Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I've just bought a tot rod that I am aiming to restore for my daughter. I've never done anything like this before, although I'm quite handy and usually a quick learner... Maybe this sounds quite naive, but I was planning on running it with a restricted gd 160, which would just entail attaching a rear sprocket and engine.... But ...the rear axle is built in to a 'Tecumseh transmission' which I have no clue about... I was wondering if I can either do-away with that or would I be able to adapt or use it properly? Ant help would be much appreciated ....thank you

·
Registered
662 Posts
if its the transaxle with forward gears and reverse i'd try to use it. granted the gokart axle sprocket and clutch is easier but the gearbox would be far more useful! reverse gear will make it far more useable and you could lock it in a lower gear to restrict max speed

probably need a vertical crank engine (fly-mo) and could still use kart clutch and sprockets to drop gearing

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, yeah I was told it's a transaxle with 2 gears ( forward and reverse ), but the gear stick doesn't seem to do anything, and it's got like a wheel on top that just spins. It looks like it should have some sort of belt on that to make it turn.... ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After having a look this morning It seems to have more than 2 gears but I've managed to get the top wheels turning with the actual wheels, and have found a petrol lawn mower that is vertical crank. Do I now just attach a pulley wheel to the bottom of crank, and run a belt to both?

·
Registered
137 Posts
built a tot rod for the kids using a ride on mower vertical crank brigs with 3 speed with reverse .clutch was a slipping v belt from the mower also added a disc brake that was cable operated from a moped?was small .doing it this way has taught my kids to drive (youngest is now 22)so when it came to full size they had no probs.

·
Registered
662 Posts
the wheel on top is the power input side, on mini tractors there's a belt drive from engine to the top horizontal pulley... not sure where clutch fits in or just takes tension off belt to allow slipping. i'd have a google on the transmission and trace it to ride on mowers from there...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts