Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. just a quick post from the commentary box at Shakey Raceway to say that one of the ex Sammy Miller Vanishing Point Rocket funny cars is running here this weekend. a shakedown run over the 1/8th by David Pertue from France netted a 3.480 @ 179 mph. He is going for a full quarter pass today.
Eric Teboul set a new personal best on the Rocket bike, of 5.483 @ 233.84 mph.

I will keep you posted!

sorry about the crap quality phone photo!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vanishing Point

David Pertue' just ran his first full quarter in the Vanishing Point rocket car. He posted a 5.177 @ 216.46 run, but veered left off of the run off area into the adjacent field. David is fine, the car has sustained some body and steering damage, but is basically ok and was towed back to his pit area.

Tony

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Smaaart. I remember Sammy running this at the pod back in the 70's. I think, breaking records at that time. I seem to remember a 4 second pass but that may be memories going berzerk.

·
Pass the lump hammer
550 Posts
Wikipedia says

Santa Pod was the venue in which the current world drag racing record, a time of 3.58 seconds at 386.26 mph (621.61 km/h) was set by Sammy Miller in his Vanishing Point Funnycar in July 1984 (a quicker 1/4 mile time of 3.225 seconds was set by Kitty O'Neil, but not on a drag racing surface)[1]. Another record has also been set at Santa Pod, the world's fastest jet car (notably Santa Pod's "resident") Fireforce 3 piloted by Martin Hill broke the record in Easter 2005 with a terminal speed of 336.10 mph (540.89 km/h)[2]. Several other European drag racing records have been set along with records unsurpassed outside the USA[3].

Santa Pod remains the fastest all-asphalt dragstrip in the world

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are the incrementles for David's run

60 foot .816 seconds
330 foot 2.151 seconds
1/8th mile 3.170 seconds @ 233 mph
990 foot 4.153 (at which point the fuel ran out)
1/4 mile 5.177 @ 216.46 mph

the 60 ft time would indicate a 0-100 time of around 1/2 second!

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Wikipedia says
Santa Pod was the venue in which the current world drag racing record, a time of 3.58 seconds at 386.26 mph was set by Sammy Miller in his Vanishing Point Funnycar in July 1984.
Another record has also been set at Santa Pod, the world's fastest jet car, Fireforce 3 piloted by Martin Hill with a terminal speed of 336.10 mph.
:shocked: I didnt know that! Imagine going from standing still to nearly 400 mph in 3.5 seconds :shocked:

And that Eric Teboul is a nutter.. i saw him run at the Pod once. What i love about it is, being a rocket rather than a jet, you have no idea when its going to go. For some strange reason people try to take photos of it moving but mostly all they get is a pic of the track, the bike having long gone
:pmsl:

·
Historian
1,564 Posts
Wikipedia says

Santa Pod was the venue in which the current world drag racing record, a time of 3.58 seconds at 386.26 mph (621.61 km/h) was set by Sammy Miller in his Vanishing Point Funnycar in July 1984 (a quicker 1/4 mile time of 3.225 seconds was set by Kitty O'Neil, but not on a drag racing surface)[1]. Another record has also been set at Santa Pod, the world's fastest jet car (notably Santa Pod's "resident") Fireforce 3 piloted by Martin Hill broke the record in Easter 2005 with a terminal speed of 336.10 mph (540.89 km/h)[2]. Several other European drag racing records have been set along with records unsurpassed outside the USA[3].

The speed was actually 285m.p.h. on that 3.58 run by Sammy Miller in July '84 although he did shut off before the eyes so was going quicker before he crossed the finish line. His 0-100 was 0.40secs equivalent to 12g

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
and i was there too!...

saw the run on saturday which ended in the field... simply amazing!
and to think it was his fourth run in the car....

i bet he shit himself.... :pmsl:

fair play and well done to eric and the team.

Sid.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
The speed was actually 285m.p.h. on that 3.58 run by Sammy Miller in July '84 although he did shut off before the eyes so was going quicker before he crossed the finish line. His 0-100 was 0.40secs equivalent to 12g
Ah! that sounds more believable, still awesome though.

·
My name is Martin
2,610 Posts
I'd love to see one of these go.

For some reason I always thought the rocket powered stuff was effectively banned for being too fast.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
i was aat the podin the early 80s when sammy miller ran that must be the loudest thing ive heard ,treid to get a photo of the start but got an empty frame lol and now there back groovey i love them mad asfuck lol

·
Registered
872 Posts
I heard tell Slammin Sammy had to clamp his tongue between his teeth so he didn't swallow it, and after a real good run the corners of his eyes used to bleed.....

·
Knowledge breeds power...
237 Posts
I'd love to see one of these go.

For some reason I always thought the rocket powered stuff was effectively banned for being too fast.
If my memory serves me right, they were never banned over here. I think the commercial availability of hydrogen peroxide dried up and it ended up too expensive to campaign them.
They may have been banned in the U.S. but, although there were certainly deaths over there with rockets and racing, I seem to remember that the ban was over fuel out there too...

May be completely wrong of course..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Although I wasn't present for these record runs, the event's commentators Tony & Simon have passed on all the announcers sheets completed by all concerned. David, a native from the moonlight city of Paris, has been part of Teboul's racing set up for sometime working on the Frenchman's Top Fuel Bike.

Photo courtesy of Rupert Barnes

Driven by former Top Alcohol Dragster racer Bob Feeler under the racing banner 'Satanic Rites' and more recently 'Satanic Machine', last weekend's runs amounted to the third full pass on the car after it's extensive rebuild, and had only made two test passes before coming to England. Although reworked at the front for better aerodynamics, the more familiar lines of a late model Trans Am has been manufactured out of lightweight (520 kg) carbon fibre. I'm sure that we'll be hearing a lot more about the 'Hydrogen' Rocket Funny Car especially if someone can locate Sammy's old rocket dragster 'Oxygen'. Now wouldn't that make a fearsome show combination!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts