Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Who promised you tomorrow
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested to know how others manage to get their exhaust wrap really tight and any tips on getting those metal ties nice and tight as well . Rodster (Bill) has been nice enough to sort out some 2" wrap for me and I want to make a good job of it.

I wrapped some headers for my Moggy and they looked shithouse and became really loose in places. I also had issues with the S/S ties as I couldn't seem to get them very tight. Is there any other type of clamp/tie that I could use?

I have heard of soaking the wrap beforehand to make it stretchy, apparently as it dries it gets tighter. Mythbuster moment, true or false?

Any suggestions folks?

Cheers:tup:

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've seen the wrap soaked in water before it's been wrapped on the pipes on one of the US shows. I can see the logic in that and was thinking of doing the same. It can't harm to give it a try.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yep!
Soak the wrap in water and stretch it as you put it on. It stays in place really well when its dried and then heated.

·
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right O then i'll let it soak thoroughly beforehand. Any tips on ties or clamps to use? I used some from Demon Tweeks and they didn't seem to tighten very well.

Ta Dan

·
Premium Member
14,431 Posts
i use tig welding rods and just twist it tight with pliers and keep the twist out of sight. it's a fine line between 'tight' and 'bugger i snapped the wire' so be careful. looks neat though and holds the wrap tight. oh and use 1" wrap on headers as it goes round corners easier.

·
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
After searching images it seems most either use the S/S ties or normal hose clamps. I'm not inpressed with the S/S ties TBH and everyday hoses clamps look a little naff.

I'm sure I've seen it safety wired on in the past and it looking pretty nifty. I just found these on US EBay, anyone know if they are available here? Looks like they'd do a better job than the S/S ones and a nice low profile to them. Should hold quite tight and re-useable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts