Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some may remember from the dark side, at the 2008 HRD's we decided to build a HRD Special because Mark Bull had a £70 Morris Minor and I had a £200 SBC I bought years ago when living in Guernsey. Mark's neighbour Fireman Dave has been infected with the Hotrod bug by Mark and said he'd be in also.

The original idea sort of fell over when I opened the small block to have a look and it needed machining so I tapped up my mate in LA and we started looking on Craigslist until we turned up some goodies

Goodies list so far:
1. Engine, the ad said: 1969 Pro built LT1 350 Chevy small block by Joe Mondello: 4 bolt main, 12:5 to 1 compression, steal crank, 660 roller cam, 9 grand rev kit, Pete Jackson gear drive, titanium push rods, 2.05 valves, angle plugs, stainless steal valves, port and polished, blue printed and balanced, minus roller rockers, has intake manifold, water pump, Milodon oil pan, and flexplate. Radical motor built in 1978 that was not run very much. Needs going through like any motor that has been sitting. Reduced again for AS IS quick sale. First $1600 takes it.
Well the first $1,500 took it and we had a motor, got a deal on a set of Probe shaft rockers from Flow Tech Induction of Bangshift.com which took the total to $2,025.

2. Trans - a brake equipped Powerglide with a BM 4,500 stall converter, trans blanket and a Pro Ratchet shifter - Cost - $800

3. I then got a little carried anyway with my summit order and bought all the fuel system, ali rad, electric water pump, Proform carb main body to tune up our $50 double pumper and various other bits I can't remember.

Unfortunately these all sat on the docks in LA for 3 months as everyone stopped shipping cars so we had no chance of getting out for the 2009 HRD so I went shopping again, this time it was a Autofab race cars 4 link kit with QA1 ends, track locator and shock mount kit for $600

It's all in the country now and we're getting back into it so I thought it's time to get a thread going. We chopped and gutted the shell last year and we've just mocked up the front and rear axles on the chassis jig. The motor is on the stand and is apart but I'll bring some pics on those soon.

In the mean time here's a reminder of the chop.

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
Hopefully Wayne will be able to get on with mine after Red Victor (funds allowing of course) so you never know, may even have a heads up at the drags!!!!!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully Wayne will be able to get on with mine after Red Victor (funds allowing of course) so you never know, may even have a heads up at the drags!!!!!
I thought you were selling the V10 and bits but it's obviously still still on then, still with the Viper motor?

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
I saw your chop thread over on the HAMB, and was wondering what happened to the Minor. Is it going to be made into a fibreglass mould with a flip front then?

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We were waiting on parts plus a little bit of distraction as well.

Nah it wll be steel shell apart from the wings and front panel, should be light enough. We were originally talking about 2,700 lbs but have been told by a few that 2,200 - 2,300 will be more realistic which is cool with us as that's a couple of tenths for free.

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
BBF, th400, tunnel ram, serious cam and high comp heads. Should make about 500 hp.

Viper had to go, lost me job and used the money to keep us a float :-(

·
Paint it or Lose it
737 Posts
Hey Gotzy hows it going??

ive got some glass rear wings up for grabs as im selling my minor ive got another project to build and i lost heart with the moggy so thats up for grabs aswell

laters

Harley

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry about your job Fozwanger but it does sound like a challenge being thrown down there, BBF vs SBC, both shooting for 500 hp....

You will when they happen Paul

Hey Harley, shame to here that mate. Mark's already got glass wings sorted. Let me know when your next over this way and you can pop up for a look.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not much to see but here's the motor and trans we're using

As you can see all the internals of the block has been painted but after 30 years it's starting to peel off and will have to be removed. Interestingly the oil returns are all untouched so i was definitely painted to seal the casting to prevent any casting sand or crap making it's way into the motor. I'm still unecided but I don't think i'll repaint the inside once cleaned but I will do some work on the oil paths.

Boring jobs this week, gutting the mock up block in the background to make it lighter to move around.....

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mock up

Well we've got the Viva front suspension and rear axle mounted in the chassis jig so it was time to lower in the mock up motor and trans to see if we good use the headers we've got. The headers are 1 3/4" Hooker Super Comps for a 55 chevy and look like they can be used. Next stage is to work out the chassis design

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When pulling down the mock up motor I was thinking about the differences between it and the race motor so I thought I'd do a few comparison shots of the various components to show the differences and for something to do...

Solid roller lifter vs standard hydraulic lifter

Stamped steel rocker arms vs shaft mount roller rockers

Pop up piston for hi compression vs stock flattop

Electric water pump vs stock water pump

Proform main carb body for rebuilding the Holley Double Pumper

Ported exhaust port vs stock exhaust port

Ported intake runners by Joe Mondello

Stock intake runners

Shapped chamber with angled plugs and 2.05"/1.60" valves

Stock chambers with 1.94"/1.50"

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
Awesome stuff. Those headers look the business, and so does the engine. I will be following this thread keenly :tup:

·
Huge Member!
525 Posts
Glide...

Good to see my old box coming to good use...
Keep the up dates coming...youve got my attention...:smoke:

·
Registered
12,495 Posts
I like the chop - its subtle :tup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts