Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been told today by somebody in the motor trade that because our works sprinter van has a towbar fitted ,under new regs we will need to fit a tacho, this dosen't sound right to me,as far as i was aware as long as we don,t exceed 3.5 tonne gross then there is no need for a tacho,or has it changed,can anybody clear this up.
If its true how do we all stand towing caravans to rod runs or race cars to the strip,i think a tacho on the dash of a rods gonna spoil things a bit
KEV

·
Registered
433 Posts
i think thats a fact.the guy that took my 46 ford to austria turned up in a new discovery with a large tachograph on the dash,got speaking and he said because the overall weight was over 3 and a half tonnes he had to have one fitted.and because it was a buisness.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
We have been told today by somebody in the motor trade that because our works sprinter van has a towbar fitted ,under new regs we will need to fit a tacho, this dosen't sound right to me,as far as i was aware as long as we don,t exceed 3.5 tonne gross then there is no need for a tacho,or has it changed,can anybody clear this up.
If its true how do we all stand towing caravans to rod runs or race cars to the strip,i think a tacho on the dash of a rods gonna spoil things a bit
KEV
ive been told if its for trade purposes a tacho is required

·
Fruit & Nut Case
2,100 Posts
Is this another reason most of the trucks used by race teams have 'Not for hire or reward' on the doors ?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Is this another reason most of the trucks used by race teams have 'Not for hire or reward' on the doors ?
probably unfortunately though if they win anything even a horse rider winning a rosette is classed as reward and i do know someone who has recently been done on this one

·
Registered
90 Posts
It does seem to be for hire and reward as in this piece here.
Vans with a gross train weight (GTW) of more than 3.5 tonnes, which are used for hire or reward, are subject to tachograph rules. This includes the 3.5-tonne panel vans, 4x4s and pickups that tow plant, cement mixers or generators.

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
not for hire and reward is put there probebly because they have no operators liscense, by law on lorrys you need an o liscense, orange your own goods, blue other peoples goods in uk, green other peoples goods anywere,

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like its a bit of a grey area,the link mick 72 put up is dated feb 2008 and they seem a bit unclear,am i right in thinking gross train weight is the tow vehicle trailer and whats on the trailer combined,i really should know the answer as a few years back boss sent me to pick up a dumper ,got pulled and got done on gross train weight ,which led into tacho territory ,ie not having one, leading on to failing to produce a tacho, leading on to failing to keep records etc etc you get the picture
I think i got shafted for a total of 8 offences ,the boss got 11 i think cos he sent me to do the job even though he was not in the van,and he should have known the laws of this land
I know ignorence of the law is no defence,but if we knew the laws inside out we would all be barristers or something earning ££££££££££ insted of doing the shitty jobs we do for a pittance

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bit i forgot to put across and don't get is ,just becuase there is a tow bar fitted,how can they possibly fine for not having a tacho fitted you if you are not towing anything at the time and you are not over loaded,

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,097 Posts
When I took my A truck for SVA IF I'd fitted a tow bar I would have had to declare Gross Vehicle Train even if not towing . IE the presumption is because you have the hitch you must be aiming to tow something , at some stage and so must be fully equipped ( with tacho ) to do so.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
The towbar means you have the ability to tow the trailer which will take you over the 3.5 tons GTW, firmly in Tacho territory. Because this is a company van it is used in connection with the owner's business so the tacho is going to be a must if you don't want to get a fine. If you don't use the towbar just take off the ball and then you lose the ability to tow the trialer and are within the 3.5 tons GVW, so no tacho.
btw, this doesn't matter with private trailers, not used for business or caravans as they're not designed to carry a load.

·
Engine Room
952 Posts
Hi going of the techinical law bit slightly but something to consider going forward my mate got bumped from behind last year with his small trailer whilst going to the local tip not his fault the guy behind didn't see him in time and clipped him.

Cut a long story short the guy who bumped him his insurance got away with it on a technical bit, when my mate was asked by his insurance had his car been modified in any way he replied no as you do the other guys insurance requested a copy of the taped conversation (they can) when he took out the policy and as he had said no to the question BOTH insurance companys said he lied and stuffed him :wanker:

It was only an old car but it just shows you how they share infomation :evil:

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
The bit i forgot to put across and don't get is ,just becuase there is a tow bar fitted,how can they possibly fine for not having a tacho fitted you if you are not towing anything at the time and you are not over loaded,
The vehicle is adapted to tow. Take the tow bar off your OK, with a tow bar on your gross train weight comes into effect, if thats over 3.5 tonne trouble is around the corner............ Dave.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats pretty scary story chevymad ,but unfortuanatly the way things are going with insurance companys most are willing to take your hard earned ,but looking for any get out when it comes to a claim. where will it end, think i might have to take my air freshner off the mirror as it did not come from the factory with it ,and it could be classed as a modification

·
Registered
872 Posts
Mate of our kid's got done. He was in works van towing a trailer, the trailer was used by two vehicles, and was plated to carry a certain weight (basically a slightly heavier digger when it's behind the lorry). He had a lighter digger on it, so wasn't overweight at all for the van, everything was within legal limits. But the offence was using the trailer that was plated to carry a higher weight, even though that weight wasn't on it. In the end they had to replate the trailer to a lower weight to make it legal behind the van.

What fuckin nonsense.... :tdown:

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All this stuff is starting to stink,all these storys of people just going about there daily jobs getting stiffed ,and most are doing there best to stay within the law,why are they not catching the lowlifes ,peado's,scumbags etc
Answer ........The working law abiding citizens are far easier targets and far more likely to cough up than the scrotes of this world, we are the easy targets

·
Registered
680 Posts
Its all bollox and made up by a load of :wanker: that know nothing about fuck all...ive just bought a new truck and to keep it under 3.5 ton its a single wheel flimsey alloy beavertail..why ? so i can put the big heavey things on it...common sense...i dont think so..oh and if i use my tacho i can tow a range rover on the trailer behind my emty truck ..very safe and legal...tossers

·
Registered
778 Posts
The tacho law as I understand it only applies if you are undertaking any journey or part there of with a trailer on the back , if it ain't there for any part of the journey you don't need a tacho regardless of whether you have a towbar fitted or not .

We used to take HGV tractor units to truck shows and didn't need to use a tacho as the work was not for hire or reward , even though the vehicles were plated for 44 tonne GTW.

I'd be amazed if running a Sprinter that could potentially pull a weight exceeding 3.5t underneath that weight attracted any sanction by the powers that be . Call VOSA , or even better email them , for clarification , they don't bite as hard when you ask as they do if they catch you ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts