Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Box 500
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly sorry I have asked this question a while back and forgot the answer.

I need to adjust the kickdown band on my torqueflight auto box.
The manual says torque it to 72 inch pounds and then slacken off 2 turns.
My problem is I can't find any local hire firms that have a inch pound wrench.
I have a foot pound wrench. I think that 72 inch pounds equates to 6 foot pounds but most ft pound wrenches don't go as low as 6 ft pound and even if they did they are very big and clumsy to set such a delicate setting.
If I put a foot long bar on the adjuster and pull a set of fishing scales to 6 pound would this work and would it be accurate?

any help appreciated

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
Know what your saying mate try going to n.m
with the greatest of respect, surely if it wont go low enough,isnt converting it is somewhat pointless:beuj::twisted::beuj:

·
Banned
4,274 Posts
with the greatest of respect, surely if it wont go low enough,isnt converting it is somewhat pointless:beuj::twisted::beuj:
Why? surely if your having trouble with a wrench that don't go that low you convert to match a wrench that does,

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Firstly sorry I have asked this question a while back and forgot the answer.

I need to adjust the kickdown band on my torqueflight auto box.
The manual says torque it to 72 inch pounds and then slacken off 2 turns.
My problem is I can't find any local hire firms that have a inch pound wrench.
I have a foot pound wrench. I think that 72 inch pounds equates to 6 foot pounds but most ft pound wrenches don't go as low as 6 ft pound and even if they did they are very big and clumsy to set such a delicate setting.
If I put a foot long bar on the adjuster and pull a set of fishing scales to 6 pound would this work and would it be accurate?

any help appreciated
if you use a bar 1 ft long and apply a 6lb pull on the end wont that multiply it by 12, 12 x 6 = 72lbft ??
surely a 6in bar given a pull of 1 lb on the end will give 6lbft ??????? :beuj:

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
Why? surely if your having trouble with a wrench that don't go that low you convert to match a wrench that does,[/QUOT
:oops:, kinda missed that bit:beuj::shake: apologies:oops:

·
Box 500
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paul, thanks for the offer.
Morecubes, thanks for your kind offer, subject to the planes flying again I am away for two weeks on thursday but will probably take you up on your offer when I come back.

Chris32, for curosity I would still be interested to know the definative calculation for using the spring and bar method. Any engineers out there to solve this for us?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,055 Posts
if you use a bar 1 ft long and apply a 6lb pull on the end wont that multiply it by 12, 12 x 6 = 72lbft ??
surely a 6in bar given a pull of 1 lb on the end will give 6lbft ??????? :beuj:
Nope cos you are measuring in lbs per foot, to get it to multiply by 12 you'd have to be measuring in lbs per inch ( or something like that ).
The poundage applied can be meaured anywhere and is calculated into the figure ie tightening torque is 72 lbs per foot or 142 lbs per 6 inches etc etc It's the poundage applied at the set length rather than the actual turning torque .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts