lever it down and cut the other side ,don't know what its made of but i went through 2.5 s/s cutting thin discs .

anyrdUP , i could now pop in the tank ,and cut the hole for the lid ..

and fitted ..sort of ...

snuggy !

the other 90 litre tank , will sit at the back of the boot up against the seat back , and so i will have a 132 litres -20% total fuel capacity.

so then came in for lunch , and in the afternoon put the final layer on my rubbed down dash bits ..

so a hot time in the morning then a cooler time in the afternoon ,but all striving to towards a common goal :)

regards
robert

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #485 ·
Not a kerlossal amount done today,

i drilled the tank mounting holes ,and big pipe/vent hole, and that all worked out dead in line which was a nice surprise ..

i used a bit of silicone for the vent pipe , this is be sure if any gas should ever leak it will exit outside the car .

i then had a right palava trying to bend 8mm copper pipe into the contortion it needed to screw onto the valve ..

turned out my used 8mm pipe was swollen to 8.000001mm , and this meant a lot of work to get the olive on and the fitting on ,but in the end ,after standing like a question mark for ages i got er dun..

phewf! ... i definitely don't want to do that again .

i spent a fair while under the car , and , without it jacked up , i was uncomfortably close to the spider web city of dread ,bear in mind i have found 5 seperate false widow spiders under there when doing the brakes , and got bitten 3 times,by one of the little bastards ,and those bites are not at all funny ,so i was not enjoying my little test of courage under there today .

But hey , you shouldn't have joined up if you cant take a joke .:)

tomorrow i crawl under again for the 6mm pipe to the front of the car .

regards
robert

·
Premium Member
14,400 Posts
sounds like you need to jet wash the underside of the whole car mate to evict those squatters.
neil.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #488 ·
Ugh Budetta , that's even worse !

SPEAKING OF WHICH ....

i only went and got the other pipe , the one to the engine , fitted ,and yes it took an hour and half just to get the fitting to screw into the multi valve , i even had to use a tiny thin file to rebuild the thread on it ,but hey ho, its in now .

And yes i did get bitten lol , not sure by what, but a 2" white circle with a red dot in the middle came up on my shoulder blade this afternoon , bit of germolene and its now red so i think i am ok .

i went along underneath zipping up the gas pipe , and also i found a bit of 5 core flex , so zipped that in as well , that's my wires for the flow cutoff solenoid , and the fuel level sender .

all that gubbins ended up in the engine bay , so i connected the 2nd cutoff/filter to the pipe , and then that to the reducer ,, so that's all the feed done. And the wires ready to connect to the leonardo gizmo.

noice.

here's a truly momentous piccy of the tank with its lid on ..

RE the leonardo , it needs a 0-5v signal from the throttle pot , but , since i have an ecu, i have no 5v supply , so i found a little 3 quid box on ebay that takes 12v and moves it down to 5v, so i can connect that across the throttle pot and have a 0-5v signal.

lastly i was curious about that gold colour on the filler flap , so i cleaned it back to see what colour the car used to be,and you can also see the original elephant grey too..

i don't think i will be using either of those colours , but it's all history , and not to be sneered at ! ;)

regards
robert

·
Premium Member
14,400 Posts
is that grey 'elephant' or 'battleship'? it's hard to make out 😁
neil.

·
Premium Member
14,400 Posts
now i thought you were kidding calling it that, but it's actually a factory colour?
neil.

481 - 492 of 492 Posts