Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a mine field. I have a SWB shogun and a Ifor Williams
four wheel braked trailer.

Q1 If I carry MY car on it do I need a tacho?

Q2 If I carry someone elses car do I need a tacho?

I know its a minefield just thought some one would have experienced this.................in some way

DC

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
No and no , your not making money out of it
Check your curb weight to make sure your all legal for that

·
Registered
700 Posts
As others have stated, No as long as you are not towing for a financial reward,

A gift is a good way arround things,

·
Registered
398 Posts
as keith said no.no as long as it is not used for hire or reward. and if you put a sticker on the side of the towing vehicle saying that you should be perfectly ok as long as you pased your test before a certain date and you are not over weight on the trailor, the vans at our works have tachos fitted but only use them if they are used to recover another paying job.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
funny you should say that derek i seen a pick up with a sticker like that the other day

mind if i ask another towing question , how do you work out the weight you are allowed to tow?

·
Registered
398 Posts
that about sums it all up andy its all that you need to know plus a bit thanks that should answer d.coups problem. all the best DEREK

·
Registered
147 Posts
funny you should say that derek i seen a pick up with a sticker like that the other day

mind if i ask another towing question , how do you work out the weight you are allowed to tow?
Depends on your license, if i remember correctly if you passed your test before 98 you can pretty much to what you like, but the weight of the laden trailer/caravan/sofa etc cannot exceed the unladen weight of the tow vehicle. If like me you passed it after 98 you are allowed a 3tonne total trailer and car weight with the same laded/unladen rule. I think:S

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No its UK 2005 SWB GVW2660 GTW 5660. So as I see it I can tow a tralier
empty or full as long as it dont weigh over 3000kg

Thanks for all Your input just clarifying things for when I get a tug

(Ta Russ..........ageism is not big or clever)

Passed My test in 1976
DC

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,411 Posts
B category only licences were issued after January 1997, with those you are restricted to a maximum gross plated weight (max weight of vehicle plus max weight of trailer) of 3500kgs plus the kerbweight of the tow vehicle must not be less than the plated max weight of the trailer.

Also, if you passed your test before January 1997 but have been disqualified from driving for a period of time AFTER January 1997, when you get your licence back it will be to the new post-1997 B category only restrictions.

I'm trying to produce an article on this to help clarify what folks can & can't do, but at the moment I have two govt leaflets that contradict each other.......

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
also be aware that if the trailer is rated at at rate higher than the vehicles rateing u can get a ticket..... ie if the tow vehicle can tow 2.7t and the trailer is rated at 3.5t

silly really as its like saying you are going to have something heavy....though probably ar'nt.

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,411 Posts
also be aware that if the trailer is rated at at rate higher than the vehicles rateing u can get a ticket..... ie if the tow vehicle can tow 2.7t and the trailer is rated at 3.5t

silly really as its like saying you are going to have something heavy....though probably ar'nt.
Thats the bit that I have conflicting information on. So far it appears that this is true for category "B" licence holders, but for "B+E" licence holders it is the actual weight rather than plated weight. I'm trying to get it clarified but so far its like running uphill through treacle.....

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts