Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After spending over 4 years building it, my first car project has finally got an MOT and is road legal. :cool:

It was supposed to be a simple kit car re-body, that turned into a complete nightmare of a build.

It is based on a standard Triumph Spitfire 1500 rolling chassis, keeping a full total of 14 DVLA points.

I then ended up with a Frankenstein inner structure bolted to the chassis.
( This was a home brew mix of modified Spitfire parts, modified kit parts & home made parts. )

The fibreglass body shell is then bonded to the inner structure and all the gaps between the two are bridged/sealed.
( Both the body shell and bonnet were also heavy modified from the original kit I was supplied. )

Then, for an added degree of difficulty, the car was build outside on my driveway. :roll:

However, I would also like to mention a few Rods 'n' Sods members for their help:
- Kapri - For his re-body advice, so the DVLA would update my V5C correctly.
- Rockin Woley - For his fibreglass tips and explanations.
- Russ6120 - For his hand painting guide, as that is then next big job.
- Garage Section - All the builders who share their work, which has been a real education & inspiration for me.

Anyway, I hope you like it, cheers, Paul. :)

Triumph Swordfish 1500

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Belated thanks for the nice comments. :cool:

I've been on the road for just over 5 weeks now and have driven just over 400 miles.
( Mainly due to spending a lot of time stuck in London traffic & avoiding the rain. :roll: )

Can't believe the hugely positive reaction the car gets whenever I am out it in. :cool:

After the MOT I was able to swap my "V" reg. over to a "C" reg. I'd previously bought.

I did think about buying an ageless plate, but figured 1965 was old enough to throw people off the scent.
( After all, how many people try to make their car look "just" 15 years older. ;) )

I've ordered a 70s style plate for the rear, yellow with raised black plastic letters, & another white stick on plate for the front.
( I couldn't order the rear until the V5C had been returned, so that is on its way. )

I will have to wait until 2020 before I can legally use "classic" black and white/silver plates.

Next job is to remove the lowering block I fitted to the rear, as I occasionally scrape the twin silencers. :(

Cheers, Paul. :)

PS
Here are a few more photos, from the beauty of St.Pancras to my local run down industrial estate.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
"I will have to wait until 2020 before I can legally use "classic" black and white/silver plates."

you sure about that :bigsmile:

black n silver plates have nothing to do with being historic , or thats how it has always been

the DVLA leaflet is also a bit confusing

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
West - Cheers.

Scottie - Thanks for the reply.

My donor was one of the later model Spitfires, with a first registered date in early April 1980.

So after re-reading the extract you printed, I would have to wait another year until 2021.

As April 2020 would only be for vehicles before 1st Jan.1980 and I would actually need before 1st Jan.1981.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick update...

With an MOT under my belt, I was able to change the registration number from the donor's 1980 V reg to a 1965 C reg.

As discussed above, I have to wait a few years before I can legally fit black and white/silver plates.

So I went for raised plastic digits on the back to at least give a hint of an older car.

With another stick on number plate at the front.

I've also removed the lowering block fitted under the rear spring, which has made a big improvement.

From 'slammed' at the back, where the tail pipes kept getting scraped on speed bumps / angled driveways...

To a much more level stance that looks more period (I hope).

I'll leave you with one more autumn photo.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
My neighbour started one similar but gave up, well done you for getting it finished off properly and looking so period, any plans to go 'shiny' ?

:tup: :tup:

Bernard

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
28Chevy - Thanks Bernard. :cool:

My plan is to rack up 1,000 miles to let the fibreglass / filler work settle / crack and then do the final body work preparation.
( Currently close to 600 miles, so getting there. )

Then I will be hand painting it British Racing Green with a Signal Yellow band around the bonnet nose/grille opening.

As this thread was a great inspiration for giving it a go.
http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/tech-features/hand-painting-car-98714

The fact that old racing cars didn't alway have high quality paint is also a big advantage.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts