14,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my th350 needs a vacume on the side of it
can i take this from the small pipe on the side of my holley carb

thanks

·
drag race addict
1,392 Posts
No, unless you want the trans to go into 2nd everytime you come off the throttle.
Permanent vacuum only, ie under the throttle or direct from the intake.

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahh ok so can you tell me what the small pipes on the holley should go to then
there is a big one at the bottom and also a small 1 at the bottom in the front and also a small 1 high up on the side

·
drag race addict
1,392 Posts
Small one up high = ported vacuum.That is for the distributor if you don't want vacuum at idle. Small one under the throttle = permanent vacuum. You can use that. The big pipe is permanent too, and used for either closed engine breathing or a servo.
It's better to have a feed for the modulator directly from the intake, there is usually a pipe plug you can remove, but at a pinch you can use the little one under the carb.

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thank you for the advice mate
my inlet manifold does have holes in it but they have blanks in them
ill see if i can find a adapter for 1 of these holes

thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
motors built to combat smog, they used various things to make your engine greener, ported vacuum, charcoal canisters, EGR, low compression

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you have modified a smog motor for more performance you may find it idles better with full vacuum, my motor idled rough with ported vacuum so I speed up idle which exposed transition slot in the Holley carb, then mixture screws don't work! I connected to full vacuum , reduced the idle speed screw, jobs a goodun!

·
Registered
164 Posts
After the oil crisis in the early seventies the cars got heavier and made less power, 5 mph bumpers, lower octane unleaded fuel and emission reduction all played a part, fortunately in this country we can tinker with it, as far as I know you cannot in California, dont know about the rest of America

1 - 12 of 12 Posts