Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a car built in 1964, I acquired it recently, it has been off the road for many years and the V5 (in my name) shows it as PLG. I went online and did a SORN declaration and got a confirmation number. The DVLA web site still shows it as untaxed and I have had a letter from the DVLA sent to me threatening fines/fire/war/famine if I don't tax it. I did a second SORN declaration which "worked" online but it still shows as untaxed........

How can I SORN it? Can I get it changed from PLG to Historic at a Post Office even though it is not roadworthy? I have an MoT exemption declaration form filled in.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,343 Posts
The SORN declaration won't work properly IF it wasn't declared SORN after 1998 . Only vehicles which have been SORNED can be SORNED again.

You can only chagne tax classes when you tax a vehicle. If you do this direct with DVLA they WILL want to inspect.

You CAN do this at the Post Office and then it doesn't normally require inspection.

Just fill in the chnage of vehicle taxation class on your v5C ( you do have a V5C and not just an old blue v5 ?) . Take it to the post office and walk away with your 'free' tax . No INSURANCE or MOT required .

Once the vehicle is Historic and you have the logbook back ten declare it SORN . If you forget to SORN then you are open to prosecutionunder CIE ( Continuous Insurance Enforcement ) which is their new money spinner .

·
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kev. Just been to the PO and they were very helpful. They are sending the V5 off for me and confirmed it’ll come back as Historic and I can SORN it thereafter. Not a problem if they want to inspect as it’s 100% stock but far from roadworthy!

·
Nowheresville
3,084 Posts
I'll have to try that, Kev. A few years ago I bought a car that hadn't been used since the '80s and seem to remember it wouldn't let me SORN online. I'm sure that it has shown as SORNed since then, but just checking again today it shows as untaxed. Hadn't tried the change of tax at the post office as assumed it would need insurance.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I've been mapping out some upgrades to my car and am tying to chunk things up so it's never without an MOT, as I think it will keep it a bit more under the radar and save the SORN hassle, plus it will motivate me not to leave it sitting. It is actually MOT exempt but I always get it done anyhow

·
Registered
6 Posts
Am I reading this correctly, you managed to tax it without insurance? That seems bizarre, but if its the case, I would get it SORN sharpish, because I think I'm right in saying that vehicles must be insured if they are taxed. They will be sending you a penalty notice before you know it.
I may however, have got the wrong end of the stick, which wouldn't be unusual!

·
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, all done through the Post Office. No insurance, MoT exemption form, V5 showing PLG taxation class. Helpful lady tapped away on the computer, gave me a receipt and sent the V5 back. I honestly think if it had needed to be insured it would have been flagged during the process.

I’ll see what the new V5 says when I get it.

·
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
According to the MIB rules it should be declared SORN as it isn’t insured rather than being taxed. I couldn’t declare SORN as the taxation class was wrong. How the PO managed to tax it escapes me but I can’t declare SORN as the V5 has been sent off to have the tax class changed. I can’t win!

·
6,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Checked my receipt, it shows all the transactions which show 12 months tax @ £0 and a tax class change. DVLA still show it as PLG but taxed so it looks like the V5 change is still in-progress. As I had written the V5 number down I have just done a SORN declaration again, saved the reference number.

The DVLA system just doesn’t “compute” with non-run of the mill cases like mine!

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's surprising that the system is flawed enough to let you tax in that situation, but it is DVLA, not FBI !
I always take a photo of the v5c before parting with it to DVLA. Saves writing down the numbers incorrectly.
Anyway, sounds like you've got the job sorted.
Cheers, Dave

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,343 Posts
I was surprised when I found you could tax without insurance . However as they will fine youfor not having it then it wouldn't surpise me the 'flaw' is intentional?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts