Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think up a 'Top 10', scour the internet for a couple of pictures and then write a bit of uninformed guff and collect your money.

http://cars.uk.msn.com/News/car_news_article.aspx?cp-documentid=147705940

1910: Cadillac Model 30
Yes, we all know about Ford's Model T, but the 1910 Cadillac Model 30 was the first mass produced car in the world with a closed body.

-Put a picture alongside of a 1909 Model 30, which wasn't a closed body car

1953: Chevrolet Corvette
The car that started a dynasty, the '53 Corvette combined eye-watering style with heaps of new technology - discs brakes, fibreglass body and fuel injection.

- Fuel Injected six anyone?

1955: Chevrolet Bel Air
The 1950s were often referred to as the golden era of automotive styling in the US and the '55 Bel Air is the benchmark car.

-When are journalists going to learn that they weren't ALL called Bel-Air's

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air
The 1957 Chevy is arguable the most recognisable classic Chevrolet - in fact it's one of the most recognisable 50s American cars full stop. Just look at those fins! The two-tone paint! The chrome!

-And lets have a picture of a 1956 TWO DOOR POST next to this.

1964: Pontiac GTO
The Pontiac GTO signifies the birth of the American muscle car. Drop a big V8 into a mid-sized car and you see the start of a trend that continues right through to today. And how cool was the GTO?

-And put a picture of a 1970 GTO next to this

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yep, those msn lists are just so rubbish. I gave up looking at them as you just get wound up. Or wonder at their complete lack of knowledge,

·
lone wolf
366 Posts
how can he get so much wrong in one article? f---ing amazing

·
lone wolf
366 Posts
Wasn't the Triumph TR5 the first mass produced car with fuel injection?
nope, the TR5 was produced from 1967 until 1968, the first Corvette to have fuel injection was 1957, ten years earlier.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Hello. A columnist's job is to get people talking about his (or hers) column. And that is what is happening here. If this person had got it all right then you guys wouldn't be discusing it on here. Yeah. I agree the person who wrote this stuff probably doesn't know the difference between a 57 and a 56. But then it's not important to them. What is important is the colomn gets talked about. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Pretty sure Mercedes was the first to put FI into production - 1952 or '53.
Bosch fuel injection fitted to the Mercedes 300SL in 1955.

Of course we are talking about petrol injection here, diesels had injection since the 20's.

·
lone wolf
366 Posts
Pretty sure Mercedes was the first to put FI into production - 1952 or '53.
wasn't saying GM were the first, only that they did it before Triumph. i had a feeling Merc were the first but was unsure of the dates so thanks for that.

andy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts