Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at 50's American trucks what make/models are the smallest? Is the Chevy 3600 the biggest? 3100 next size down?

·
Mr Cadillac :-)
1,717 Posts
3100 is short bed, 3200 long bed on the mid fifties trucks. 3600/3800 are the heavy duty trucks with the heavier axles, 8 lug wheels etc

·
American Truck importer
11,742 Posts
dimensions-wise, all the short beds are virtually the same whether it's Chevy/GMC, Ford, IH or Dodge. Short beds are about 6 to 6 1/2 ft beds. Long beds can be from 7ft 5 to 8ft 1 and even 9ft for the 1 ton types.
A typical shortbed truck will be about 16ft overall length.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you have to go to a 40's truck to get something a bit smaller? What about a jailbar?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've not got any measurements, just I'm hoping to get an American truck but they look so big.

·
Registered
95 Posts
To make a comparison, my 48 Chevy 3100 is within a couple of inchs being the same as a 2004 Mercedes e class estate on the length and width.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok many thanks. That would be awesome nobody if he came this way :tup: I'm off to the Billing fun run at the end of the month so I'll probably get a good idea from there

·
Registered
24 Posts
A half-ton (3100) may just about fit into a standard sized garage (length wise anyway; you may need to lower it or let the airs in the tyres down if it's too tall!), but a three-quarter-ton (3600) will not fit into a garage!

·
Registered
90 Posts
ImageUploadedByAG Free1407008124.586938.jpg
Managed to fit mine in, it's a bloody tight squeeze getting out the door. I miss judged it and smashed the bloody mirror, let's just say the air turned blue around my house. Have to keep my eyes peeled at supernats for one.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
56 Posts

IH fits into a standard garage.
About 6 inches each side through the garage door opening, then a liitle more as you clear the door.
Lengthways, i have about 2 foot left over. Just stop short and push/pull him in to clear garage door sensor. I have a mark on the wall to indicate, bit geeky but saves a rear light cluster.
Height wise, he is lowered so goes in fine. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts