Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
spoke to a bloke briefly and he told me of an additive that mixes with alky that makes it visible when its burns.
trouble is he wasn't sure what it was called, but did say its used by historic Morgan three wheeler racers and also considered for use when/if our dailies ever had to run on alky... bring it on!..

anyone heard of it or can give me any tips regarding this without retarding the ignition?.

Sid.

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,741 Posts
Sid... Try mailing jimburb on here. He runs a Morgan 3 wheeler and has been invoved with them for a very long time, including the racers.

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sid... Try mailing jimburb on here. He runs a Morgan 3 wheeler and has been invoved with them for a very long time, including the racers.
Cheers mate ill try him.

Sid.

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sid its, its called Nitro, makes the car go quicker too.......
Very good Phil... :lol:

anyone got any spare?. :tup:

Sid.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi the only thing That any of the racers use is methanol which is closely related to acetone /cellulose thinners. I'm not sure what colour flame it burns with but maybe google would help. I do know that an engine needs lots of it otherwise pistons melt instantly , a racer friend drills out main jets with a 1/8 drill & gets 6 miles to the gallon from 1100 ccs hope you find something to help. Just remembered that Indy cars used to run on it & they may have had an additive good luck Jon

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi the only thing That any of the racers use is methanol which is closely related to acetone /cellulose thinners. I'm not sure what colour flame it burns with but maybe google would help. I do know that an engine needs lots of it otherwise pistons melt instantly , a racer friend drills out main jets with a 1/8 drill & gets 6 miles to the gallon from 1100 ccs hope you find something to help. Just remembered that Indy cars used to run on it & they may have had an additive good luck Jon
Thanks for the reply Jon, ill need to jog this fellas memory.
Alky burns with a colourless flame.
yes our car has "oversize jets"... it does 4 gallons to the mile!...3.8.

heard of adding acetone to alky but never tried it.

Sid.

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Try good old Petrol/methanol mix, it burns hotter than Methanol. You allready know about retarding the timming.
that's the trouble I've got, don't want to overheat the motor.
does retarding the timing make an alky motor run hotter?.

thanks all.

Sid.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
How about this
"The richer fuel/air mixture needed by methanol also means that a given volume of gasoline will take you about 70% farther than the same tank full of M85; most automakers have at least partially compensated for this by putting a larger fuel tank in their M85 vehicles. And the reason that methanol is most commonly used in a mixture with 15% gasoline is to correct for two disadvantages of pure methanol. One is that a methanol flame is colorless, so gasoline is added to give the flame some color so rescuers can tell if a fire is present should an M85 vehicle get into a crash."
Taken from here
Methanol (M85)
:tup:

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Now im a google king :tdown: but you may of been right about the nail varnish remover

With the addition of flame coloring additives, methanol when burned shows a definite flame color. It is appropriate to use flame coloring metals (e.g., those of the first and second main group and of the 3rd and 9th secondary group of the Periodic Table of Elements). Salts of these substances can be used with preference. Especially advantageous are organic compounds of the substances, especially acetates.

Especially preferred are compounds with alkali or alkaline earth metals. To protect the catalyst, especially the catalyst of the reforming unit of the fuel cell system, a very low concentration of the additive is desirable, (e.g., less than 10 ppm, while a high concentration, preferably greater than 1000 ppm, provides for a clear flame coloration). The flame coloring metal components of compounds with metals of the above main groups and sub-groups are substantially harmless to catalysts. While chlorides, for example, adversely affect the catalyst, at least in high concentration ranges around 1000 ppm, compounds with organically bound metals are much less harmful.

It appears that especially sodium acetate as an additive in methanol produces virtually no catalyst damaging action, while the flame coloring properties are well pronounced. Advantageously, the additive can be used in a range of 1-1000 ppm without observing any appreciable damage.

Besides sodium acetate, sodium chloride also appears as a desirable additive. The allowable range of concentration, however, is less than in the organic compound. The use of cobalt acetate is also advantageous.

One preferred flame coloring additive consists of sodium acetate. Another preferred flame coloring additive consists of sodium chloride. Another preferred flame coloring additive consists of a mixture of sodium chloride and/or organically bound elements of the first and second main group and of the third and ninth secondary group, especially of acetates of these elements.

The advantage of the flame colorant additive of the present invention is that, despite the sensitivity of the catalysts in the fuel cell system, especially those of the reforming catalyst, the hydrogen-containing fuel can be provided with a flame colorant additive in normal operation as well.
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6521364.html

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats Great Vince thanks for that...

ill be experimenting with some lead-free parts cleaner then..:incheek:

"whats the worst that can happen?".... piss the new neighbor's right off! ... :lol:

Sid.

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,741 Posts
I remember seeing a film clip of a crew member on fire on TV. You couldn't see any flame but the poor bugger was alight. Luckily others were switched on and put him out. it was bloody scarey.

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
FUCK ME! Im even more confused now!!..

not about the fuel mixture but how the hell did you write that lot while i wrote my 4 lines?......

Sid.

Now im a google king :tdown: but you may of been right about the nail varnish remover

With the addition of flame coloring additives, methanol when burned shows a definite flame color. It is appropriate to use flame coloring metals (e.g., those of the first and second main group and of the 3rd and 9th secondary group of the Periodic Table of Elements). Salts of these substances can be used with preference. Especially advantageous are organic compounds of the substances, especially acetates.

Especially preferred are compounds with alkali or alkaline earth metals. To protect the catalyst, especially the catalyst of the reforming unit of the fuel cell system, a very low concentration of the additive is desirable, (e.g., less than 10 ppm, while a high concentration, preferably greater than 1000 ppm, provides for a clear flame coloration). The flame coloring metal components of compounds with metals of the above main groups and sub-groups are substantially harmless to catalysts. While chlorides, for example, adversely affect the catalyst, at least in high concentration ranges around 1000 ppm, compounds with organically bound metals are much less harmful.

It appears that especially sodium acetate as an additive in methanol produces virtually no catalyst damaging action, while the flame coloring properties are well pronounced. Advantageously, the additive can be used in a range of 1-1000 ppm without observing any appreciable damage.

Besides sodium acetate, sodium chloride also appears as a desirable additive. The allowable range of concentration, however, is less than in the organic compound. The use of cobalt acetate is also advantageous.

One preferred flame coloring additive consists of sodium acetate. Another preferred flame coloring additive consists of sodium chloride. Another preferred flame coloring additive consists of a mixture of sodium chloride and/or organically bound elements of the first and second main group and of the third and ninth secondary group, especially of acetates of these elements.

The advantage of the flame colorant additive of the present invention is that, despite the sensitivity of the catalysts in the fuel cell system, especially those of the reforming catalyst, the hydrogen-containing fuel can be provided with a flame colorant additive in normal operation as well.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Copy n paste mate lol :tup:

Im no scientist but i think there is 2 types of nail varnish remover ......... 1 being acetone free and by my means of deduction that would mean the other would be acetone and at 1-1000 ppm means a bottle may last a few runs

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I remember seeing a film clip of a crew member on fire on TV. You couldn't see any flame but the poor bugger was alight. Luckily others were switched on and put him out. it was bloody scarey.
yes very!... if my goggles are melting its time to get out!...

Sid

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think you can just add some Isopropyl alcohol to it, to make it burn yellow.

That's rubbing alcohol like they use in hospitals, and that seems to make up most brake cleaners now, although I doubt if the brake cleaner is pure.

I think the Isopropyl alcohol has an octane rating of around 105, but I could be wrong.

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Copy n paste mate lol :tup:

Im no scientist but i think there is 2 types of nail varnish remover ......... 1 being acetone free and by my means of deduction that would mean the other would be acetone and at 1-1000 ppm means a bottle may last a few runs
thats what i thought...

ill get some and give it a try, me mate uses it in work for removing sealer etc.

thanks again .

Sid.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts