Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the cars/threads be "rotated" as a new reply comes on each thread, or will it remain static, whereby you gotta look through all of the pics to see if anyones added any more to the thread?? You know, sort of newest reply goes to the top??

cheers...Nige

ps great idea by the way :tup:

·
My name is Martin
2,621 Posts
Gotta say, I only stumbled on this layout the other day. Bloody top effort from the Landlord, well done :tup:

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Nige, the coloured 'NEON' outine changes, its usually Orage, when posts are added, ie theres something there you've not seen it goes green. It's all clever stuff you know!! :tup:

Russ.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Oh come on? Are so so out of touch?

Orage is the new teal, which was the new taupe which might have been any friggin colour you like,..:tup:
Glad me n you are on the same page Al. :D Its just the same as Puple - the new magnolia. The old colours are just so last year!!

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
:pmsl::pmsl::pmsl::pmsl::incheek:

I MUST ADMIT PEOPLE I AM STRUGGLING A BIT WITH THE LAYOUT, WHEN WE ORIGINALY SORTED OUT THE ORDER OF THE CARDS THEY WERE BY VEHICLE NAME...

PROBLEM, NOT ALL VEHICLES HAVE NAMES.

THEN IF I REMEMBER RIGHTLY WE WENT FOR SURNAMES OF THE BUILDER/OWNER...

PROBLEM, WE DONT ALWAYS KNOW THE OWNER/BUILDERS NAME, ANOTHER PROBLEM HERE IS KNOWING EXACTLY WHO BUILT THE VEHICLE IN QUESTION, IE WE MAY KNOW THAT SAY BOB WELSTED OWNED MOULIN ROUGE, BUT I/WE/YOU MAY NOT KNOW WHO ACTUALLY BUILT IT, I CERTAINLY DONT KNOW WHO BUILT IT AND IF BOB DID BUILD IT, DID HE DO IT ALL?, BIT OF AN IFFY AREA THIS PART OF THE CARD I THINK.

SO BASICALLY & I THINK I HAVE THIS RIGHT CARDS HAVE BEEN LISTED NOW IN ORDER OF OWNERS FIRST NAME & IF THE OWNERS NAME IS UNKNOWN IT IS DOWN AS UNNAMED NEAR THE END, WHICH IS OK IF THE ENQUIRING PERSON KNOWS THE OWNER (ANOTHER PROBLEM HERE IS ORIGIONAL OWNER OR CURRENT??) I FEAR HERE THOUGH THAT MANY PEOPLE WOULD WANT TO SEARCH BY VEHICLE NAME (IF IT HAS ONE) & IS IT JUST ME OR IS IT THE VEHICLES WITH NAMES THAT MOST PEOPLE WOULD BE INCLINED TO REMEMBER, SORRY IF IM RUNNIN' ON !

THERE ARE SO MANY WAYS OF DOING THIS I DONT REALLY KNOW THE ANSWER, I AM SHOWING THIS TO THE WORLD AS ANY SUGGESTIONS CAN ONLY HELP, THATS MY OPINION, I AGREE BETTER EASIER SEARCHING WOULD BE NICE, BUT BY WHAT METHOD?, ITS NOT EASY, & OF COURSE CAN IT BE DONE?, WHICH WOULD OF COURSE BE DOWN TO ROADRUNNER.

RODS & SODS IS IMPROVING ALL THE TIME AND CAN ONLY GET BETTER.

WE THE MODS ARE ADDING INFORMATION AS WE GET IT/GET TIME WHICH WILL OF COURSE HELP IN THE LONG RUN BUT SIMPLY CANNOT SIT DOWN AND START GOING THROUGH MAGAZINES LOOKING FOR INFORMATION WE HAVE NOT YET GLEENED, IT WILL BE ENTERED AS WE GET IT/TIME ALLOWS.

ANY COMMENTS/IDEAS ON THIS APPRECIATED.

I DECLARE THIS MINEFIELD NOW OPEN!

MOPAR...

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
If it was going to be easy some other poor buggers would have done the leg work. You and Russ have compiled a huge starting point.

The seeds have been sown. It all takes time to come good. It'll get there.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Ok
I spoke to Si at some length about this, any ideas welcome, but it is difficult. The only sure fire way is to list it by car for the majority ie:- Bedford CF, however even that had its pit falls. Take Pip's 'Belch Beer' you'd have to list that as truck, Ray's Milk float? same thing. So we list with the cars name, not all have one, then theres the argument, do we list it by Current owner? again a lot of un known's, similar situation with the builder. Then theres the option of year built, again not enough clarity. You could sort by Rod, Custom and Van etc. The one that presents the best results is the name, which is why we decided that that was the way to go.

There may be other options as the forum unfolds, lets see how it builds then perhaps it may reveal another direction we can go. Dont forget Mark, it's only a week old, I think theres a lot of improvements that can be made as suggestions and time rolls on but as a starting point I think we have the best option. As stated in the intro, some info may be oou of sinc, but I think that thats all part of the reason of the thread, to gather the facts. That said i'm open to suggestions, fire away chaps. Im just please at this stage that people appear to be enjoying it, and its great to see the threads growing.

Russ. :tup:

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
Ok
I spoke to Si at some length about this, any ideas welcome, but it is difficult. The only sure fire way is to list it by car for the majority ie:- Bedford CF, however even that had its pit falls. Take Pip's 'Belch Beer' you'd have to list that as truck, Ray's Milk float? same thing. So we list with the cars name, not all have one, then theres the argument, do we list it by Current owner? again a lot of un known's, similar situation with the builder. Then theres the option of year built, again not enough clarity. You could sort by Rod, Custom and Van etc. The one that presents the best results is the name, which is why we decided that that was the way to go.

There may be other options as the forum unfolds, lets see how it builds then perhaps it may reveal another direction we can go. Dont forget Mark, it's only a week old, I think theres a lot of improvements that can be made as suggestions and time rolls on but as a starting point I think we have the best option. As stated in the intro, some info may be oou of sinc, but I think that thats all part of the reason of the thread, to gather the facts. That said i'm open to suggestions, fire away chaps. Im just please at this stage that people appear to be enjoying it, and its great to see the threads growing.

Russ. :tup:
yup, here here russ...

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
Hi Mark/Russ,

I think by name is favourite, in the past when people have asked "Anyone know where......." "What happened to........" it always seems to be by the name of the car (if it had one).

I don't know if it is possible or if the work involved would be too much, but i have a big spreadsheet type of thing for my cars and motorbikes that i can search by Make, Model, Colour, CC, year, date of liability, chassis number, etc etc (my wife set it all up i just fill in the boxes with the info). Maybe you could set up a couple of different search criteria, Car name, Make of car, builder etc, just a thought.

:tup: Good work by the way.

Cheers.

Russ.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have just had a look and think it works well as is, but god do I feel old now realising that I have seen 99% of them in the flesh at various shows back in the day lol, you guys keep up the good works

Mick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts