Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a couple of US license plates for our kitchen wall.
Ebay has plenty and the prices don't seem too silly.

Thing is, I don't want to end up with a 'souvenir' plate.
Are there any surefire ways of telling if the plates are the real deal?
Going by the prices I doubt if there is any profit in forging the things, it's just that I know feck all about them and don't want to end up with something from the Route 66 gift shop.

So can anybody tell me what to look out for?

·
Registered
803 Posts
I think a good sign is to look for something that appears to have been fixed onto a car at some time. Things like some patina, marks where the bolts have been tightened and the tag stickers with a date on them. Avoid things that might say 'T BIRD' or 'VETTE', they're usually replicas, but genuine personalised vanity plates can be fun to collect. Try FRAMPERS PLATES on eBay, I recently bought a Montana Plate 'BAD GRL' as a gift for my wife from them, and they give an assurance that the plates are genuine. You can also usually find plates at the bigger car shows, where you can see before buying. A few years ago I picked up my favourite one, a New York plate 'O DIANNE', a Fleetwood Mac song from the 'Tusk' album! (I'm a FM fan...).
Be warned though...'a couple of plates for the kitchen wall' was how I started, now I've got lots more...

·
American Truck importer
11,742 Posts
buy the vehicles with the plates attached..............then gift the vehicles to me to sell:lol: I like Chevy pickups:whistle:

·
Vendor
3,390 Posts
there should be plenty of used plates knocking about over there the amount of vehicles that have come over with the plates still on, i never take them off even old black plates , look for one that actually looks like its been installed with the month & year sticker on it , then you,re good to go RAY A in sf

·
Registered
1,968 Posts

·
Full Bloody Rebel!
3,426 Posts
Hey Gene, you can have the Texas pair of my old heap. Come round sometime, buy me a beer and don't forget the plates when you leave!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Mark, I'll take you up on that. :tup:
Funnily enough I came through LK on my way home from work tonight.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts

·
American Truck importer
11,742 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.
jimmy.....you can fuck off! :D
aw! I thought it was a great idea too :pmsl:
I usually flog my trucks with the plates still attached, or in the cab if I've fitted UK plates, but if Graham gets to them before I take the photos for the ads, they're gone forever into his collection

1 - 12 of 12 Posts