Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All this is my first post and first Rod so here goes....
I took a Ford Pop hotrod in p/x on a 400bhp skyline Gtr i just sold..
The 'Pop' is the green one on fleabay at the moment..
The engine is a Rover 3.5 V8 that was all new around 12 months ago....its got around 900 miles on it now.
Specs are:
(SD block)
A.R.P bottom end (mains, caps ,shells, rods)
Big valve wildcats heads fully reworked, ported & flowed
Viper hurricane cams
Rhoads lifters
cloyes timing chain
Edelbrock performance inlet manifold
Holley 390cfm performance carb
Holley 600 lph fuel pump & Holley fuel filter
Hedman headers
Edelbrock air intake
M.S.D electronic ignition Ecu
M.S.D blaster multispark coil
Mallory electronic distributor
Moroso competition sump
lightweight alloy engine pulleys
Accel ignition leads
NOS Cheater Nitrous oxide system.
Transmission is:
3 speed Borg warner auto box with remote oil cooler mated to a competiton propshaft
Jaguar E-type rear axle shell fitted with strengthened halfshafts & diff

I,m disapointed with the performance ....i know it was never going to be like the skyline but am i asking too much?
The engine is running very rich, sooty plugs etc, i,ve had the Holley carb floats adjusted and the mixture screws adjusted but still running rich....is this the norm on this engine?
I know the Holley can be a nightmare to set up!
I would have expected more from this setup with the car being so light....
Any ideas people?

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,094 Posts
The car is probably heavier than you think, with all the new stuff it'll weigh in at least 1200kg . Often lack of performance on rods is down to final overall ratio , IF it is an E type diff with tall (28 inch upwards ) tyres I'm not surprised its disappointing.

My old Rover in the same weight of car ,tuned to a little less (about 20 bhp ) than yours used to give 0-60 in about 5 second mark. 4.1 diff 31 inch tall tyres ,top speed of around 130 (on paper).

I had no problems with my Holley ,btand new unit from Real Steel, their suggested jets , and no sootiness , and around 30mpg with my foot out of it , 25ish normally.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My Pop needs 2 people to push and its a lot heavier than you think as the guy says above...At the end of the day you have a very nice Pop for occasional use and a bit of fun not a daily street car

·
drag race addict
1,392 Posts
The engine is a Rover 3.5 V8 that was all new around 12 months ago....its got around 900 miles on it now.
Specs are:
(SD block)
Viper hurricane cams
Rhoads lifters
cloyes timing chain
Hedman headers
Edelbrock air intake
Moroso competition sump
Accel ignition leads
Transmission is:
3 speed Borg warner auto box with remote oil cooler mated to a competiton propshaft

I,m disapointed with the performance ....i know it was never going to be like the skyline but am i asking too much?
The engine is running very rich, sooty plugs etc, i,ve had the Holley carb floats adjusted and the mixture screws adjusted but still running rich....is this the norm on this engine?
Any ideas people?
With that spec you're lucky if it has 210hp.If the carb/timing isn't right then less.
If it has a stock converter then it'll be a slug with that cam and head combo.
Just stick your elbow out and burble..:D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
hmm .....
Just been upto my local drive on drive off free weigh bridge the car weighs 974kgs without me in it.
Its not the reason for the sale as i said i took the car as a px with the intention of using it but its just too small for me...like seriously small!
I could do with the seat to be at least another 8 inches back but because of the full roll cage you cant.....as it wraps around the back of the seats...
Just hope it can go to someone who will be able to use it.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,094 Posts
I'm REALLY surprised at how light that is :shock: My Pop ,pinto powered / Viva front and Anglia rear weighed in at 1012 and those jag rears are bloody heavy .

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The jump between 400bhp 4wd and rover v8 pop is huge!
Maybe i should just cut a hole in the roof and keep it lol!

·
phantom raspberry blower
794 Posts
I've got a evo 5 with 307 bhp and 314 torque and my 3.5 pop seemed very slow I've just put a 3.9 rover in and I noticed quite a differance but still slow compared with the evo but great fun to drive and its a squeezw for me to fit in as well (as I'm a fat bloke)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
ok i,ve read this & it sounds like a good rolling road tune would do you the world of good,But some stuff you could do at home is ...make sure the floats arnt stuck ..i could explain but it'll take a while,sounds like your running too rich,that can be sorted,but unlikely u will get the "feel" of 400bhp Unless your rover is seriously worked,you could speak to "charles at real steel" he knows his stuff.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've got a evo 5 with 307 bhp and 314 torque and my 3.5 pop seemed very slow I've just put a 3.9 rover in and I noticed quite a differance but still slow compared with the evo but great fun to drive and its a squeezw for me to fit in as well (as I'm a fat bloke)
More "well built" than fat surely Pete ?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I had a Rover powered Pop. It was a lot heavier than people thought , it weighed something like 2700lb from memory.

I dynoed the motor at 225hp without gas , we added the bottle and ran 11.5 with the wheels up.

Its really difficult to get lots of power from a Rover , a Chevy is much easier and cheaper to make power.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,094 Posts
2700lbs works out around 1227 kg , pretty near the 1200 area I was expecting from the spec , like I said earlier I'm very surpised by that weighbridge figure for this Pop.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi mate,this pop should be a lot better than it is,you say its running rich,it sounds like a carb problem.The rover should run fine with a good 390 cfm holley,check that you havn't got a rejetted 600 holley.Hope its been some help.cheers Paul.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Specs are:
(SD block)
Viper hurricane cams
Rhoads lifters
cloyes timing chain
Hedman headers
Edelbrock air intake
Moroso competition sump
Accel ignition leads
Transmission is:

Any ideas people?
Hi, Are the heads reaily wildcat ?? As wildcat stage 1 heads are the best you can get for a small rover, (Stage 2 for a bigger engine) I wasnt aware that edelbrock have an intake that fit the wildcat heads unless you have the adaptor, In which case id swap it for a huffaker high rise. You are using a 390 holley carb which is too small and i wouldnt even use on a standard rover. You should be using 500cfm or even 600cfm imo. The cam you are using (viper hurricane) is just a mild fast road cam for a standard engine. If you speak to ian richardson at wildcat he would recomend a 248 mechanical one for this type, The compression should be around 10.5/1 and get a higher stall converter and you will be heading in the right direction. Just my opinion and going from experience 8) Hope you do some tweeks with it and see how faster it should be. :smoke:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,094 Posts
Standard untuned Rover consumes 365 cfm , are you talking 500 Edelbrock or Holley as they are totally different flow rates ?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Standard untuned Rover consumes 365 cfm , are you talking 500 Edelbrock or Holley as they are totally different flow rates ?
I had a webber which i belive is same as edelbrock when i had a mildly tuned rover. I was told that the webber 500 was a better carb to use on rover v8 than the 390, It seemed more responsive with mine.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,094 Posts
I had a webber which i belive is same as edelbrock when i had a mildly tuned rover. I was told that the webber 500 was a better carb to use on rover v8 than the 390, It seemed more responsive with mine.
Yup, Weber IS Edelbrock but the flow rate is measured differently ie a 500 Edelbrock is not the same as 500 Holley ( if they do one ? ) A 600 Holley is HUGE for a 3.5 /3.9 Rover unless a large amount of work done to need it to consume 600cfm . Larger venturis slow down bottom end pick up , different states of tune for track and street :tup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts