Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, as it says on the title I'm trying to sell a car, so stuck it on gum tree had the usual hassles and got some interest from a Craig Davidson apparently from France, here's the response:

i am always interested if the car has been looked after and is an "honest" example, i understand that it will never be the best made car, sadly that was BL not the designers. do you have a home phont number, i prefer to speak than type as i said befre. i use this website to price and bring cars over Couriers | Delivery Services | Cheap Courier Auction Site UK i am just waiting for a Morris Minor and a jewel of a MG Midget to arrive in next two weeks. how it works is, i talk to owners, ask questions that are important to me, as i am unable to come around and kick tyres and tutt alot. if i am then happy, i make patment via UK accounts then usualy ask that they hold the car until i can arrange a pick up which is about 2 weeks, then the car comes over and i do the paperwork for it to be exported. i also look here to see the status of the car https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/app/enquiry?execution=e1s2

What you think?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
We all worry about cars disappearing abroad.....but if the money is safe and moved to another account for safety then i dont see a problem. I sold a vitara to a guy who was taking it to cyprus and didn't want the mot or tax, but paid in cash.
I'm guessing he is a dealer selling to countries where old british tin is rare and worth a small fortune

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Any buyer that has to explain his buying method rather than saying "here is the cash, it's my problem now" is full of shit in my opinion. It's too easy for them to do a money recall (PayPal) or use a hijacked bank account. Same thing happens regardless, the bank gets its money back and you are out of a car and the cash. Even if you move the money around, should the account have been hijacked the bank will get its money back.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got that feeling it was strange, not the usual way for me to do things. Thanks for the replies, told him I'm not interested.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
not a lot different to what a lot of us do when buying from the states, unseen, bank transfer, hold until shipping arranged,etc,etc, just seams a bit long winded in justifying what he does, any way of checking him out ?

·
Nowheresville
3,049 Posts
I don't think he can retract the payment if electronically transferred to your account, but check with the bank. The HAMB is full of paranoid bullshit about all foreigners being out to con the seller but I've bought two cars from the States based on the sellers' descriptions and photos, and a little bit of research on their names.

Has he named the car, or just used a generic format - I've advertised a couple of my bikes on here and both times had a call from an unusual number, quoting an email address to send details, then I've had the following reply:

Hi,

Thank you for the swift reply, I am interested in your bike advert so
kindly write me with more information's about it. Below are my
questions:

1. What is the present condition?
2. What is your last selling price?

I will await your urgent response and do also send me more pictures if
available.

I will however be needing your city,posta code and state so that I can forward
it to my shipping agent here in the Dublin Ireland who will be coming
over there for the inspection and the pick up as soon as we finalize
the sale.

Regards,

martin.

It is difficult to know for sure but there are signs in the above that don't ring true - obviously with the "multiculturalisation" of the UK, and the texting generation, poor English spelling or grammar is no guarantee of Nigerian Royalty. I've also just sold a car to someone from Germany based on to-and-fro of emails, but he did actually arrive and pay me in cash - another potential problem I guess but the mainly fresh £50 notes looked OK and had bank receipts.

As long as you are careful, and are aware of potential problems, you can "proceed with caution" . . .

PS If he has others already on their way he might be able to give the sellers' contact details for references?

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I don't think he can retract the payment if electronically transferred to your account, but check with the bank.
He can't but the bank can if it wasn't his account to start with.

PS If he has others already on their way he might be able to give the sellers' contact details for references?
That is actually a very good suggestion. It helps to validate his claims.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
He can't but the bank can if it wasn't his account to start with.

That is actually a very good suggestion. It helps to validate his claims.
:yeahthat:

Was going to be my suggestion or get the transport guy to pay you cash and fill in the export part of the v5

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He gave some details of cars he exported and screen shots of the cars and location photos. Nothing about the payment methods, think the transport guy is just from an auction style format so no cash from him I think.

Wants to talk it over, he wasn't happy about the questions!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
He gave some details of cars he exported and screen shots of the cars and location photos. Nothing about the payment methods, think the transport guy is just from an auction style format so no cash from him I think.

Wants to talk it over, he wasn't happy about the questions!
He could bank transfer the money to the transport guy the same as he would to you

Then off to the bank to put into your account job done :tup:

·
American Truck importer
11,742 Posts
He could bank transfer the money to the transport guy the same as he would to you

Then off to the bank to put into your account job done :tup:
not too fair on the transport guy if the account was false though and the bank take the cash back from him:sniff:

there must be a time limit on when the bank can retract if it was a false account though, so why not find out what that is and hold the car till that time has elapsed.
I get all this when I try to buy a car from the hambers or other usa websites, they just will not trust us at all, depsite the fact that they will have the money way before the car is collected. they are paranoid that we can empty their bank accounts from the details they give us. Hell, I had bother recently getting a guy to beleive me, even when I had a chap in the states phone him and offer to drive over to his and pay in cash! Took the guy a week to trust us.
I sold a van to a guy from Germany last year, he drove over with a van and trailer and paid in cash, all brand new £50 notes with mainly consecutive numbers. I thought "shit" what do I do on a Saturday late evening, can't take it to the bank, but he did have bank receipts and they were bundled in 1000's with the bank wraps round them. They were 100% genuine, no probs at all, the guy was a good 'un.

·
Nowheresville
3,049 Posts
:yeahthat:

Was going to be my suggestion or get the transport guy to pay you cash and fill in the export part of the v5
If you're selling to someone with an overseas address, you fill in the V5c with the new owner details, sign it, and let them take the whole thing (scan or photocopy it for your own reference). That's what I did for my truck, then wrote a letter to DVLA giving the new owner name as instructed in INS160 from the DVLA: I read it that the export part is only if you're moving abroad with the vehicle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts