Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
No mention of the Tens of Thousands of people who presently use the site for Drag Racing, car boot sales etc etc!
The land will be worth an absolute fortune now the owners aren't going to turn that down :sniff:

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
This or a similar thing was doing the rounds a couple of years ago I seem to remember.

would be a shame to loose for me, the best track in the country.

Sid.

·
Rekindled Dream
2,064 Posts
I'd have thought the organisers at Shakespeare County Raceway would have been informed before now. Has anyone spoken to them?

·
richard rawlplug
8,161 Posts
from what i was told its down to the ministry land already being sold to developers..they then went next door and bagged shakey..

as sid said..its my prefered track also..

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,345 Posts
They were trying for a 'green' village / town before and it didn't happen. HOWEVER , teh reason it didn't happen was not because they simply changed their minds , they were fought every step of the way but those who DIDN'T want it to happen

Speak to Shakey management , find out what they are proposing to do and work with / support them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Crap news.

Looks like its one of five options being considered by Stratford District council to satisfy their need for more homes by 2031

Hopefully they'll go with one of the other options though. Converting the Shakey site definitely seems like one of the weaker options for many reasons that have nothing to do with the dragstrip, so hopefully they'll choose another site to build a soul-less town on

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It has been stopped before and there are other options and as has been the case before the locals may still be against this happening.

·
Premium Member
13,121 Posts
Coincidentally I was telling Liam about this only yesterday. It was in the local papers here.

On the positive side ? - It IS only a proposal at this stage. A proposed 'Eco Town' just down the road never happened... On the other hand,
most Local Gov's are under pressure to build homes ... Stratford & surrounding areas are quite desirable (good 'Central' location, etc), - and
a site such as Long Marston (as a 'self contained' land area - not too many NIMBYs - plus locals might prefer no Car Boots & Drag Racing !)

Overall ..? More likely than not - IF the economy / housing market continues to improve. Bad news for Drag Racing indeed. :tdown:

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.