Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently aquired 3 stock car racing programs dated june , july and august 1954 at Brandon stadium , Coventry , because they have photo`s of 32 tudors , v8 pilots etc ( being wrecked......):sniff: The stadium P.R man confirms thay were the 1st ever meets held there , but I was wondering if they were also the 1st ever meets in the u.k ?
also came with a " HOLLYWOOD Motor Rodeo " programme , no dates but same era , pix of `49--`50 fords in it

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm pretty sure the very first meeting was held at New Cross Stadium, Sarf London earlier in 1954. Indeed one of the posters on here, RR Roadster, has a connection as his dad Freddie Parsons was the first Englishman to win a stock car race there, driving a 30's Hudson. His race number was 42 and he may be in your programmes. They had to turn people away at New Cross as there was no more space! Thousands of people turned up.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
I think that the original promoter was Johnny Hoskins an Australian but I could be wrong. I used to race in the late '60s and he was the Promoter at Haringey, as you left the pits to go home he would give you a crate of beer.
It was Light Ale or Brown Ale in those days and in a real wooden crate. His last words were don't forget the empties.
You may enjoy the engine Paul.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
In a spooky coincidence me n timetravel are cruising the white nosebleeds over to the A21 meet tomorrow nite organised by ROADSTER RR ! I will take them along , will try to scan them soon , ( im carer for me disabled dad & have to move disabilty equipment to get to the bloody printer ! need bigger flat !! )
just checked , No 42 is listed as norman ingham ( bradford )
thanks guys

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'm pretty sure the very first meeting was held at New Cross Stadium, Sarf London earlier in 1954. Indeed one of the posters on here, RR Roadster, has a connection as his dad Freddie Parsons was the first Englishman to win a stock car race there, driving a 30's Hudson. His race number was 42 and he may be in your programmes. They had to turn people away at New Cross as there was no more space! Thousands of people turned up.
correctamundo,

I will try and find some interesting stuff.

Oh yea, The car was a 1934 Hudson Terraplane

·
Registered
703 Posts
" I think that the original promoter was Johnny Hoskins an Australian but I could be wrong "

Hi Rog, it was a guy called "Digger Pugh" in 54/55/56, recon he was an ausie with a name like that. I ll try and find out more.

·
Historian
1,564 Posts
I think that the original promoter was Johnny Hoskins an Australian but I could be wrong. I used to race in the late '60s and he was the Promoter at Haringey, as you left the pits to go home he would give you a crate of beer.
It was Light Ale or Brown Ale in those days and in a real wooden crate. His last words were don't forget the empties.
have ya got any more early Stock Car pics Roger? love to see 'em........

·
Stay cool, admit nothing
1,836 Posts
This thread is overdue! Lot of interesting stuff here: http://www.oldstox.com/TheEarlyDays.htm

And here's a handful of other random photos. Don't recognise the track. The last one is me disposing of some Japanese estate car. One day, maybe we'll look back fondly at these too :D

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
Something just to get started, ( I would need to go through my dads photos an programms which will take a little time,) heres a copy of I think the first meeting at New Cross in 1954 and a small newspaper cutting of freddie in 1954. Need to do my research in his stuff to confirm where.

Attachments

·
Registered
993 Posts
Looks real familiar, bet you wish you had it now! Then I could creep off with it tucked under my arm.

·
Historian
1,564 Posts
here's a pic from Keith Barber's book "Wildbill to Wildcat" of Tanya Crouch from Heathfield Sussex in 1954 and her Bandbox Shampoo sponsored '34 Ford which she drove to the races, imagine seeing her in your rear view mirror:shock: In one week she drove from Heathfield to Belle Vue for the Wednesday evening meet and won her heat, then drove down to Plymouth on the Thursday where she won again and then onto London for the Harringay meet and another win:tup:

·
Historian
1,564 Posts
If you've not seen it before here's some early sixties action from Arlington I posted on Youtube a couple of years ago.............

·
Stay cool, admit nothing
1,836 Posts
If you've not seen it before here's some early sixties action from Arlington I posted on Youtube a couple of years ago.............
That is brilliant, mate! Best thing I've seen in ages. Cracking soundtrack too. :tup:

I grew up in Hailsham and Eastbourne and used to go to Arlington a lot in the 1970s. Had the stands and the speedway track by then. I've raced bangers there a couple of times too. If you're from Polegate I must know you. :eek::?:

·
Historian
1,564 Posts
went to Arlington last night where they had Historic Stock Cars. About 15 turned up including Triumphs, Mk1 and 2 Cortinas, an Anglia, MG Magnet and PC Cresta............ looking forward to Aug 19th when they've got Thora F1 and F2 with loads of Pops and Model Ys racing round the oval......

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Behind the painted smile.

A young (21) SG57 at Brandon Speedway in 1965ish. This was my first F1 Stock Car. The ingredients included girders, scaffold pipe, Morris LD axles, Jag engine and box wrapped in a nearly new VW body and Armstrong Siddley bonnet.
You were literaly thrown in at the deep end, no practice and you were on the front row of 24 screaming snorting 2 ton lumps (and that was only the drivers) LOL

Attachments

·
longroof society member
403 Posts
Rodger
would you rember a chap named Steve gatley from birmingham, my brother and I used to live next door to where he kept his stock car, It was our job to wash it on a monday night and paint the bumpers, Oh the sound of that v8 on open headers, could of only been about four or five at the time, still love the F1's though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts