Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems more car hire firms in the US are replacing domestic brands with Hyundai/KIA and the like. Is any one company more likely to stock US vehicles? Travelling to Seattle next summer and want a decent SUV - SIXT seem good on price, but with every firm offering X car "or something similar" don't want to end up with the wrong vehicle. This is from experience, as US stuff has always been great...had a KIA in California one year and it was really poor...screen surround fell out, the thing hadn't enough power to do hill starts in San Fran...and besides, in the US you want to drive American right?

·
Registered
208 Posts
It really I'd pot luck whatever they've got in the compound for to choose from at the time. Plus many 'foreign' brands are built on the US (Hyundai have a massive plant in Georgia) and a lot of US brands are built in Mexico etc.

Don't worry about what you drive, it'll only ever be a rental anyway, just enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Often you will get what's available or what you've paid for...you can stipulate something more to your liking but you will probably end up paying that bit more...all depends on your use....drive comfort-distance etc...On occasions we have ended with something bigger and better, so you could ask to upsize say a people wagon...theve done us good in the past..

·
Premium Member
14,421 Posts
i've always used allstatescarhire.com and you choose what car you want from their drop down list. they are an english company too if that makes a difference.
neil.

·
stitchmeister
twin turbo LS 59 chevy apache
4,689 Posts
my advice is not to use sixt !!!!!!!!!!!! used them twice and both times had very bad experience's ………. Alamo is more expressive but you will find that what you are quoted you will pay as with sixt it is cheaper when you book it but when back in uk you get extra charges that you cant do anything about that ends up being the same as what Alamo want plus Alamo give better cars .
I know it sounds petty but Alamo also clean there cars better than sixt !!!!!!!!!!! sixt just run it through there car wash and leave to dry in the sun meaning if you have a black car its all water stained but mainly glass and mirrors are so the 2 times I did use sixt I cleaned the glass and mirrors myself or am I just sad :beuj:
customer service from Alamo is far better and if there are any problems you can speak to a human and they are happy to help .
I don't even bother price searching anymore just go straight to Alamo :tup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've hired quite a few cars (and bikes) stateside and as mentioned earlier it's pot luck, last twice went for domestic brands and they were shite, better off with a Nissan or Toyota if your looking for a sedan. I had a Chevy Impala last time as soon as we got up to 60 on the freeway it started shaking like a shitting dog, only replacement they had at the time was a Nissan crewcab pick up....... much better

·
Registered
208 Posts
The last Impala I hired the seat felt like there was an iron bar running across my arse. I switched it for a Mitsubishi and it was Heaven!

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
Last couple of times I've been over to the USA I've bundled the car hire with the flight on BA. For some bizarre reason this drops the price of the flights as well as the car hire. can't remember which car hire company that BA specified in either case, but it was one of the US majors. Even when I've done the car hire separately I've always used Dollar or Alamo or similar, there are way too many horror stories about for the supposedly cheaper companies to make them attractive.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
there are way too many horror stories about for the supposedly cheaper companies to make them attractive.
Been there done that, I had the horror story from Hell with one such Co, wont post it all as its too long.
Met some Hispanics in a Hotel lobby, after leaving Orlando I headed straight up to INDY CYL Head through the night to discover the day after it had no rear light clusters in it:lol: , 2 tyres on the canvas, lost 3rd gear halfway to Dallas..... good?..times:D

·
Premium Member
14,421 Posts
as above i use allstatescarhire.com and you get a 'voucher' to use in the us. always either dollar or alamo and had no problems with either. the first time i got a voucher i was worried so called alamo at sanford airport, gave them the details and they said they had those vouchers all the time and it was fine. that set my mind at rest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts