Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya
I've got a v6 essex engine with a 83c thermostat in it. What I need help with is the thermostat fan switch, at what temp should the fan come on & at what temp should it go back off ?

Cheers
Craig

·
I'm a grown up drunk!
2,662 Posts
With that stat you'll need a switch that turns the fans on around 95degrees C and turns off at around 85degrees C,

It needs to switch off higher than your 83degrees stat or once it first cuts in it'll never shut off until you shut the motor off,
this way when you're cruising at speed on the open road the airflow through the rad should hold the temp in the very low 80s and only cut back in at 95 when in traffic or heavy load.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
This is something I have to consider at some later point in the build, ie when its ready for the road. Mine's a different engine but generally, where is the optimum position for the switch, top or bottom of rad (assuming its a wet sensor and not a clip-on). In my case there's not much scope at the bottom tank except possibly underneath. Sorry to seem to be hijacking but it is relevant to this post I think. Dave

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hiya Dave

I've cut my top hose & put in a pipe with a m22 boss to take a fan switch, hope that helps mate & Thanks chevy2

Cheers
Craig

·
Stroker
5,565 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hiya Jim

I've just taken one of them off, I couldn't stop it leaking from the sodding pipe (only a small drip but it was there) apart from that it worked fine, but I've been told that after time the bulb on the end can snap off, so keep ya eye on it

Cheers
Craig

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
This is something I have to consider at some later point in the build, ie when its ready for the road. Mine's a different engine but generally, where is the optimum position for the switch, top or bottom of rad (assuming its a wet sensor and not a clip-on). In my case there's not much scope at the bottom tank except possibly underneath. Sorry to seem to be hijacking but it is relevant to this post I think. Dave
Looks like its the top hose or top tank then.

·
Stroker
5,565 Posts
The mr gasket rad probe on the left is a great way to avoid interfering with hoses.
I just took it off as I thought it was shot. It wasn't, but it came in at 85 which was just too close to normal operating temp.
I'd also drilled two holes in stat to 'avoid' air lock!? Pointless, and just slowed down warm up as it flowed quite a bit straight off into rad etc.

Love the ability to adjust temp switch

No leaks from top hose as it has a double layer rubber bit to connect to fancy stainless hose. Put silicone goop on too.

:tup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The one on the right is the same as the one I've just took off & it worked spot on, I do like the brass probe one though, I've not seen one of those before

Cheers
Craig

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ideal position for the temp sensor is the top hose. I use one of the inline switches now. But I did used to use a kenlowe stat with the phial in the top hose and the capillary clamped onto the top rad connection. I used Fernox LSX as the sealer and it never leaked.

As said before! If you have an 83 degree stat you should set the fans to cut in at 90-95 and cut out a few degree's above the thermostat set point. This should give you full water flow at all times with the fans cutting in and out to control overall temps while in normal traffic. You can pretty much use any point on the engine in still air as a temp reference to control your fans, but you will need some special temperature measuring equipment to set it up right. I would recommend top hose as the best reference though as this is the point closest to the engine where the water comes out for cooling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts