Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I got up early and went to Southampton with a recovery truck.
This is what I brought home

Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

Dave. The recovery driver, thought I was off my trolley and suggested that he should drop me to the Dr's on the way home. I didn't accept this offer since we all know that Hotrodding is a disease for which there is no cure
Tire Wheel Building Automotive tire Motor vehicle

It really is horrible (are we still allowed to call an ugly car an abortion?).
But I have a plan. Sort of.

First problem was to get it in my garage, I drove the Ruby out and parked it on the road temporarily, hoping a warden wouldn't come, then realised that the Ugly Duckling wouldn't fit up the short end of the garage. If I rebuild it in the long end of the garage, the Ruby would be landlocked.
So I removed the bumpers and a few other bits and finally just squeezed it in.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire

Hood Automotive tire Knee Thigh Glove

So it's in, but to get from one side of garage to the other I have to walk through the car!
When considering whether to buy this I checked the wheelbase and saw that it was about 8" shorter than a Model B. I didn't actually bother to find out if it would fit in my garage!!!
Although I think that if you worried about potential problems too much you'd never get involved, this justifies my "jump in at the deep end" approach!
After an early start I was intending to just rest up ready for work today, but you know how it is, once I had it in the garage I couldn't resist and ripped out the disgusting interior and various other bit's, until the dustbin was overflowing.

Wood Road surface Brick Composite material Wire fencing

No wonder kitcars got that reputation, here you can see bits of hardboard were used to seal the floor!

Automotive tire Wood Finger Tire Gas

This surely belonged in an old kitchen, not a car!

Wood Gas Metal Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system

Reveals the Mk3 Cortina bits this kit was based on.
Wood Gas Brick Automotive wheel system Building material

So I'm guessing this is a Mk3 Cortina fuel tank.

Wood Automotive lighting Hood Red Rectangle

Some muck for me to clean out.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive tire

It has steel floors, which are solid although lots of surface rust. Only found one small hole so far.

It came to me without an engine or box, but I just happen to have a 2 0 Zetec which I've already RWD'd.

I'm looking for a cheap 32 roadster body, in case anyone knows of one.

Planning to go down the rebody route, I know I'll need to show 2 pics of original car , 2 of bare chassis, 2 of completed car, all with number plates visible.
So do you reckon there 2 will suffice, before I rip off the old bodywork?

Automotive parking light Tire Grille Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

As always, grateful for your advice/ criticism/mockery

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
View attachment 637117

It has steel floors, which are solid although lots of surface rust. Only found one small hole so far.

It came to me without an engine or box, but I just happen to have a 2 0 Zetec which I've already RWD'd.

I'm looking for a cheap 32 roadster body, in case anyone knows of one.

Planning to go down the rebody route, I know I'll need to show 2 pics of original car , 2 of bare chassis, 2 of completed car, all with number plates visible.

View attachment 637118

View attachment 637119

As always, grateful for your advice/ criticism/mockery

·
Registered
231 Posts
is it worth changing the engine now, and get that on the log book before you start the rebody. Just in case dvla have a brainfart and want to inspect the car 'to make sure it exists'.
Could just be paperwork, or you could plonk the engine in on whatever mounts hold it there?

·
Registered
Loxley Lozenge
343 Posts
It's looking a bit 'down at heel' at the moment, but we all know that you will make it into something goooood.
Advice? Yes, don't put a mazda rx8 gearbox on that Zetec, they're shite!
Good luck!

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,515 Posts
is it worth changing the engine now, and get that on the log book before you start the rebody. Just in case dvla have a brainfart and want to inspect the car 'to make sure it exists'.
Could just be paperwork, or you could plonk the engine in on whatever mounts hold it there?

100% good idea ! There is nothing in their rules to say you can't do any engine swap wec BUT I'm sure they will find some if you do it first :(

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Save any Mk3 Cortina bits and put them on ebay, some of that shit goes for stupid money.

AFAIK MK 3/4/5 fuel tanks are the same if you need a new one.

·
Premium Member
15,112 Posts
Save any Mk3 Cortina bits and put them on ebay, some of that shit goes for stupid money.
agreed and that looks to be an early mk3 steering wheel which in good condition will come in that stupid money category along with the column surrounds and switchgear.
neil.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Planning to go down the rebody route, I know I'll need to show 2 pics of original car , 2 of bare chassis, 2 of completed car, all with number ates visible.

Taxirod – Obviously Kapri is the expert on all things DVLA…

But I’d say your two ‘before’ photos are perfect.

As a rebody is effectively the 8-point rule, I would photo the rolling chassis rather than the bare chassis.
(To show the suspension and axles that allow you to keep the car’s “P” reg. identity.)

Just in case, I’d also have a photo just before the old body shell is removed.

This was the one I had with the original body shell still in place.

Then this was the rolling chassis photo for the DVLA with all my points on show.
(And enough clues to show it was the one under the donor body shell.)

Finally, here was my DVLA rebody photo, again trying to keep all the original parts on show.
(I was able to get my V5C updated before I’d finished sorting out the bodywork or fitted the bonnet.)

Also have ‘before’ and ‘after’ chassis photos if you are planning to paint it.

Someone on here (sorry I forget who, but will try to look it up tonight) restored the original chassis.

But the DVLA saw the shiny paint in the photo and said it must be a new chassis.
(Actually, I think Kapri might have been involved in sorting that one out.)

Hope that helps and good luck, Paul. :)

PS
For a ’32 body, try Tribute Automotive.

Whilst they sell ‘new’ bodies, they might have something in their ‘left overs’ pile you could use.
(As I know you can work with fibreglass.)

This is an old photo and I don’t know if they have anything now.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I'm overwhelmed with so many replies, thank you all!

Austin Harley - Good idea, thats what I did with all my previous rebodies, then all the numbers match first.

Kobi Dave - Ive already got an RX8 gearbox on the Zetec, and I ve heard lots of good reports and very few bad ones, so I'm gonna stick with it and find out my own opinion. You can always say "I told you so" if I end up hating it....

Budetta - Thank you, the chassis is like a ladder chassis but connected with sheet steel, this almost frightened me off, I too will be interested to see what its like.

Kapri - Thanks for that, its already a 2.0 Ford on the V5, so just an engine number change I think.
I'm about to send off V5 to get it in my name, I could put engine number change and request for Historic all at the same time, unless anyone has other advice.

MyGasser and Matt Black - I was thinking along the same lines, the totally out of place bumpers are already on ebay!

Paul L - some helpful info there, I will need to de-rust and paint chassis, so I will follow through on that. Your rebody looks great by the way.
I have a price list for Tribute right here:
32 Roadster £1700
32 RPU £700

Have to think about that, I reckon I'm gonna be hacking the body to fit my Ugly chassis, so leaning towards the cheaper option, also RPU makes it easier to get around the shorter wheelbase than the 32.

Splitty - yes I do get bored without a project to work on!

Once again, thank you all.

ps why on my second post do the pictures come up as "attachment" rather than showing up as pictures?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,515 Posts
Don't chnage the engine number UNTIL you have it in Historic. DVLA seem to be making it up as they go along ( yet again) at the mo so don't give them too many thngs to think about at once ;)

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Kev, I was wondering whether that might be the case, thank you.

·
Registered
Loxley Lozenge
343 Posts
Kobi Dave - Ive already got an RX8 gearbox on the Zetec, and I ve heard lots of good reports and very few bad ones, so I'm gonna stick with it and find out my own opinion. You can always say "I told you so" if I end up hating it....
I hope that you don't end up hating your rx8 box, you might have the good one!
I might say told you so :D :D :D :D

I'd be interested to see how you do (or did)your clutch and starter motor.
I did mine cable clutch. Shaped a block to replicate the Ford clutch arm pivot and got it welded to the bell housing. Then I mowed a big hole opposite where the arm popped out and it worked just like the Ford one. Can't remember if I had to extend the arm or not.
Starter was a pain too, needed a bit of cut and shut.

Both of mine did the same. Quite noisy in neutral with gear 'chatter'. Put it in gear and it went quiet. Both jumped out of 5th on the overrun. Stock mazda gear lever.

Anyway, good luck with yours, and keep us posted how it goes

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I pulled off the running boards, which were just thin bits of ally, screwed to "outriggers" made of wood
Road surface Wood Brickwork Asphalt Automotive tire

Wood Brick Stone wall Facade Landscape

I've never stripped a car and topped up my wood store before!

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought I'd give the wooden dashboard a very gentle tug to see how it's been attached....

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car Wood Hood

!!!!!!
I'm constantly shocked by the poor quality, makes it a fairly easy strip down though

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Recently I had a big tidy up in our tiny garden, all ready to enjoy sitting outside in the nice weather.

Oh dear......

Tire Wheel Bicycle Automotive tire Bicycle tire

Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Wood

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As it all unravels I now see how it was constructed (thrown together).
Steel chassis/monocoque with a skin of ally, and fibreglass wings.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Normally a strip down results in a pile of parts. This just resulted in a pile of junk!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts