Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking of using a mr2 turbo engine in my next car, does any one no much about them? realiabilaty, hp, etc i also need a rear wheel gearbox, supra perhaps, i would like to use bolt together parts for easy maintence, still might use 200sx nissan or mx 5 opinions please

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
good engines. for rear wheel gearbox, try the super seven kit gbuilders, they have adaptors to mt75 or t9 ford boxes. the mt75 sierra box holds up to loads of horsepower.
pascal

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks dutchrod, iv heard about the bellhousing for type 9 i think they sell them on 105 forum, but imo i thought the type9 may be on its limit

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
no problem stevie. but what is done alot lately here in sevens is using audi 1.8 turbo engines from audi TT and such. good power, lightweight engine and easy to get more power out of them. check link for a good quality belhouse to fit to ford gearbox.
http://www.tigersportscars.nl/Bellhousings.htm
pascal

·
Stroker
5,458 Posts
Happy days

I ran an MR2 turbo for years and it was trouble free.
Went like stink, supposed to be LSD but would let go in the damp.
And apparently, if cam belt goes engine doesn't self destruct.
Sky's the limit for hp too.

·
Registered
149 Posts
only issues i've come across is rocker cover gaskets weeping oil onto exhaust,and check for death rattle from crank,around 2000-3000rpm especially if useing a 2nd hand motor,have rebuilt quite a few bottom ends.most were due to neglet and thrashings by boyed up mutent ninja max furios idiots.in stock form they run in quite an enclosed engine bay so i guess oil runs quite hot??

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Was the 32 roadster Sas Hunter built MR2 powered ? (He builds kik ass bikes nowadays),Bry

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was the 32 roadster Sas Hunter built MR2 powered ? (He builds kik ass bikes nowadays),Bry
yes it was, rear mounted, very diffrent to the normall 32s built by andy robinson i think, keep the imfo coming or pics if any body has any, isthe 4age
engine the same as mr2?

·
Registered
61 Posts
4age is getting bunged in a lot of Anglias at the mo. Front bowl Sump & about 160 ponies I think :tup:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Looking at putting one in my Estate, Neil at 105speed.com has been getting all the parts made so its just a straight bolt in job more or less, give him a try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts