Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's time to sort myself out.
I'm a 49 yr old 16 1\2 stone depressive and I don't like it.

I have no get up n go lately, can't even be arsed with my zeff :shake:

So I've taken a few steps..

Step 1.. Got myself a new job.. :tup:

Step 2.. Joined a gym !! :eek:

So hopefully less stress and less weight in the near future will lead to feeling better about myself ( christ, I sound like a woman)

Plus a trip to Wheelsday will give me some new enthusiasm for the motor, hopefully.

;)

·
Stroker
5,470 Posts
Go for it!! You've taken the first BIG step :tup:

Reactions: alleykat

·
Premium Member
14,421 Posts
i found carrying too much weight made me feel lethargic and although i still want to lose another stone i feel better now. i'm more interested in getting on with stiff, be it in the garage or diy indoors (i took out a wall i've been meaning to get on with at the weekend) so i say go for it you won't regret it.
neil.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Good on you! I hope that both the job change and exercise help lift your depression.

My job was about to tip me over the edge last year - best thing I did was leaving, with the support of my wife, without another one to go to. It's worked out beautifully, got a great job with a great team of people, I'm a different man according to my missus :)

Now I've just got to master that gym thing again, for the 50th time!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Make sure you don't eat more than you burn off, I changed my diet about 18 months ago, no more processed food, lots of fish and veggies which was totally alien to me and I've lost just under 2 stone in theat time and I still eat well. The slower you lose weight the easier it is to keep it off so don't be too obsessive about how much you lose and how quickly. I can't speak for the depression as i've never suffered but good luck to you in your quest.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers bud, I imagine I've eaten much more bbq food than I've burnt off this weekend. :roll:

I'm back to the gym tomorrow... Another hour or so :S

I'm currently doing a couple of hours every other day... Ish

I have to admit "headwise" I'm feeling better :tup:

·
Stroker
5,470 Posts
Quite bizarrely I recently read Jezzer Clarksons newspaper column and he says he's dropped a couple of stone over the last few months in Viet Nam or whatever. He ate very well and drunk the beer but such was the quality and method of delivery it paid off and now his double breasted pin stripe jacket is tentlike :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back again,
12 months on and I'm a fat coont
New job has had a slight reverse effect, as in driving a tipper, I never get out and move about.
17 stone 6 :shock: heaviest I've ever been.
I really need to do this now so she's banned me from eating cow or sheep,
No bread, that'll be difficult, so tortilla wraps for lunch, more veggies and less bb, less brr, less beer, there i said it :doh:
Been out on my bike a bit this weekend, once I'd got all the rags, old hoodies and filler / paint dust off.
So a weigh in every Monday now then once I've posted up news you can abuse and rip the piss.
Thanking you :lol:

·
Registered
1952 Chevrolet 3100
386 Posts
good luck with it. im the heaviest ive ever been and struggling to get motivated. its a very hard thing to to.

·
Premium Member
14,421 Posts
good luck with it mate :tup:
don't try to change it all at once or you'll get pissed off with it and give up/cheat ;)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
good luck with it mate :tup:
don't try to change it all at once or you'll get pissed off with it and give up/cheat ;)
I won't change it all at once Neil, imagine the hell :eek:
Tonight wifeys doing me some Spanish fish with something called "new potatoes"
I'm guessing they're not chips.

I dropped 10kg in a year just by cutting out sugar in drinks.
I don't really have sugar Kev, only in my beer :lol: A tad on my cereal, Pepsi max drinks have now replaced cans of beer in the garage

·
Premium Member
14,421 Posts
new potatoes are the nuts mate, more so with butter melted over them. dawn does what she calls 'crushed potatoes'. she boils them in their skins then puts them in a baking dish squashes them with the palm of her hand which splits the skins open. then she puts a few knobs of butter on them and some grated cheese and in the oven they go for 10-15 minutes, mmmmm..........
oh, sorry this is for a diet isn't it :lol:
neil.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
No chance of me giving up the beer, but I'm keeping it to weekends. I never use lifts or escalators, walk every lunchtime and evening and do 30 min on the exercise bike before tea - works really well as I feel less hungry and you need something that really gets the heart rate up every day. Always eaten plenty of veg and fruit (crisps are still a vice). Winning the battle, bit by bit. 60's not that far off and I think it gets more important the older you get

·
Stroker
5,470 Posts
new potatoes are the nuts mate, more so with butter melted over them. dawn does what she calls 'crushed potatoes'. she boils them in their skins then puts them in a baking dish squashes them with the palm of her hand which splits the skins open. then she puts a few knobs of butter on them and some grated cheese and in the oven they go for 10-15 minutes, mmmmm..........
oh, sorry this is for a diet isn't it :lol:
neil.
That sounds utterly delightful :)

I piled on a few kilos. Drinking more San Miguel as opposed to two real ales down the local.
I wanna trim up for me 60th in July to placate extended family that I aint a washed up old scrote just yet.
Each waking day is a farce trying to flick the switch. :(

Reactions: alleykat

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That sounds utterly delightful :)

I piled on a few kilos. Drinking more San Miguel as opposed to two real ales down the local.
I wanna trim up for me 60th in July to placate extended family that I aint a washed up old scrote just yet.
Each waking day is a farce trying to flick the switch. :(
60 Jim ? :shock:
Them tatties do sound good though, I put on 3 lbs just reading it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts